The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

One of monk Hin Hung's disciples.

688854454_IronMonkey1993-15-b.jpg.d0ba715c9035cd0b1a2726d9725caa0a.jpg

Wow ! I didn't even know that he played in this movie, and I wouldn't have recognized him if you hadn't shown this picture !

5 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

It's been said before, but how exciting would it be for so much of this to be new again for all of us old timers? :wink:

i would say that all of us still have to discover new things about these movies and actors, and I'm glad to discover such things as the one above ! Yes, all we have to do is to share and avoid being sarcastic to each other, or at least if joking about someone, saying that it's a joke...

• Like 5

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I'm not new exploring this genre. I'm new to this board though and getting back into kung fu after a 20 year gap. I never could be bothered with SB's before as all the vhs/dvd releaes were dubbed. So i just stuck to HKL and Sammo films.

But please, I'm don't mind being a bit of a melon. Feel free to piss take to hearts content.

Ah, I see. I guess I was remembering you saying you're new to the Shaw Brothers stuff.

Thanks for taking the comments with a grain of salt and a good attitude.

• Like 4

BornToDefense

As someone who got into SBs stuff right on the cusp of the IVL/Deltamac DVD release campaign, I think it's easy to take for granted how (relatively) good we have it now as far as availability and info (though I know a lot of OG fans were already way ahead of the curve on that).

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 1/5/2023 at 4:19 AM, ShawAngela said:

Wow ! I didn't even know that he played in this movie, and I wouldn't have recognized him if you hadn't shown this picture !

You can also check him out in a lovely blonde wig doubling for Cynthia Rothrock in 'Righting Wrongs' here, in the video action essay that Eric Jacobus did for the finale - 

• Like 4

So has anyone gone through the alternate VHS version included with My Young Auntie?  What makes it so special to be included as a full-length extra, rather than just a collection of deleted scenes or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starschwar said:

So has anyone gone through the alternate VHS version included with My Young Auntie?  What makes it so special to be included as a full-length extra, rather than just a collection of deleted scenes or something?

The Celestial Pictures transfers are frame-cut, meaning that minor frames at the end of a shot were literally cut out of the film during the restoration. Some films weren't affected as much while others got hit pretty hard (Boxer from Shantung for example was cut down by 5 minutes due to these https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=75096)

The VHS transfer presents My Young Auntie without these frame cuts. I haven't seen it yet though, and to check which shots were cut would probably require comparing the two versions side by side.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, panzer said:

The Celestial Pictures transfers are frame-cut, meaning that minor frames at the end of a shot were literally cut out of the film during the restoration. Some films weren't affected as much while others got hit pretty hard (Boxer from Shantung for example was cut down by 5 minutes due to these https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=75096)

The VHS transfer presents My Young Auntie without these frame cuts. I haven't seen it yet though, and to check which shots were cut would probably require comparing the two versions side by side.

Thank you.  It's a shame they weren't able (or allowed?) to splice the missing material back in. 

• Like 1

I think it was less a matter of not being allowed to create a new master for My Young Auntie, and more of a budget issue.  I recall some one (James Flower, maybe)  mention that due to the shorter than usual license, they couldn't afford to create new masters for every title. (Speculation here, but I think the short license is a big reason why these set are not going going to get broken up into individual releases and/or smaller sets.)

• Like 4

On 12/27/2022 at 11:49 PM, Asmo said:

It's a shame in a way that it took them that long to make something in that vein. It definitely could have been the start of something new, and might have even taken Wong Jing down different avenues as a filmmaker. I agree as well, a few extra minutes would have been great!

Yeah, I would have liked more time to get to know the whole team.  They are likable characters and deserved more development.  Some stuff seems to have been cut for time, too - what happened to the... improvised gas masks they discussed, for example? 

All the same - such a hidden gem!  So un-Shaw like in virtually every aspect.  I know that by the time it came out, they were struggling to modernize, break out of formula, and keep up with Golden Harvest.  But in many ways, this movie seems to be very much ahead of its time.  I can see some influence on the likes of Police Story and A Better Tomorrow - and almost certainly Eastern Condors (which I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't actually seen yet).

I adore a classic Shaw period piece as much as anybody, but if they had been willing to make more movies like this - I dare say that the entire HK action genre could have progressed very differently in the subsequent decades.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, dwk said:

I think it was less a matter of not being allowed to create a new master for My Young Auntie, and more of a budget issue.  I recall some one (James Flower, maybe)  mention that due to the shorter than usual license, they couldn't afford to create new masters for every title. (Speculation here, but I think the short license is a big reason why these set are not going going to get broken up into individual releases and/or smaller sets.)

Does that mean that there are still masters that you can pull the film from without the framecuts? I had always believed that the framecuts made were lost forever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lastninja said:

Does that mean that there are still masters that you can pull the film from without the framecuts? I had always believed that the framecuts made were lost forever.

I doubt if they retained the pre-frame cut scans, but, unless they cut them, the original pre-print elements (if they survive) should retain the missing frames.  So it is a matter of re-scanning the original elements or, if they actually cut the negatives, finding alternate elements and scanning the missing footage and inserting it in the correct spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

In the female section of clothing....

I think thats just by pure coincidence where they stood. Fella just looks real happy to have gotten this beautiful boxset

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I think thats just by pure coincidence where they stood. Fella just looks real happy to have gotten this beautiful boxset

Aye, pretty stoked. 

I'd be pretty happy to have got it too. (If I was famous....)

• Like 2

Another collection ordered today: The Angela Mao boxset of Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind (never seen it before).

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DiP said:

Another collection ordered today: The Angela Map boxset of Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind (never seen it before).

You won't be disappointed ! 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 1/15/2023 at 6:04 PM, Yihetuan said:

Here's Chin Siu Ho with his copy.  I bet he can still do backflips at 60!

325904367_1671976619905300_2604076458110536550_n.jpg

He can put it with his picture in the attic, if you see what I mean... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BornToDefense said:

Whoever is sending these out to the stars is doing the lord's work

I think it's Fred Ambroisine 

Edited by Kevin Chan
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Chan said:

I think it's Fred Ambroisine 

I think so too. I know that he is is contact with Shaw Yin Yin and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's him. Now that I say it, it seems to me that he posted on facebook that it's Shaw Yin Yin who passed on the boxsets to Chin Siu Ho and Xiao Hou, unless I'm mistaken : I read so many posts there that I may be mistaken...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

He can put it with his picture in the attic, if you see what I mean... ;)

It's known that he was a deadbeat dad (which in my eyes is a far worse character flaw) in addition to the errrr....well, like you said the scandal regarding the pics. No one said these were "good guys" or anyone to idolize or look up to but they sure brought us a lot of joy through their antics onscreen.

8 hours ago, BornToDefense said:

Whoever is sending these out to the stars is doing the lord's work

Yes, it's Fred Ambroisine. The pics all have his watermark on them.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It's known that he was a deadbeat dad (which in my eyes is a far worse character flaw) in addition to the errrr....well, like you said the scandal regarding the pics.

Oh I had no idea. I was just making a reference to him still being good looking via The Picture of Dorian Gray!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1