The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

kuenfist
Posted (edited)

Hm ..... this is not what i expected .... Nice to have a Shaw Brothers Swordsplay Movie Box but for me a more genre mixed up box like the first one would be more fun. Second point is most of the titels are already on Blu Ray.  No never before released ones no surprises. Ok we get the best ever quality for this movies - no framecuts good subtitels and extras. Maybe i will wait this time to buy it when it gets cheaper so i can spare money for other movies.

Edited by kuenfist
  • Like 1

Chemical Lemon
26 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Besides one armed swordsman I dont know any of these movies. So it is not a horror or supernatural boxset as assumed yesterday?

Yeah and apparently spiritual boxer 2 is not in this set so I wonder who’s got that one?  I assume 88. But maybe arrow intends to release some standalone movies similar to what they did when the first boxset came out (those were US only discs though). One weird thing to me is how many of the movies (mostly chu yuan directed gu long adaptations) are from series of movies with the same main characters but only one of the movies. It makes sense since the boxset has limited spots but also seems weird. I think the sentimental swordsman and the bastard swordsman are the only of these character series where you really need to see the first movie in order to fully get the sequel, but it’s still odd. It makes these sequels a bit tougher to release on their own (at least sentimental and bastard). Maybe arrow has plans for these. Would be weird to include them in a second swordplay boxset, but maybe standalone or as a means of rereleasing them in smaller boxsets. Probably just picked the first movies for a taste but kind of complicates those 2 series

• Like 4

ShawAngela

That's strange that they release Bastard Swordsman without Return of the Bastard Swordsman, Sentimental Swordsman without Return of the sentimental swordsman and Clans of intrigue without Legend of the bat...

It would have been great to get lesser known movies such as Crimson charm, Raw courage and so on...

• Like 4

Yggdrasil
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

That's strange that they release Bastard Swordsman without Return of the Bastard Swordsman, Sentimental Swordsman without Return of the sentimental swordsman and Clans of intrigue without Legend of the bat...

It would have been great to get lesser known movies such as Crimson charm, Raw courage and so on...

From my understanding, Shaw Brothers released over 200 films, didn't they?

You can't have them all in one boxset, so either Arrow is going to release them all on numberous boxsets overthe next 20 years or so, or just release the ones they have the rights to.

Knetan

Good mix of calling card titles, especially the One Armed Swordsman-trilogy, we get our first dip into early 70s Chor Yuen and his Wuxia film period, and some frenzied fantasy spectacle. Perhaps no oddities like Inframan but this will be fun. The interviews in my experience are the real highlights of these box sets. Adds so much context and puts people on camera that rarely get to speak of their work, like Ho Meng-hua in the first volume.

• Like 4

Super Ninja

Love that selection of titles, I'm definitely getting vol. 3. Only have a few on BR already. Personally, I'm glad the focus isn't on horror as speculated. Having sequels for some of these titles on the same box would be preferable, but I won't complain. Arrow's Shaw sets continue to be a must for me.

• Like 5

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Love that selection of titles, I'm definitely getting vol. 3. Only have a few on BR already. Personally, I'm glad the focus isn't on horror as speculated. Having sequels for some of these titles on the same box would be preferable, but I won't complain. Arrow's Shaw sets continue to be a must for me.

4 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

From my understanding, Shaw Brothers released over 200 films, didn't they?

You can't have them all in one boxset, so either Arrow is going to release them all on numberous boxsets overthe next 20 years or so, or just release the ones they have the rights to.

I don't complain either, I'm glad with the chosen movies.

Plus, Jade Tiger is a favorite of mine, and it never had a bluray release, unless I'm mistaken. The same for Sentimental swordsman and Bastard swordsman, so, this is great news.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

This is exactly what I thought. Bastard Swordsman with no Return of the Bastard Swordsman is a travesty.

• Like 3

Yggdrasil
5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

This is exactly what I thought. Bastard Swordsman with no Return of the Bastard Swordsman is a travesty.

Maybe later. I'm sure they are well informed by now.

• Like 1

HeavenSword

A huge plus for me on this box set is all the films are new 2k restorations 

• Like 6

lilmanjs
1 hour ago, HeavenSword said:

A huge plus for me on this box set is all the films are new 2k restorations 

Arrow says 13 of the 14, but that's still amazing!

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Thankfully, I don't have to jump on this pre-order (my wallet needs a break). November is a long way away.

• Like 1

AlexanderFu

Really wish The Lady Assassin was in here over The Lady hermit. Could do without the one Armed series again.

The Magic Blade, Jade Tiger, Avenging Eagle, The Sentimental Swordsman, Clans of Intrigue & Buddha's Palm make it a really good set. The best of arrow's 3 so far. This is up there with Shout's volume 3.

• Like 4

ironfistedmonk

I tweeted James Flower about Avenging Eagle and he said it's uncut

Good set this, only ones I'm not all that fussed about are 14 Amazons and Buddhas Palm, love the Chu Yuan films, Intimate Confessions is just quality and yeah, Avenging Eagle apparently uncut

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yggdrasil
2 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

I tweeted James Flower about Avenging Eagle and he said it's uncut

Good set this, only ones I'm not all that fussed about are 14 Amazons and Buddhas Palm, love the Chu Yuan films, Intimate Confessions is just quality and yeah, Avenging Eagle apparently uncut

Let's hope it has in sync subtitles with Mando.

• Like 3

lastninja

Back then, I had noted on the DVDs of "Clans Of Intrigue" that both the Hong Kong DVD from IVL and the French DVD from Wild Side are censored. Specifically, there is a nude bathing scene with Betty Pei Ti and a lesbian kissing scene with Nora Miao. What are the chances that the film is included uncensored here?

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, lastninja said:

Back then, I had noted on the DVDs of "Clans Of Intrigue" that both the Hong Kong DVD from IVL and the French DVD from Wild Side are censored. Specifically, there is a nude bathing scene with Betty Pei Ti and a lesbian kissing scene with Nora Miao. What are the chances that the film is included uncensored here?

According to a picture posted by Fred Ambroisine on Facebook, the kiss scene should be here. I also discovered this scene on ebay, where a seller sells his Siren dvd with a  cover that shows this scene. At first, I thought that it was a fak,e because I thought that it was the same cover as Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan, and I didn't recognize Nora Miao, but she has the same mark on the forehead as Nora in the movie, so, it must be her.

• Like 2

saltysam

I've pre-ordered this from HMV using a 20% off code for £95.99. Any UK peeps after this should order from there using a code,a nice discount.,

• Like 2

Rando1975
On 6/6/2024 at 5:42 PM, saltysam said:
  • One-Armed Swordsman trilogy

Finally! Now I can upgrade my Hong Kong blu-rays of the trilogy. And upgrade my dvd of Avenging Eagle.

Rando1975
On 6/7/2024 at 12:47 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Thankfully, I don't have to jump on this pre-order (my wallet needs a break). November is a long way away.

Same here. It looks like 88 Films is releasing some more Shaw Brothers over the next few months, so I can get those and save the big purchase for November.

• Like 2

ChillyChong

This set looks good if korean version of Constable and stellar disc of avenging eagle.and nice to see chu yuan.but it is not superexciting. Love green box look.

• Like 1

AlexanderFu

I guess volume 4 will be yellow. That would have been a great color for the Chor Yuen films.

Pursuit of vengeance, Return of the Bastard Swordsman & Return of the Sentimental swordsman & Legend of the Bat need to go in the next set to complete the movies in volume 3

• Like 1

Super Ninja

Isn't Bruceploitation Collection Vol. 2 also announced for November? That's two big ones dropping within the same month.

My BDay is in November, I'll have to test just how much my family and friends love me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 6/6/2024 at 6:29 PM, AslanBey said:

Besides one armed swordsman I dont know any of these movies. So it is not a horror or supernatural boxset as assumed yesterday?

No, it isn't "horror". It's wuxia-pan/swordplay films.

• Like 1

saltysam
6 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Isn't Bruceploitation Collection Vol. 2 also announced for November? That's two big ones dropping within the same month.

My BDay is in November, I'll have to test just how much my family and friends love me.

Given how long Volume 1 took to appear from being rumoured/appearing i'll be very pleasantly surprised if Clones Volume 2 comes out this year.

• Like 4