The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Nice new extras, but with the Eureka, it's not worth upgrading to this and Criterion version of Last Hurrah. Happy for people who aren't region free and of course, always happy to see a John Woo release. Now we just need one that hasn't been released yet lol.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'd rather have a good fixed release than whatever Eurkea! Thought was fine. Same thing happened with one of the Once Upon A Time In China movies from them as well if I remember correctly. I always have had a soft spot for Hand of Death so I pre-ordered it. The story isn't the greatest but the action more than makes up for it.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ironfistedmonk

Saw they were releasing Last Starfighter and got excited, but then noticed it's US/Canada only, would prefer a UK release for something like that.  Already got Hand of Death on VHS, DVD and Blu Ray, it's getting a bit much with how many companies are releasing the same films, need more variety

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

There was an isue with night time filters on the Eureka release, apparently that's been corrected on the fothcoming Arrow.

Perfect. I had never seen HoD before and I was instinctively confused af about that scene, I was like why the hell is this guy on about, sneaking around like a fool in broad daylight lol. Will definitely be grabbing a copy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, saltysam said:

There was an isue with night time filters on the Eureka release, apparently that's been corrected on the fothcoming Arrow.

Although I'm not directly involved with the Arrow releases. They did get in contact with me about some of thier upcoming titles and I made sure they knew they had to fix this mistake that slipped through on the Eureka release. :)

• Like 13

I ordered a copy of The Millionares' Express yesterday. Looking forward to compare it to Eureka's release, which I stored on my PC.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DiP said:

I ordered a copy of The Millionares' Express yesterday. Looking forward to compare it to Eureka's release, which I stored on my PC.

I ordered it too, from Arrow US, purely because I preferred the front cover.

• Like 2

I got mine from a reliable seller at Ebay. I don't live in the US so whenever I order US blurays, I'll visit Ebay or Amazon.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's ok to post here or if I'm late to the discussion I'm about to start, but I think if you're huge fan of the Jet Li Shaolin Temple trilogy, it's really worth checking out Tony Rayns' discussion on the film. It's really great hearing how the Shaw Brothers secretly funded the film (it wasn't just Pops going to Mainland and directing it) while knowing the studio was going downhill. It was also interesting hearing how they knew things were going south and they didn't mind ditching the Taiwan market for one (and potentially two) last movie. I think it would have been really cool to see "The Burning of the Shaolin Temple" but it's too bad that film did not happen. 

Overall, I really enjoy hearing this gentleman's discussion on these films- knowing he was there behind the scenes 

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Not sure if it's ok to post here or if I'm late to the discussion I'm about to start, but I think if you're huge fan of the Jet Li Shaolin Temple trilogy, it's really worth checking out Tony Rayns' discussion on the film. It's really great hearing how the Shaw Brothers secretly funded the film (it wasn't just Pops going to Mainland and directing it) while knowing the studio was going downhill. It was also interesting hearing how they knew things were going south and they didn't mind ditching the Taiwan market for one (and potentially two) last movie. I think it would have been really cool to see "The Burning of the Shaolin Temple" but it's too bad that film did not happen. 

Overall, I really enjoy hearing this gentleman's discussion on these films- knowing he was there behind the scenes 

Totally agree with you. Enjoyed Tony Rayns' very much on the King Hu releases from Eureka.

Where did you see this? Is this on disc 8 on Shaw Scope Vol. 2 from Arrow?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, lastninja said:

Totally agree with you. Enjoyed Tony Rayns' very much on the King Hu releases from Eureka.

Where did you see this? Is this on disc 8 on Shaw Scope Vol. 2 from Arrow?

Yes on there, if it's the wrong disc number (I can't confirm rn since I'm on lunch break), it's on the special features of Martial Arts of Shaolin. It's a hella great commentary

• Like 3

Darth Kermit

Arrow is also releasing the Japanese Game Trilogy. The Most Dangerous Game, The Killing Game, and The Execution Game. Has anybody seen this from here? I'd love a recommendation. They sound cool and the poster looks badass.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Arrow is also releasing the Japanese Game Trilogy. The Most Dangerous Game, The Killing Game, and The Execution Game. Has anybody seen this from here? I'd love a recommendation. They sound cool and the poster looks badass.

I've only seen the first movie and I can easily recommend that. It's a superb showcase of Yusaku Matsuda's effortless charm, stylishly shot, and all set to jazzin tunes by Yuji Onho (best known for his work on Lupin III). A movie that can be described with just one word: cool. This is definitely the highlight of the US announcements for me, as I have yet to see the other 2 films in this trilogy and am also a massive fan of Morukawa and Matsuda's other collabs (The Beast to Die and Resurrection of the Golden Wolf).

• Like 2

Darth Kermit
4 hours ago, panzer said:

I've only seen the first movie and I can easily recommend that. It's a superb showcase of Yusaku Matsuda's effortless charm, stylishly shot, and all set to jazzin tunes by Yuji Onho (best known for his work on Lupin III). A movie that can be described with just one word: cool. This is definitely the highlight of the US announcements for me, as I have yet to see the other 2 films in this trilogy and am also a massive fan of Morukawa and Matsuda's other collabs (The Beast to Die and Resurrection of the Golden Wolf).

Ooh. Sounds awesome! I like cool stuff. I believe that The Lighthouse is getting an announcement too, though I don't think it leaked yet, so we sgould see an official announcement with the rest. But this definitely seems like a highlight, I'll probably order it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

51753_1_warriors_two_2d_bd_ocard_2d.jpg

This is the announcement that I have been patiently waiting for..... This may be the release of year for me! Thank goodness this is getting a stand alone release! The slip box and special features excite me 🤓! Hopefully Prodigal Son is not far behind! This film has always had a special meaning to me..... It was one of the first Sammo films I first saw other than The Victim! All Praise to Arrow for Unleashing this Incredible release for us Fans🥋👍🐲👊

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

F1B8F7A7-DFA6-40DC-9E90-05AD3E6A3ED3.jpeg

2BE7C537-8E48-4106-8C06-B8FDAB6F6FE2.jpeg

I see that Arrow will include the Mandarin mono track. That's an upper hand for those preferring their Hong Kong movies in both dialects. Otherwise, this will be identical to Eureka's release. Same restoration, same audio tracks, same set of subtitles, same extras.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Irongod2112
2 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

@Irongod2112 does another label have the rights to The Prodigal Son? I would have assumed that Arrow would have done a dual-release just like how Eureka did with their release.

I'm not directly involved with the Arrow releases so can't say for sure  but I wouldn't be surprised to see Prodigal Son coming down the road from them. ;)

I was slightly involved with Warriors Two for I sent them a slightly upgraded original Cantonese track.

I haven't heard the final track yet so I can't say if it's a major upgrade from the Eureka release or not to be honest but worth mentioning. :)

• Like 5

On 1/25/2023 at 10:26 PM, nahnahnah said:

51504_2_heart_of_dragon_bd_ocard_3d.png

- 2K restoration from the original negative by Fortune Star
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of the 91-minute Hong Kong Theatrical Cut and the 99-minute Extended Japanese Cut via seamless branching
- Original lossless Cantonese and English mono audio on both cuts, plus Mandarin on the Theatrical Cut and Cantonese with alternate score on the Extended Cut
- Optional English subtitles for both cuts
- Brand new commentary by Frank Djeng & FJ DeSanto on the Extended Cut
- The Making of The First Mission and The First Mission: Pre-Release Event, two extended featurettes made to promote the Japanese release by Shochiku
- Archive interview with star Jackie Chan
- Archive interview with star Rocky Lai
- Two archive interviews with director/star Sammo Hung
- Archive interview with cinematographer Arthur Wong
- Alternate English credits as The First Mission
- Trailer gallery, including the ‘music video’ trailer by Su Rui
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sam Gilbey

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Dylan Cheung and David West

I'm sure this release will have the same set of subtitles as 88's. That being said, I wonder if they have improved the subtitle timing though. 88's release have each subline showing up and ending a bit too early, which bugs me. This problem is also on their release of Crime Story.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Darth Kermit
1 hour ago, DiP said:

Crime Story

Speaking of Crimw Story, I really hope we see Organized Crime & Triad Bureau from someone soon. My favorite Kirk Wong film so far (I have only seen this and Crime Story). I don't think it's a Cinema City/GP title, so I don't think the rights are in hell, but idk for sure. Just hoping.

• Like 2