Hostage: Missing Celebrity (2021) - Hwang Jung-Min

laagi

The trailer looks pretty intense. It's quite a bold move by Hwang Jung-Min to actually portray himself. Kind of creepy truth be told.

Also while I'm not assuming but is this a possible remake of "Saving Mr. Wu"? Which was based on a real life (celebrity) kidnapping in Beijing if I'm not mistaken. 

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
16 hours ago, laagi said:

Also while I'm not assuming but is this a possible remake of "Saving Mr. Wu"? Which was based on a real life (celebrity) kidnapping in Beijing if I'm not mistaken.

It is a remake, I remember several sources confirming the same back around the movies original release date before the pandemic hit. This is kind of a weird decision which doesn't quite sit well for some reason. In 'Saving Mr. Wu' Andy Lau is playing the actor who got kidnapped, even if it could just as easily be interpreted that he's playing a version of himself. Regardless though, he's not, so to remake a true story but swap it out for the actual actor to be playing themselves in a fictionalized version just seems a little odd.

16 hours ago, laagi said:

The trailer looks pretty intense. It's quite a bold move by Hwang Jung-Min to actually portray himself.

I guess if it worked for Cha In-pyo... :tongueout

Either way, I'm sure I'll end up watching this a few months from now, completely forgetting that this thread exists, and think "I'll have to let @laagi know about this one."

• Like 3

13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It is a remake, I remember several sources confirming the same back around the movies original release date before the pandemic hit. This is kind of a weird decision which doesn't quite sit well for some reason. In 'Saving Mr. Wu' Andy Lau is playing the actor who got kidnapped, even if it could just as easily be interpreted that he's playing a version of himself. Regardless though, he's not, so to remake a true story but swap it out for the actual actor to be playing themselves in a fictionalized version just seems a little odd.

I guess if it worked for Cha In-pyo... :tongueout

Either way, I'm sure I'll end up watching this a few months from now, completely forgetting that this thread exists, and think "I'll have to let @laagi know about this one."

Saving Mr. Wu also featured the actual kidnapping victim in a bit part. Which again is kind of odd.

I don't know maybe Hwang Jung-Min is trying to send a message BEFORE anyone gets any ideas.

And it looks like you beat me this once with Cha In-pyo... Actually had to google it :yociexp60:

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of mixed feelings for this one. From the get go it just didn't captivate me for some reason. It does pick up pace towards the second half. Featuring a pretty intense and well filmed car chase, also increasing violence.

Maybe it's just me who can't get over the fact that Hwang Jung Min one of the most famous korean actors would make a movie about his own kidnapping. It's such an awkward choice I can't wrap my head around it.

That's not to say that he doesn't deliver a good perfomance. So does for the most part the rest of the cast. Although Hwang Jung Min obviously takes center stage. I found the main villain pretty weak though to be honest.

Overall one can watch this for a few thrills here and there but I wouldn't really highly recommend it. Not to mention that while it's not an exact copy paste job, the similarities to "Saving Mr. Wu" are clearly there. With the latter at least IMHO being the superior movie.

• Like 3