The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Got a notification from Arrow Films a few days ago confirming that my separate 4K copies of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and The Way of the Dragon have been dispatched.

• Like 1

Besides the booklet, is there any major features not included on the individual Bruce releases that were in the box set?

Edited by bickle14

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Regarding the individual boxsets made from the first Shawscope, does anyone can tell us if each movie has its case,

Each disc is inserted in a slot in a thick page. Half the disc is covered, half not, for easier removal from the page. Nine discs, so 9 fat pages in an inch+ thick book. Plus a separate booklet with pictures and text, in the boxset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Each disc is inserted in a slot in a thick page. Half the disc is covered, half not, for easier removal from the page. Nine discs, so 9 fat pages in an inch+ thick book. Plus a separate booklet with pictures and text, in the boxset.

Thanks, but I actually talked about the four mini boxsets they recently released. I have the two giga boxsets you describe.

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Regarding the individual boxsets made from the first Shawscope, does anyone can tell us if each movie has its case, please ?

Brick&mortar store got them week ago but haven`t been there(I go probably tomorrow and can tell is someone has not nailed it).. From this pic can take a guess no separate cases, boxes of 3&4 discs and bottom/top loadable slipcase.

Sieppaa2.PNG

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChillyChong said:

Brick&mortar store got them week ago but haven`t been there(I go probably tomorrow and can tell is someone has not nailed it).. From this pic can take a guess no separate cases, boxes of 3&4 discs and bottom/top loadable slipcase.

Sieppaa2.PNG

What does the reversible sleeve look like?

On 11/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Thanks for that. I've saved 80 odd quid.

I just think these slips look amazing. I am a sucker for beautiful artwork on a boutique label slipcover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Getting a Stateside release from Arrow

SHPLOT.jpg

Why do I get more excited when Arrow releases these films that I already have ?

I have Shawscope Volume 1 , but look at that cover art on the stand-alone versions 

I have the Bruce Lee set , but look at the cover art on the stand-alone versions 

I have Shaolin Plot from Eureka…..but look at that great cover art from Arrow !!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:15 PM, Django said:

What does the reversible sleeve look like?

This is the Lau Kar-Leung reversible cover. 

20231206_200852.jpg

Edited by BLfan
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Anyone who doesn't mind a damaged or open box item can get Shaw Vol 1 for $60 at diabolikdvd.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 18-27-30 DAMAGED Shawscope Volume One (Arrow US Limited Edition) (Blu-Ray) – DiabolikDVD.png

I was kinda hoping Arrow would do what they did for Shawscope 1 on 2 and repackage. Anyone hear they might? 

BigDruDogg
2 hours ago, Scottfu said:

I was kinda hoping Arrow would do what they did for Shawscope 1 on 2 and repackage. Anyone hear they might? 

I haven't heard they were doing it, but it seems very likely. It'll probably be released toward the end of the year again if they do so

• Like 1

starschwar

A very interesting detail in the "wish list" segment:

Spoiler

Hard Boiled is featured.  Along with a clip from the movie.  Now, if Arrow can get clearance to show a snippet of the movie in their little poll video... makes one wonder what other rights can be obtained from these notoriously hard-to-license John Woo classics... 

• Like 6

Yihetuan

I know some missed out on the 4K UHD box set & it's OOP and used copies are going for crazy prices on eBay. But Grindhouse has a dented box set for sale right now.

Screenshot_20240403-120619.png

Graeme Of Death

Bought the Shawscope 2 boxset, £70 on the sale. Started working my way through them. Might be a bit of kung fu heresy here but I remember The 36th Chamber of Shaolin being better. The highlight really is the middle section with all the mad training. 

Watched Return to the 36th Chamber next and it really is one LKL worst. Gordon Liu is so irritating in it.

There's a good extra on it, Citizen Shaw, which is an old French TV program about the Shaw Brothers studio. Lvoed the bit where it shows all the folk in the room recording the fighting sound effects :)

• Like 4

Love Return To The 36th Chamber. It's expected Shaw's was going to make a sequel and respond to the growing kung fu-comedy trend. But the thing that gets me is the setup of a world where Monk San Te has made an impact to the point imposters are coming out of the woodwork and that cues up a delightful, comedic performance by Liu and some clever gags. Scaffolding kung-fu for the win.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
44 minutes ago, Knetan said:

Love Return To The 36th Chamber. It's expected Shaw's was going to make a sequel and respond to the growing kung fu-comedy trend. But the thing that gets me is the setup of a world where Monk San Te has made an impact to the point imposters are coming out of the woodwork and that cues up a delightful, comedic performance by Liu and some clever gags. Scaffolding kung-fu for the win.

I'm with @Knetan, I find myself re-watching the sequel more than the original!

• Like 2