Ending fight scene in The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe?

Yihetuan

I watched the blu ray of this put out by Wild East last year and it's supposed to be uncut but I recall the ending showed Chen Lee thrusting his hand inside the chest of Mikuja (the Japanese samurai?) and pulls his heart out. The Wild East version only shows him thrusting his hand inside the chest cavity and blood spurting before it abruptly cuts to the scene at the Mexican village.

Was I always imagining the heart in the hand or is this version censored?

You can see the timestamped part I'm talking about here in this clip:

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

I watched this last year. Or maybe it was earlier this year. Anyway, can't remember if it included the heart ripped out or not. I'm guessing not because I would probably remember that. Then again, I watch a lot of fu, so maybe not. 

• Like 3

I have a custom blu ray of a HD version i found online about 18 months ago. I'll check it out, i suspect it's probably the same source as the Wild East blu ray though.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

On 6/26/2021 at 3:35 AM, Yihetuan said:

I watched the blu ray of this put out by Wild East last year and it's supposed to be uncut but I recall the ending showed Chen Lee thrusting his hand inside the chest of Mikuja (the Japanese samurai?) and pulls his heart out. The Wild East version only shows him thrusting his hand inside the chest cavity and blood spurting before it abruptly cuts to the scene at the Mexican village.

Was I always imagining the heart in the hand or is this version censored?

You can see the timestamped part I'm talking about here in this clip:

Hi good question! This Blu-ray is the most complete version I am aware of. The theatrical 35mm print released in my neck of the woods was even trimmed in comparison. We never saw the "heart in the hand" but it is highly likely that it was filmed but cut out later as the hand thrust made that point. Showing everything would have been gratuitous in my opinion as is evident with the Klaus Kinski (Jack) scenes, on or off camera.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

Hi good question! This Blu-ray is the most complete version I am aware of. The theatrical 35mm print released in my neck of the woods was even trimmed in comparison. We never saw the "heart in the hand" but it is highly likely that it was filmed but cut out later as the hand thrust made that point. Showing everything would have been gratuitous in my opinion as is evident with the Klaus Kinski (Jack) scenes, on or off camera.

The only extra included in the blu ray is an interview with director, Mario Caiano and he states that he did film a scene with the "heart in the hand" which seems to catch the interviewer a bit off-guard but unfortunately, the interviewer doesn't press Caiano for further details.

• Like 2