Mystery of Chessboxing (1979) - Fanmade Digital Restoration

TheKungFuRobber

thundered mantis

I'm one of the people who bought tickets from 36 films, feel very grateful for them on showing those films, and feel very very grateful for @TheKungFuRobber ENOURMUS work for the genre. I don't think any part hurts the other one, but in the contrary.

She says that may at best 2 hundred people dl the work she generously makes available for the interested. I'd bet more for 20 people. A 130 gb torrent? Just a tiny fraction of the people here will dl, not even talking for the casual guy out there whose limit space for say, the Alien or LOTR saga is 30. 

What I think on the subject is that she's providing an aging fanbase with the best possible viewing experience of a movie which's been widely sold, resold and shown on the last 30 years on a mutilated, subpar form. If she thought the movie was gonna ever be restored and released in a better way, she wouldn't have wasted hours of her time tediously tinkering with a low res image source to give everyone interested the best possible image we'll probably ever seen. She would have used that time for other movies. I can only feel thankful we have a person with the tecchy knowledge, the time, the compromise and the generosity to give that to fans.

I've been hooked with the genre in 1992. Knew of this movie on 1993. Been waiting for a decent print for 28 years. Bought a couple of factory pressed Dvds, traded for a marginal better version, bought 36 films streaming I think that a couple of times. 

If we ever see a BD release, whether nice restored and full with extras, or a barebones one, I will totally buy. The 20 dl guys I bet an arm they'll also do. Maybe the casual friend of those who went to his pal's house and watched a nice version of MOCB, maybe that one will also buy if he sees the BD at a shelf, as he remembers, "woah, look! That was a hell of a trip!" 

Just my two cents, as it was told before, everyone's entitled to his opinion. 

• Like 8

Well, the intention of my post was not to down grade the work, passion and efforts of KungFuRobber. If that's how it came out, I'm terribly sorry. I think it's absolutely great that she goes through the headaches and work that it takes, it makes me happy that there is people that actually cares about these films.

I was just questioning the fact that she uploads it for free when there is someone who actually scanned the print to make it available for a rent, it isn't free to make a HD scan of a 35mm, and I'm sure it requires some work and restoration to get it clean etc. 

I fully understand that it's a work of heart and passion, and I appreciate that, didn't mean to come on like a grumpy idiot. 

• Like 5

TheKungFuRobber
43 minutes ago, Django said:

Well, the intention of my post was not to down grade the work, passion and efforts of KungFuRobber. If that's how it came out, I'm terribly sorry. I think it's absolutely great that she goes through the headaches and work that it takes, it makes me happy that there is people that actually cares about these films.

I was just questioning the fact that she uploads it for free when there is someone who actually scanned the print to make it available for a rent, it isn't free to make a HD scan of a 35mm, and I'm sure it requires some work and restoration to get it clean etc. 

I fully understand that it's a work of heart and passion, and I appreciate that, didn't mean to come on like a grumpy idiot. 

It's all good. I'm the grumpy one here mate. Don't let that be forgotten. Sorry if I was a bit too aggressive with you. I'm fairly certain that they got their money's worth in any case.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 8

TheKungFuRobber
17 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Oh ..

Apologies @TheKungFuRobber if I ever addressed you as a Geezer (Mr) via PM's or in threads, Oops!

all good, easy enough mistake to make.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ShawAngela

I'm more than impressed by the facts that :

1) such a very young member is interested in all these old martial arts movies

2) such a very young lady is interested in these movies 

3) such a very young lady is so skilled and devoted to the genre to restore these movies and give us such excellent releases

I already bought from her :

1) He has nothing but Kung fu

I already had the Tai Seng dvd in English

2) From the highway 

I already had the Hooker official release plus some other custom dvds 

3) Mad mad mad swords

I already had the Joysales DVD

4) Game of death 2

I already had legit releases and bought the hkl one from @teako170recently

5) Rebellious reign

I already had the Joysales vcd and the English subbed DVD

6) I'm waiting for Hot, cool and vicious to arrive

I already have the German language version as a bonus in an asialine dvd and if I'm not mistaken, I bought the Eastern Heroes VHS in English

7) Ninja in the dragon's den

It's the only one for which I still haven't an official release so far

8) Shanghai killers

I already had the Joysales vcd and DVD and the French language VHS

9) Hitman in the hand of Buddha

I already had the German language version, twice

10) Invincible obssessed fighter

I think that I have a French language DVD of this one

So, even if I buy from her, I don' t feel that it does any harm to the legit releases since I already bought them too, and if legit companies finally decided to at last release good quality dvds of these old movies in respect to all the fans who are longing to get them, people like Eve, or FuSubs in the past, or Greenfan, or NoKungFuForYou, Jamal or any other fan who does similar projects wouldn't have to restore themselves these gems in order to offer us the best releases. Besides, I guess that most of these movies are now part of the Public Domain, so, there is no harm to pick them and restore them, and I don' t think that Eve and her team make a HUGE benefit by selling them to us in comparison to the work, time, and technological costs they must have when restoring the movies...

So, I have only two things to say :

MANY THANKS AND KEEP ON GIVING US RESTORED GEMS, PLEASE !!

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

TheKungFuRobber

can I ask that people keep the torrent seeded for a bit if you can so that others can download it, as the internet archive servers are a bit slow, my upload speeds aren'ty great and other people have got to download it. thanks a lot.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Sadly, I don't do torrents so I'm going to miss out on the download. The Blu Ray is a must buy for me though. To see this film in crisp HD will be an absolute joy, I'm sure.

• Like 4

TheKungFuRobber

154695455_mysteryofchessboxingcoverart.thumb.jpg.70b4d5f434aad8899d2ab541167fcfc9.jpgMade this. Don't like it though.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Made this. Don't like it though.

I like it, but maybe a little too much use of purple in the colour scheme. I'd go for a black and white backdrop for the chest board.

• Like 4

TheKungFuRobber
16 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I like it, but maybe a little too much use of purple in the colour scheme. I'd go for a black and white backdrop for the chest board.

Yeah maybe. Thanks for the feedback friend I appreciate it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

That's exactly what I was about to write.

Also, Maybe that the green an blue guys shouldn't be side By side, but I won't know where to place the green one since they are all so close...

Or maybe replace the green colique by the purple one if You switch  the peuple background with the black and white one.

• Like 4

I can see it would be polarizing but I also like this design. Rather than the usual staid or safe design, this one is a bit more adventurous while still sticking to the original artwork. Plus it will definitely be easy to spot on the media shelf with its bright colors.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

Ninja Sinai

I designed a custom cover for Kung Fu Robbers release.. I wanted to retain the look of the original poster but make it look more slicker with some new modern touches etc.

Let me know what you think..

DVD_Case_Mockup_3.jpg

Edited by Ninja Sinai
  • Like 8

TheKungFuRobber
2 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

I designed a custom cover for Kung Fu Robbers release.. I wanted to retain the look of the original poster but make it look more slicker with some new modern touches etc.

DVD_Case_Mockup_3.jpg

It's for a blu ray, not a DVD. But very good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

DVD_Case_Mockup_3.jpg

I like the purple title, but I don' t see the chess elements.

But it's very beautiful even without the chess elements.

• Like 1

Ninja Sinai
17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I like the purple title, but I don' t see the chess elements.

But it's very beautiful even without the chess elements.

I added chess elements in the background. If you zoom in you should be able to see them. Maybe I’ll bring them out a touch more. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ninja Sinai said:

I added chess elements in the background. If you zoom in you should be able to see them. Maybe I’ll bring them out a touch more. 

Sorry, on my mobile I didn't see it. It's perfect, then !

• Like 3

Ninja Sinai
41 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Sorry, on my mobile I didn't see it. It's perfect, then !

Thanks man. Glad you like it.

I’ll work on the design for the back cover and hopefully post an updated version tomorrow. 

• Like 2

thundered mantis
4 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

DVD_Case_Mockup_3.jpg

That cover is ACE!!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

DVD_Case_Mockup_3.jpg

This is a great cover 👍👍👍👍

• Like 3