The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

On 3/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Arrow is also releasing the Japanese Game Trilogy. The Most Dangerous Game, The Killing Game, and The Execution Game. Has anybody seen this from here? I'd love a recommendation. They sound cool and the poster looks badass.

Buy without hesitation. Especially at this price for the set. Yusaku Matsuda is the epitome of cool. It's too bad Western audiences were only exposed to him in Ridley Scott's Black Rain when he as already terminally ill. This trilogy showcases him at his prime.

Screenshot_2023-03-31 PRE-ORDER - The Game Trilogy (Limited Edition).jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

• Like 7

Darth Kermit
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Ridley Scott's Black Rain

I love Black Rain (1989). The Ridley one, I haven't seen the Imamura one. Anywho, sounds great, preordered. Gonna have to revisit Black Rain when I watch these. First time I watched Black Rain I double featured it with The Yakuza. Little Takakura double. Good pictures.

• Like 5

Just so everyone is aware:

Hamilton books has a lot of older Arrow Releases for very good deals right now. Jump on em before they are gone. Great deal..... Not sure if they come with the slip covers.

Screenshot_20230405-185056~2.png

• Like 3

Irongod2112
On 3/30/2023 at 9:01 AM, DiP said:

I see that Arrow will include the Mandarin mono track. That's an upper hand for those preferring their Hong Kong movies in both dialects. Otherwise, this will be identical to Eureka's release. Same restoration, same audio tracks, same set of subtitles, same extras.

Arrow's release of Warriors Two will not be identical to Eureka's. Although sometimes that is the case. :)

I gave them a slightly upgraded Cantonese track and the subtitles will be using a different translation than Eureka's. No idea if they will be better or worse.

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Omni Dragon

I received my copy of Arrow's The Street Fighter Trilogy:

DSC_8817.thumb.JPG.2e6f7082c6f95e62ef30315570fa2eae.JPG

DSC_8818.thumb.JPG.31116f1f76e725a3455cb2f8183273bf.JPG

DSC_8819.thumb.JPG.d03d9108aed827b8021edaf8708e1c50.JPG

DSC_8824.thumb.JPG.7feb98bef3a8dbdc645f0592e0fff39d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Master with OK Fingers

Anyone from the UK ordered from Arrow US before? I order the first mission and should have received the package over 10days ago. Just wondering if its normal for them?

Thanks

On 5/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

Anyone from the UK ordered from Arrow US before? I order the first mission and should have received the package over 10days ago. Just wondering if its normal for them?

Thanks

i ordered their shop exclusive version of 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, took around 2 weeks to arrive.

• Like 2

Yggdrasil
On 5/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

Thanks

I have, but didn't take much notice to the length of time it took. I want The Last Starfighter 4K and it's still hasn't released over here which US is going to get it released twice.

• Like 1

14837767-3765055277001115.jpg

• New 2k restoration from the original negatives by Fortune Star
  • High Definition (1080p) Bluray transfers of the 120-min Original Theatrical Cut and the 82-min 1980 Re-release Cut
  • Original Mandarin and English lossless mono audio for the Theatrical Cut, plus newly uncovered alternate Mandarin and Cantonese mono audio
  • Original Cantonese and English lossless mono audio for the Re-Release Cut
  • Newly translated optional English subtitles
  • New feature commentary on the Theatrical Cut by martial arts cinema experts Frank Djeng & Michael Worth, co-producers of Enter the Clones of Bruce Lee
  • New feature commentary on the Re-Release Cut by action cinema expert Brandon Bentley
  • New Fist, Part Two Fist, a new video essay by Bentley comparing New Fist of Fury to the rival sequel made simultaneously, Fist of Fury Part Ii
  • Trailer gallery, including a Chen Zhen trailer reel of sequels and reboots
  • Image gallery
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Jonathan Clements and an archival retrospective article by Brian Bankston
  • Like 11

starschwar
On 5/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, nahnahnah said:

14837767-3765055277001115.jpg

• New 2k restoration from the original negatives by Fortune Star
  • High Definition (1080p) Bluray transfers of the 120-min Original Theatrical Cut and the 82-min 1980 Re-release Cut
  • Original Mandarin and English lossless mono audio for the Theatrical Cut, plus newly uncovered alternate Mandarin and Cantonese mono audio
  • Original Cantonese and English lossless mono audio for the Re-Release Cut
  • Newly translated optional English subtitles
  • New feature commentary on the Theatrical Cut by martial arts cinema experts Frank Djeng & Michael Worth, co-producers of Enter the Clones of Bruce Lee
  • New feature commentary on the Re-Release Cut by action cinema expert Brandon Bentley
  • New Fist, Part Two Fist, a new video essay by Bentley comparing New Fist of Fury to the rival sequel made simultaneously, Fist of Fury Part Ii
  • Trailer gallery, including a Chen Zhen trailer reel of sequels and reboots
  • Image gallery
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Jonathan Clements and an archival retrospective article by Brian Bankston

Can anyone give any insight into what's different on the new alternate audio tracks?  I rather like the Mandingo music in the existing versions, but I'm really curious as to what the alternatives are.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

This has to be the best time ever for Martial Arts films/HK movies!

This is the golden age for sure.  We still have a way to go, before all the damage of recut dubs and out of print rights issues get resolved.  But for the ones that have been given the 88/Arrow/Eureka treatment - it's really never been a better time to be a fan of this stuff.

• Like 5

I'll be picking this up either way, but I'm really curious what the transfer on this is like. It'd be fantastic if it was a brand new one, like what 88 is doing with some of the earlier Jackie Chan films they released, but ever since Warner Archive's Drunken Master II, I don't take that sort of thing for granted with films that've had relatively recent releases in other territories, even when promo copy mentions new transfers.

CastleOfDeath

Yes I think so too. Same as before, period. Of course, there will be a thousand posts about the 0.2% difference the new encoding makes, probably LOL.

I think that's the most realistic possibility -- the existing FS master is about on par with other recent 2Ks like Millionaires' Express or those Angela Mao movies; it's not an exceptionally bad one like Battle Creek Brawl. Considering the regard in which New Fist is generally held, I'd be surprised if Fortune Star had gone and remastered it again.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:09 PM, DiP said:

I'm sure this release will have the same set of subtitles as 88's. That being said, I wonder if they have improved the subtitle timing though. 88's release have each subline showing up and ending a bit too early, which bugs me. This problem is also on their release of Crime Story.

I finally received a copy of the Arrow release. And I will gladly confirm that Arrow that a great job with their release overall.

In terms of subtitles, in comparison to 88's release, I think I prefer Arrow's. It's simple and perfectly timed with the dialogue. Most of the sublines on 88's release tend to be a bit too long which enables the risk of missing out while reading them, and the overall timing is a bit of a mixed bag. However, one thing 88's release has the upper hand in is the audio department. For the extended cut 88 includes the HK soundtrack with AND without music for the parking lot fight, while Arrow only has the HK soundtrack without music for the parking lot fight. For the HK cut, Arrow includes an uncompressed Mandarin mono track which 88's release doesn't have. The extras for both releases seem identical although I'm not too sure.

If you are a big fan of this movie (like me), get both releases.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DiP said:

I finally received a copy of the Arrow release. And I will gladly confirm that Arrow that a great job with their release overall.

In terms of subtitles, in comparison to 88's release, I think I prefer Arrow's. It's simple and perfectly timed with the dialogue. Most of the sublines on 88's release tend to be a bit too long which enables the risk of missing out while reading them, and the overall timing is a bit of a mixed bag. However, one thing 88's release has the upper hand in is the audio department. For the extended cut 88 includes the HK soundtrack with AND without music for the parking lot fight, while Arrow only has the HK soundtrack without music for the parking lot fight. For the HK cut, Arrow includes an uncompressed Mandarin mono track which 88's release doesn't have. The extras for both releases seem identical although I'm not too sure.

If you are a big fan of this movie (like me), get both releases.

Does anyone can remind me of what title you are tlaking about ? There are so many posts and I don't have much time to look at all of them at this moment, thanks.

• Like 1

52270_5_the_prodigal_son_exploded_packsh

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

● 2K restorations from the original elements by Fortune Star of both the original HK “Theatrical Release Presentation” and the “Home Release Presentation”
● High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
● Original lossless Cantonese, Mandarin, and English mono options
● Optional English subtitles
● Commentary by martial arts cinema expert Frank Djeng & actor Bobby Samuels
● Commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
● Wing Chun 101, an interview with Wing Chun sifu Alex Richter
● Life Imitating Art, archival featurette featuring interviews with Wing Chun instructor and producer Guy Lai talking about the art, illustrated via demonstrations by Sifu Austin Goh and Jude Poyer
● The Heroic Trio, archival featurette featuring interviews with director Sammo Hung and stars Yuen Biao and Frankie Chan looking back on the making of the film
● Original theatrical trailers
● Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Joe Kim
● Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Joe Kim
● Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Peter Glagowski

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

9 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

● 2K restorations from the original elements by Fortune Star of both the original HK “Theatrical Release Presentation” and the “Home Release Presentation”
● Life Imitating Art, archival featurette featuring interviews with Wing Chun instructor and producer Guy Lai talking about the art, illustrated via demonstrations by Sifu Austin Goh and Jude Poyer
● The Heroic Trio, archival featurette featuring interviews with director Sammo Hung and stars Yuen Biao and Frankie Chan looking back on the making of the film
● Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Joe Kim
● Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Joe Kim

Was this the preqel to Warriors Two? The name of the film sounds familiar and I can't place the dvd cover art from HKL

Edit - oh of course... silly me. It was re-released by Eureka.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

This was what I was waiting for! Hopefully, Dreadnaught is next in line.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 3

59 minutes ago, Grand Wazoo said:

Packaging aside, any difference between this and the Eureka disc?

Yes, I'm curious too. And, while I loved better the packaging for Angela's , Wang Yu's, the Shaws individual releases, Dreadnaught, Millionaires express and Warriors Two releases, this one isn't very attractive for me...