The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

In the extras on the BD Yuen Biao talks about filming that scene and how they did the blood bursting from the head from many different angles to try and hide the blood packet. Sammo, Biao and Frankie Chan interviews were all cut together as a special feature, they all had good things to say about each other while making the movie and they all praised Lam Ching Ying. I love the guy but the no eyebrows look is just so weird in this one...

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
On 9/19/2023 at 1:46 PM, inframan said:

In the extras on the BD Yuen Biao talks about filming that scene and how they did the blood bursting from the head from many different angles to try and hide the blood packet. Sammo, Biao and Frankie Chan interviews were all cut together as a special feature, they all had good things to say about each other while making the movie and they all praised Lam Ching Ying. I love the guy but the no eyebrows look is just so weird in this one...

That's a cool special feature and I was glad they all had respect for one another.

Yes, Lam does look weird, but it makes sense for the role that he wouldn't have eyebrows. His character is famous for playing female roles, and shaving his eyebrows would better enable him to apply his makeup. Men's eyebrows are typically much closer to the tops of their eyes than women's are, so female impersonators sometimes shave their eyebrows so they can draw them back on in a higher position to create the illusion of more feminine features.

It's amazing the impact and longevity that these movies have. Last week I was at a store and a stranger commented enthusiastically on my FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH shirt, I thanked him and told him about 36 Styles (shameless plug here :tongueout: https://www.36styles.com/product-category/36styles/page/3 ). He asked if I had any Wing Chun shirts. He'd seen the IP MAN movies and they inspired him (at 50 years of age, with no prior martial arts training) to try the style himself. He said he'd been practicing now for just over a year and that it had changed his entire mindset and saved his life. He said he felt peace now and a lack of fear that allowed him to feel lighter of mind and body. We spoke for a bit about the benefits of training in the arts, then I asked him if he'd ever seen WARRIORS TWO and PRODIGAL SON and he hadn't. So I gave him my highest recommendation that he should seek them out (cool that they're now available here in the US uncut, and looking as they should) and he typed the info into his phone. I'm excited for him. :bigsmile:

• Like 7
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if this was even brought up before or discussed already- does anyone notice that the Angela Mao arrow set "becomes" a Eureka Blu ray? I accidentally left my player on region B and the menu has Eurekas style and logo written on it. When you set it back to Region A, it's back to being an Arrow style Blu ray. Not sure if this was brought up already but if not, could anyone explain this? 

8 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I'm not sure if this was even brought up before or discussed already- does anyone notice that the Angela Mao arrow set "becomes" a Eureka Blu ray? I accidentally left my player on region B and the menu has Eurekas style and logo written on it. When you set it back to Region A, it's back to being an Arrow style Blu ray. Not sure if this was brought up already but if not, could anyone explain this? 

:)

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 9/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, Ah_Tao said:

Some titles from both Arrow and Eureka are multi-regional. For me, that's a good way of owning two different editions of the same movies. You'll get at least different set of subtitles from each edition (Arrow has the superior ones).

Still shows up as $35 for me. Plus I was able to purchase it at that price.

Edit: the price has increased to $100.

Edited by nahnahnah

Has anyone had any issues woth Arrow not completing orders correctly? Still waiting for Stray Cat Rock collection which I bought the same day as Doberman Cop.

Only Doberman Cop arrived on Saturday from Royal Mail which I signed for and Arrow says the order has been signed for.

Well then Arrow, where Stray Cat Rock.

I'm well pissed off.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Has anyone had any issues woth Arrow not completing orders correctly? Still waiting for Stray Cat Rock collection which I bought the same day as Doberman Cop.

Only Doberman Cop arrived on Saturday from Royal Mail which I signed for and Arrow says the order has been signed for.

Well then Arrow, where Stray Cat Rock.

I'm well pissed off.

That sucks. Did Arrow explicitly say your order was sent in one package or that your order may arrive in multiple packages? If they did sent it in a single parcel, then I would raise hell with them considering they mucked up packing your order and forgot to put in Stray Cat Rock. Considering your order history, I'm sure they'll send you a replacement copy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

That sucks. Did Arrow explicitly say your order was sent in one package or that your order may arrive in multiple packages? If they did sent it in a single parcel, then I would raise hell with them considering they mucked up packing your order and forgot to put in Stray Cat Rock. Considering your order history, I'm sure they'll send you a replacement copy.

I followed my email which included the picture of what was coming, which was Stray Cat Rock. I assumed I'd get both in the same package. Obviously not.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, MobFu1972 said:

INDIVIDUAL RELEASES  COMING FOR CHRISTMAS

Screenshot_20230913_152419_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230913_152405_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230913_152428_Chrome.jpg

I might order these for space and the slip covers are amazing🔥‼️  OUCH MY WALLET 🙄🙄🙄‼️‼️‼️

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=21618828&postcount=73202

"Hi all. Just received my copy of Way of the Dragon 2 disc Blu-ray and wanted to let others know that Arrow have put in the wrong bonus disc. It should be the one with the new 223-minute essay called The Final Game of Death, but they have put in the one that contains the two old documentaries, Bruce Lee: The Man & The Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: The Legend (1984)."

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=21618828&postcount=73202

"Hi all. Just received my copy of Way of the Dragon 2 disc Blu-ray and wanted to let others know that Arrow have put in the wrong bonus disc. It should be the one with the new 223-minute essay called The Final Game of Death, but they have put in the one that contains the two old documentaries, Bruce Lee: The Man & The Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: The Legend (1984)."

Really?? Oh no hope they didn't have a change of heart!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Really?? Oh no hope they didn't have a change of heart!

Arrow screwed up unless things changed since the original specs...............

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 4:36 PM, MobFu1972 said:

I might order these for space and the slip covers are amazing🔥‼️  OUCH MY WALLET 🙄🙄🙄‼️‼️‼️

Have these films been released on the Shawscope boxsets?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Have these films been released on the Shawscope boxsets?

Yes. This is essentially most of Shaw scope 1 broken up into three different releases minus Mighty Peking Man and the OST

2 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

Yes. This is essentially most of Shaw scope 1 broken up into three different releases minus Mighty Peking Man and the OST

Thanks for that. I've saved 80 odd quid.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Yggdrasil said:

Thanks for that. I've saved 80 odd quid.

You're welcome! Most of these are new remasters from Arrow to replace those old Celestial ones. They're really worth getting before it's bought out

18 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

You're welcome! Most of these are new remasters from Arrow to replace those old Celestial ones. They're really worth getting before it's bought out

Meaning the ones on shawscope isn't as good quality as these new versions? I never had the original Celestial DVD's.

2 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Meaning the ones on shawscope isn't as good quality as these new versions? I never had the original Celestial DVD's.

Celestial remasters were made for about 95 percent of Shaw's catalogue in the 2000s. They are pretty old remasters with the controversial frame cuts to save money (meaning that a couple of seconds or even minutes were removed). The arrow remasters are brand new and uncut. The film may look a little old like on Chinatown Kid- but they're in the best quality you can get them to be

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

Celestial remasters were made for about 95 percent of Shaw's catalogue in the 2000s. They are pretty old remasters with the controversial frame cuts to save money (meaning that a couple of seconds or even minutes were removed). The arrow remasters are brand new and uncut. The film may look a little old like on Chinatown Kid- but they're in the best quality you can get them to be

Thanks for that. I'll stick to my Shawscope and see what Arrow has in store for Vol 3 and beyond.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

The film may look a little old like on Chinatown Kid

That depends on the version.  The shorter version with exclusive scenes and alternate ending looks pretty much pristine.  The longer (original?) version was taken from a theatrical print, not negatives, so any scenes that are exclusive to that version do look a bit worse by comparison.  The opening credits are the biggest offender, and I'm not 100% sure why since they seem to be the exact same footage in both versions, with the only difference being the actual text of the credits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, starschwar said:

That depends on the version.  The shorter version with exclusive scenes and alternate ending looks pretty much pristine.  The longer (original?) version was taken from a theatrical print, not negatives, so any scenes that are exclusive to that version do look a bit worse by comparison.  The opening credits are the biggest offender, and I'm not 100% sure why since they seem to be the exact same footage in both versions, with the only difference being the actual text of the credits.

The shorter version is the print Celestial restored many years ago. It's pretty cut and I'm not sure why they chose to restore that version over the original cut. It's not the only film they did that to- Avenging Eagle for instance has a portion of the final fight scene missing