shaw brothers movie poster wall scrolls

defangthewolf

Question

defangthewolf

thinking of printing vintage shaw brothers movie posters on wall scrolls. i want to focus on posters that were hand drawn and painted as it is a lost art, with maybe some exceptions. in addition, i want to expand the scope to retro anime, samurai, yakuza flicks. these will be officially licensed and printed on high quality material. will there be enough demand for it? would like you good folks opinion whether this is a good or bad idea.

Edited by defangthewolf
  • Like 2

10 answers to this question

I'm always a bit on the fence when it comes to repros no matter what it is. However, taking into consideration that this is already going more towards preservation as you mentioned it; might not be such a bad idea after all.

When you say hand drawn and painted, correct me if I'm wrong but those kind of posters for old Kung Fu flicks mainly originated from africa. There's a couple on eBay. Example below.

57_916229cf-00fd-449a-912e-75cf89012ee8_

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:55 PM, defangthewolf said:

will there be enough demand for it?

It's niche.  Even throwing in retro anime, samurai, and yakuza it's still niche, but maybe viable.  If you could find a source, including appropriate classic Bollywood posters probably wouldn't hurt.  Give it a shot but keep your expectations modest.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 4:41 AM, defangthewolf said:

i'm referring to official theatrical movie posters that feature hand painted art

Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 11-12-48 The Assassin Poster (ORIGINAL) Martial arts film, Kung fu martial arts, Martial arts movies.png

What a superb poster !

The Thai ones are also very beautiful, though sometimes not very faithful to the real actor's faces.

• Like 2

Really into this idea. Was actually wanting to make a wall scroll topic thread. retro anime, samurai, yakuza and bollywood flicks all sound like cool topics to me. 

Id love to see more of what you have in mind. Wanting some wall scrolls eventually. Now Idk of the history of them in hong kong film advertisements or display. I just know they became somewhat popular for anime at a time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I just picked up this original Thai poster. I love the style of Thai posters…

8E117BE2-8FD4-4C85-83FD-72140A283CA0.jpeg

Superb one !

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 8:26 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I just picked up this original Thai poster. I love the style of Thai posters…

8E117BE2-8FD4-4C85-83FD-72140A283CA0.jpeg

That's Duel to The Death with Damian Lau Chung Yan, Norman Tsui Siu Keung andFlora Cheong-Lin.  The artwork is nice and the characters look like they should.  Some Egyptian ones are hit/miss with the stars, others from what I heard did not have permission to recreate the likeliness.  The original HK one has an actual photo of the illustration at the top, that scene is so far away and blurred it's hard to recognize the two stars.  Great pick up.

• Like 2

Speaking of which, I did win this at an auction a while ago.

egyptian_one_armed_swordsman_BM14026_B.jpg

• Like 3

defangthewolf

i sent an email to celestial pictures (distribution email address) about licensing their poster illustrations back on the 9th july but no response yet. anyone know whats the best way to contact them to get a prompt reply?

• Like 1