The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

thundered mantis
Just now, ShawAngela said:

At last, after so many years with nothing new !

It would be so great if a company was able to release some if the ZiiEagle movies !!

Yessss, it´s been a long hard journey, but they are finally coming. I think we´ll see them, at least To Kill a Mastermind, Reckless Cricket and Ghosts Galore have surfaced on restaured versions on those chinese streaming sites. Thunderclap and I´ll Finally Knock You Down, Dad were on the ZiiEagle weren´t them?

• Like 4

MaskedAvenger85
4 hours ago, saltysam said:

I want someone, anyone to release a good version of Anomynous Heroes.

Absolutely! That would be freaking epic!

• Like 4

MaskedAvenger85
23 hours ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

Kudos to Arrow for providing the longer cut of Chinatown Kid and to our true "Champion of Shaolin," Terrence!  Looking forward to volume 2!

I love this set! Of course all of the movies are great, but for me I'm picking this up for Chinatown kid and Heroes of the east! I can't wait to see the features, and check out this book!!

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

Chinatown Kid is the most exciting thing for me on here. I used to be bummed because

Spoiler

Fu Sheng dies at the end, but it's the whole point of the film. He's a materialistic punk, at the end of the day, and Sun Chien's character won't even take the watch, as it's all blood money. Him going to jail for 20 years doesn't have the same impact, etc.

• Like 3

MaskedAvenger85
2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Chinatown Kid is the most exciting thing for me on here. I used to be bummed because

Spoiler

Fu Sheng dies at the end, but it's the whole point of the film. He's a materialistic punk, at the end of the day, and Sun Chien's character won't even take the watch, as it's all blood money. Him going to jail for 20 years doesn't have the same impact, etc.

Exactly. I feel him

Spoiler

going to jail in the end takes away something from the movie. You know what I mean? But when he dies, it is a stronger meaning. If that makes sense. Cause as you say he was a materialistic punk throughout the film, and brought it on himself.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

After years of a lot of us buying bootleg vhs, Red Sun boots, Dragon Dynasty and Region 3 releases everyone who is a fan of Shaw's should be supporting this boxset.  I personally own a bunch of different dvd releases of most of these plus digital through ITunes but I prefer good HD physical media.  Folks complaining about the size of the boxset can purchase this: https://www.checkoutstore.com/products/premium-standard-clear-blu-ray-6-disc-dvd-cases-14mm?variant=31757826326587&gclid=Cj0KCQjwraqHBhDsARIsAKuGZeEcpg6W9acdN5UzPUt1yr3p6aEDxMFiNQbYUmwbEb_hM6baHsyIXcoaAojAEALw_wcB

Edited by goldenarm
  • Like 9

FightingFool
11 hours ago, saltysam said:

I want someone, anyone to release a good version of Anomynous Heroes.

That would make good double feature with "condemned".

• Like 6

7 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Yessss, it´s been a long hard journey, but they are finally coming. I think we´ll see them, at least To Kill a Mastermind, Reckless Cricket and Ghosts Galore have surfaced on restaured versions on those chinese streaming sites. Thunderclap and I´ll Finally Knock You Down, Dad were on the ZiiEagle weren´t them?

I'll finally knock You down, Dad wasn't in the ZiiEagle, unless I'm mistaken.

I had the lu k to get a Malay vcd of it a few years ago in addition to à custom DVD and it's a great movie. Chin Siu Ho is excellent.

• Like 6

FightingFool
14 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Chin Siu Ho is excellent.

Yup. Lo Lieh. CKT and Lily Li great too. Not so fight filled movie but one of the best kung fu comedies Shaw made. There is laser disc too, don`t remember anymore did own it or not. Had stack of discs bought from HK  but eventually had to sell them and never ended up getting player(student times, and moved away from parents had to sell items so can afford studybooks,rent, bread, spaghetti and water. Money was supertight and had to sell many things as did not want to take loan).

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Forgot that I did have 5 Deadly Venoms on BD already, but heck, 11 films out of 12 isn't bad.

• Like 5

MaskedAvenger85
7 hours ago, Asmo said:

Forgot that I did have 5 Deadly Venoms on BD already, but heck, 11 films out of 12 isn't bad.

Agreed. I still think it would totally worth it!

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
14 hours ago, goldenarm said:

After years of a lot of us buying bootleg vhs, Red Sun boots, Dragon Dynasty and Region 3 releases everyone who is a fan of Shaw's should be supporting this boxset.  I personally own a bunch of different dvd releases of most of these plus digital through ITunes but I prefer good HD physical media.  Folks complaining about the size of the boxset can purchase this: https://www.checkoutstore.com/products/premium-standard-clear-blu-ray-6-disc-dvd-cases-14mm?variant=31757826326587&gclid=Cj0KCQjwraqHBhDsARIsAKuGZeEcpg6W9acdN5UzPUt1yr3p6aEDxMFiNQbYUmwbEb_hM6baHsyIXcoaAojAEALw_wcB

I must sound so ungrateful crying about the packaging instead of celebrating the films' Blu-ray releases, so I understand what you're saying @goldenarm. But I'm actually doing both. Yes, I am thrilled about the set's contents, but since we now live in a time where companies sometimes listen to direct feedback from the fans I want to be heard. I have been collecting movies since the days of VHS, and I have re-bought these films many times in a variety of home video media. For Shaw titles alone I have VHS, VCD, DVD- pretty much every IVL/Celestial martial arts/action/adventure/and horror title, plus a few comedies/dramas/musicals, plus BCI, Dragon Dynasty, Well Go, etc, and Blu-ray from multiple regions. I am a faithful consumer and I don't think it's a problem to say "Arrow, I'm your target audience and I don't like that kind of packaging." And I'm not alone. I've rarely if ever heard or read anyone else celebrating these big, unwieldy type packages. So regardless of what the companies may think "Oh, this huge box looks impressive!", we are the ones purchasing the product, and if we don't like it we should say so.

I don't want to buy a set for a premium price and then have to modify or replace part of it. It isn't asking too much that the product be made to please the consumer.

10 hours ago, Asmo said:

True. But I'd be very surprised if the quality of the Arrow release isn't an improvement over that old Blu-ray.

• Like 7

FightingFool
5 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

True. But I'd be very surprised if the quality of the Arrow release isn't an improvement over that old Blu-ray.

Newly translated subs are also good excuse for watching 5DV again. Will likely keep DD br for collecting purpose anyway.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
12 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

Newly translated subs are also good excuse for watching 5DV again. Will likely keep DD br for collecting purpose anyway.

For those that need an excuse to re-watch it. :wink:

I haven't sold any of my Shaw stuff as I've bought upgrades. I can't seem to let go of them.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

I have nothing against the physical form of this set. I do however hope that they will use the original SB poster artwork for each individual film. 

• Like 3

It's really enlightening-- on Home Video Boutique Facebook groups you'll find people who are interested in the set because the form of it makes it clear that it's a big deal but they don't know much about the films themselves, but then on Shaw fan groups a lot of people were totally unaware of Arrow as a brand and there was a lot of consternation about the need to upgrade.

When I was asking people why there weren't SB films in print in Region 1 a lot of people told me you couldn't make money on them because of bootleggers. I would suggest that there's two separate audiences for Shaw in America and someone, hopefully Arrow needs to bridge the gap because if they do-- we're gonna get DOZENS of releases a year.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

For those that need an excuse to re-watch it. :wink:

I haven't sold any of my Shaw stuff as I've bought upgrades. I can't seem to let go of them.

I give them away to friends as I upgrade-- I have five or so close friends I've introduced Shaw to and I like to gift them my old stuff because I know they'll enjoy it.

• Like 5

Shaolin Patriot
On 7/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, Yihetuan said:

Regarding The Super Inframan, they don't have it right now but it's not by choice as Arrow would "love to do it."

Screenshot_2021-07-11 ET13_PRODUCTIONS on Twitter.png

Do we have a full list of titles that Arrow has acquired?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

Do we have a full list of titles that Arrow has acquired?  

No, unfortunately I don't. Arrow will probably keep that information close to the vest until it's time for Vol. 2.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

Agreed. I still think it would totally worth it!

14 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Both valid points! I wouldn't let already owning one film on BD stop me from getting eleven other quality titles.

• Like 3

Though it's rather expensive ($176-ish pre-order) for us US residents, there's certainly some interest here even for titles I already own. But they had me at Dirty Ho with a new 2k master. Well, that and a few other titles. Then, we have to factor in all the possible extras, etc. Obviously, new subs of are of interest as long as they are good. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I must sound so ungrateful crying about the packaging instead of celebrating the films' Blu-ray releases, so I understand what you're saying @goldenarm. But I'm actually doing both. Yes, I am thrilled about the set's contents, but since we now live in a time where companies sometimes listen to direct feedback from the fans I want to be heard. I have been collecting movies since the days of VHS, and I have re-bought these films many times in a variety of home video media. For Shaw titles alone I have VHS, VCD, DVD- pretty much every IVL/Celestial martial arts/action/adventure/and horror title, plus a few comedies/dramas/musicals, plus BCI, Dragon Dynasty, Well Go, etc, and Blu-ray from multiple regions. I am a faithful consumer and I don't think it's a problem to say "Arrow, I'm your target audience and I don't like that kind of packaging." And I'm not alone. I've rarely if ever heard or read anyone else celebrating these big, unwieldy type packages. So regardless of what the companies may think "Oh, this huge box looks impressive!", we are the ones purchasing the product, and if we don't like it we should say so.

I don't want to buy a set for a premium price and then have to modify or replace part of it. It isn't asking too much that the product be made to please the consumer.

I have mixed feelings on the subject. For instance, I love my big awesome Gamera box, even though I can’t fit it on the shelf next to everything else. Excellent package for fans, and FAR superior to Criterion’s ridiculously unwieldy Godzilla book thingy. I’ll need to see better pictures of the Arrow box or an unboxing video before I cast my judgement on this one.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I’m unloading all my old crappy Kung fu DVDs as they get upgraded. I mean, really…Crash Cinema and Ground Zero…and if I had previously bought any of the IVL’s, I’d have unloaded those too because of the rotten remixes.

• Like 4

That Arrow set is so damn awesome I very nearly wept when I saw the announcement.

11 stone cold classics right there (as well as Mighty Peking Man - a fun, kitsch flick that I dig but would not consider essential by any means.  But hey, it has it's charms as well as it's fans).

As for the packaging, I'm torn - from the pictures out there it looks massive, but dammit, I'll find room!!

• Like 8