The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

To me, a pretty key part of what's so striking about Longmore's covers is the color, which presumably is all him. Whether he's drawing/painting over photo references or applying filters, whatever it is allows him to pull off some really impressive color work that probably wouldn't work as well with a more straightforward Photoshop collage.

• Like 1

I just emailed Arrow and asked if the could unlock the Subs and Audio tracks like 88 Films has. I like the option of changing languages or turning the subs on and off during some scenes without having to go to the main menu and restart the movie.

Edited by inframan
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I just heard back. They said they would pass it along to their technical team, fingers crossed!

Edited by inframan
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Chemical Lemon

I’ve got the boxset so I won’t be needing these but I think these are a nice way to release these. Obviously people looking for individual movies still have a reason to complain but I think they picked a good way to package these. I suspect this was the plan from the beginning given how the discs were originally split up. Theme wise and disc wise these make sense, They can use the existing discs. I wonder with the mighty Peking man whether there is a plan to eventually package that with something from boxset 2 or if they just threw that in the first boxset because they got it as a package deal and wanted to pad out the first boxset (plus the date worked).  In any case I think these are nice sets

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Can't even lie I might grab the Lau Kar Leung box in case one of the movies from my big box gets scratched or damaged

Will get CC box at least but have to wait sale. Have bought these movies so many times in different formats and as too own Scope1 getting exactly same discs for sake of more user friendly box for full price is not tempting...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, MobFu1972 said:

Screenshot_20230913_152419_Chrome.jpg

Shouldn't this technically be 'The Basher Box Vol. 2' after the Pearl River released Basher Box? :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Shouldn't this technically be 'The Basher Box Vol. 2' after the Pearl River released Basher Box? :tongueout

Yeah. I thought "Isn't there a Basher Box set already?"

• Like 2

Arrow's also bringing over the Kinji Fukusaku Collection that's been available on the other side of the pond on Dec. 12. I have all the singles, so not really interested in this or the Shaw individual releases.

Ca3BFgT.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-14 Arrow Video Arrow Academy USA Discussion Thread - Page 1565 - Blu-ray Forum.png

9 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Can't wait to get my hands on Prodigal Son. Watching it now on the streaming site. 

I love the end fight!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Can't wait to get my hands on Prodigal Son. Watching it now on the streaming site. 

I got it last week. Very good. Listening to one of the commentaries now. 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I love the end fight!

One of the great Wing Chun fight scenes but the big blotchy cut/growth on Frankie Chan's forehead has always bothered me. I know its a me thing but something about it always makes me cringe.

• Love 1

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

One of the great Wing Chun fight scenes but the big blotchy cut/growth on Frankie Chan's forehead has always bothered me. I know its a me thing but something about it always makes me cringe.

Makeup/prosthetic effects were almost always more crude than those found in US and UK productions, especially in films made before the early '90s. But even for an expert creating a smooth-looking knot on a half-bald forehead is a challenge, with the extreme action, temperature, and the actor's sweat only compounding the difficulty of pulling off a realistic effect. Yet somehow, in this case it still gets the idea across effectively and is quite brutal. What an amazing movie!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Rewatching this scene I was surprised they went for such pronounced makeup for the "gore". Stuff like this can certainly happen, any MMA fans have seen this, and worse. 

(for an example, google images of what Joanna Jędrzejczyk's forehead looked like after the Zhang Weili fight. Almost like an alien it got so massive and bulbous.)

• Like 2

I personally like the growth coming out of his head. It makes the whole thing even cooler and a bit Anime-ish. The blood all over it just looks brutal.

• Like 2