The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

I won't get this but it does give me hope now that we'll get an individual release of The Magnificent Butcher.

• Buddha Bless You 2

18 hours ago, DiP said:

Arrow will finally release the uncut version of the movie most people want. No more in-zoomed rape-scenes, and blurred titties like in Eureka's release. :coveredlaugh

Did not know this was censored. Sold all my DVD versions 2 years ago.... must look if my HK VCD version i still have is not censored... Shit ... lol. Problems of a movie collectors live ...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

I won't get this but it does give me hope now that we'll get an individual release of The Magnificent Butcher.

Definitely needed. Not like Eureka did a bad job on their release. They just did a bad job on the subtitles. The subtitles on thr old HKL dvd is much better.

7 minutes ago, kuenfist said:

Did not know this was censored. Sold all my DVD versions 2 years ago.... must look if my HK VCD version i still have is not censored... Shit ... lol. Problems of a movie collectors live ...

Eureka's release wasn't exactly censored. But they zoomed in the rape scene to make it less graphic, and blurred a shot of pubic hair (I wrote wrong in my earlier post) being visible.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
17 minutes ago, DiP said:

Eureka's release wasn't exactly censored. But they zoomed in the rape scene to make it less graphic, and blurred a shot of pubic hair (I wrote wrong in my earlier post) being visible.

I absolutely hate the rape scene in it. It was just too much. Ugh. :crying

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DiP said:

Ok but i hate it when such things are done. That is why i still have the US DVD of Sister Streetfighter or the BluRay and DVD of Cannibal Holocaust (the UK 4k is stunning but 17 seconds cut, yes it is animal snuff) i want the movies as there was tend to be showen.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8DiagramAuntieFighter

Rape scene shouldn’t have been that graphic to begin with imo. Just have it play out like The Woman Avenger and I’ll be ok with it. Actors hate filming sex scenes to begin with so i can’t imagine poor girl enjoying filming that scene. :monk_smh:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

IMG_2283.jpeg

What a strange cover art. I don't really like it, these colors aren't good fort this movie... After the not good looking cover for Prodigal son, now this one... I'm going to cry !!

• Like 1

I was surprised that the Sammo Hung trilogy set from Eureka wasn't being ported over but James Flower has confirmed that The Magnificent Butcher is with another label (and it's been said that Criterion have the rights to Eastern Condors).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

I was surprised that the Sammo Hung trilogy set from Eureka wasn't being ported over but James Flower has confirmed that The Magnificent Butcher is with another label (and it's been said that Criterion have the rights to Eastern Condors).

Or Shout?

20 hours ago, kuenfist said:

Ok but i hate it when such things are done. That is why i still have the US DVD of Sister Streetfighter or the BluRay and DVD of Cannibal Holocaust (the UK 4k is stunning but 17 seconds cut, yes it is animal snuff) i want the movies as there was tend to be showen.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=222845

Only found out about that afterwards. I didn't notice it when I watched the film. But I'm not satisfied with it either and will get the US version. Even if the cover looks shit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lastninja said:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=222845

Only found out about that afterwards. I didn't notice it when I watched the film. But I'm not satisfied with it either and will get the US version. Even if the cover looks shit.

That cover is godawful. Just like Prodigal Son. Who is the artist? That Joe Kim again? :fubar

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

What a strange cover art. I don't really like it, these colors aren't good fort this movie... After the not good looking cover for Prodigal son, now this one... I'm going to cry !!

It looks shockingly 70's disco vibe. Quite possibly the worst cover I've seen Arrow release.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:06 PM, ShawAngela said:

In defense of the Iron Fisted Monk cover by Gary Mills, I feel the individual paintings of each character look fantastic, but I don't like the overall composition, and I feel the background colors do not mesh. I do like The Prodigal Son's artwork more, but just wishing it looked a bit more like Yuen Biao (the other characters look good), plus some more color contrast. As is, it borders on looking monochromatic.

• Like 3

PandaPawPaw
2 minutes ago, chen lung said:

The safest thing might be to just use real images?

boiling-point_cover.jpg

Yeah or you end up with shit like this. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PandaPawPaw
21 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

In defense of the Iron Fisted Monk cover by Gary Mills, I feel the individual paintings of each character look fantastic, but I don't like the overall composition, and I feel the background colors do not mesh. I do like The Prodigal Son's artwork more, but just wishing it looked a bit more like Yuen Biao (the other characters look good), plus some more color contrast. As is, it borders on looking monochromatic.

Yeah I agree that the layout sucks. The floating heads look odd too.

I love the artist who's been doing these covers.

in-the-line-of-duty-4

US88FB017.jpeg?fit=1582,2039&ssl=188FB515Gorgeous2DSlip_1024x.jpg?v=167717

88FB535ThePostmanFightsBack2DSlipcase_14

Best out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

in-the-line-of-duty-4

US88FB017.jpeg?fit=1582,2039&ssl=188FB515Gorgeous2DSlip_1024x.jpg?v=167717

88FB535ThePostmanFightsBack2DSlipcase_14

Best out there.

That’s Sean Longmore. He’s a legend, his work is incredible.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ChillyChong

I actually like IFM cover. It has nice vintage looks in it and have no problem with colours. Or perhaps they help to create retro feeling.

Longmore makes sometimes  covers far too action packed but faces are terrifically drawn.

Super Ninja
On 7/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, kuenfist said:

I agree with you. Not that I ever had any complaints about Eureka releases, but I wasn't glad to read this. At least we could have been notified about this in advance. Including a version that's left as it is would do the trick for me, no matter how you do it, having uncut playing when switching to different region for instance.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
14 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Longmore makes sometimes  covers far too action packed but faces are terrifically drawn.

Also the clothing looks terrific too. Getting all the different textures is excellent! He's a great all rounder.

One Armed Boxer
22 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

20 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

That’s Sean Longmore. He’s a legend, his work is incredible.

20 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

6 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Also the clothing looks terrific too. Getting all the different textures is excellent! He's a great all rounder.

To @chen lung's comment, I believe Sean Longmore actually does use 'real images'.  He's a digital artist based in the UK, and from my understanding (based on this interview with him) he starts off with stills or images taken from the movies themselves, and then digitally creates compositions with them and textures (such as making them look painted) to end up with the final piece. I'm a big fan of his work as well, but thought it's worth to clear up he's not actually drawing things like the faces and clothes from scratch.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

To @chen lung's comment, I believe Sean Longmore actually does use 'real images'.  He's a digital artist based in the UK, and from my understanding (based on this interview with him) he starts off with stills or images taken from the movies themselves, and then digitally creates compositions with them and textures (such as making them look painted) to end up with the final piece. I'm a big fan of his work as well, but thought it's worth to clear up he's not actually drawing things like the faces and clothes from scratch.

I suspected something similar. But I don't mind this approach at all as long as it leads to such fantastic results. :smile

• Like 2

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Sure, I wouldn’t dispute that Sean Longmore bases his illustrations on really images.

I just meant I’d rather have actual images instead of reproduced or drawn ones (as much as I appreciate the talent of those involved, I might add). For example, I think the vast majority of films coming from non-boutique studios do this (i.e. it’s fairly unlikely we’d get a drawing of ‘On the Waterfront’ or the latest blockbuster).

• Like 1