POLICE STORY 2 VS POLICE STORY 3

monk

2 feels like more of an actual sequel.  The events of the first movie motivate the returning characters, it retains Hong Kong as its primary setting, there's a lot of focus on Ka-Kui and May's relationship.  Supercop feels more distant and disconnected.  May's presence is shoehorned and unnatural.  She's just there because it's supposed to be part of the same series, if that makes sense.  And of course, 2 has that awesome playground fight and the bus stunt.  It feels like it's made of the same 'ingredients' as the original.  Supercop's a fine action-stunt movie, Michelle Yeoh is a worthy costar.  But the stylistic differences make it feel like a step down to me.  I can understand why the New Line (or was it Dimension?) version omitted its titular connection to Police Story, it works as a standalone.

That goes double for First Strike.  Being a Police Story sequel feels like an afterthought.  Despite being a reboot, and being (nominally) different characters, I found New Police Story to feel much closer to the first two films, and prefer it to 3 and 4.

2013/Lockdown is nothing, unworthy of the legendary pedigree it attached itself to.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

As much as I like Police Story 3, it is more stunt driven. Police Story 2, like the first one, is the perfect blend of stunts and fight scenes.

• Like 4

Josh Baker

Wasnt it Jackie's prerogative to focus more on stunts Armour of God 2 onwards, because he wanted to compete with Hollywood action movies? He said Kung Fu was a thing of the past.

Having said that I think Police Story 2 is a really solid movie, and is more narratively consistent than the first one, even if it does mean it gets a bit too plot driven for its own sake in the second half.

I havent seen the Cantonese version of Police Story 3 but I remember really enjoying the Dimension version when I was 13, but I guess thats not the real version of the movie? Tbf Police Story 3 is only cut by 7 minutes, which is a lot less than some of the victims  of the Dimension hacksaw like Twin Dragons and Armour of God 2. Dont get me started on Accidental Spy!

• Like 2

Cognoscente

That's true. In an interview for Inside Kung Fu, Jackie talked about wanting the mercenaries in OC to be competent fighters but not martially artistic dynamos.

Dimension really messed up how Chinese movies were perceived in the West.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2

Josh Baker
Just now, Cognoscente said:

That's true. In an interview for Inside Kung Fu, Jackie talked about wanting the mercenaries in OC to be competent fighters but now martially artistic dynamos.

Dimension really messed up how Chinese movies were perceived in the West.

Yeah man, I almost made a video on that, I probably need to finish it at some point. The Americanisation of those movies was highly short-sighted, but it worked when I was a teenager watching Rumble in the Bronx for the first time and falling in love with it, and Im not sure if the same thing wouldve happened if I were watching the Cantonese version. Was it a necessary evil maybe?

• Like 2

Cognoscente

In the case of RITB, it was necessary because people in the West know what bad English acting sounds like.

• Like 3

Josh Baker
Just now, Cognoscente said:

In the case of RITB, it was necessary because people in the West know what bad English acting sounds like.

Yeah, youre completely right about that, and to that point I'm surprised Sony didnt do a full dub on Who Am I? because that film was made in a similar way and for some reason didnt dub over the bad English acting.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I guess the logic was that Jackie was so popular that you could get away with bad acting, but then WAI? wasn't given a mainstream theatrical release in the West.

• Like 2

Josh Baker
1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

I guess the logic was that Jackie was so popular that you could get away with bad acting, but then WAI? wasn't given a mainstream theatrical release in the West.

Yeah I never understood why Sony released it straight to DVD in the US, I think Who Am I wouldve been a big financial success in the States (it's one of the best 90s Jackie movies imo)

• Like 2

Cognoscente

England's Channel 5 played the Hell out of this movie, so even they knew they were onto something special.

• Like 2

HeavenSword

I watched Police Story 2 last night for the first time in years . I kinda have the same reactions as others. Great movie with amazing stunts and choreography that unfortunately gets sluggish for about 15 minutes in the middle. There’s also one too many bathroom jokes and the running gag of breaking glasses…..but was anyone else kinda disappointed with this finale ? 

Its a good one when it comes to the stunts and explosions but the problem I have is the same one I had with Project A II. It’s like Jackie forgot how to fight . The way he gets the upper hand on the villains was kinda cheap . One of them trips and falls out of a window , he throws another guy out a window and the fight with the deaf guy Jackie wins by throwing those Poppers at him .  It’s played out more for laughs and I gotta say that was frustrating to watch Chan get beat and barely get a hit in . 

• Like 3

Cognoscente

The finale didn't have that same aggression and rhythm that the first one had despite having a superkicker as one of the foes.

The problem with Jackie's late '80s movies is that he stacked the bar so high with the villains that there had to be a cop-out in order for his victory to be convincing. It's the same thing that happened when he worked for Seasonal.

• Like 3