The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

• Administrator
17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Ok... I just copied both descriptions on a document and here is what I found. 

Not mentioned on the Eureka description :

·             Deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release

·             Optional English subtitles for the HK Theatrical Cut and English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on the Export Cut

·             Two choices of English dubbed audio for the HK Theatrical Cut: the original export dub mono and the newer 5.1 dub created for international DVD presentations

Mandarin mono audio for the HK Theatrical Cut,

I think that's all. I thought that only Arrow was 1080p, but I just saw that ti's also mentioned for Eureka.

12 hours ago, panzer said:

The deleted scene is also in the Eureka, but the online site was just never updated. It shows up in the back of the case.

Thanks @ShawAngela and @panzer.

4 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Shawscope Vol 2 is now $107 on Amazon

That's an amazing price for this set. :bigsmile:

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

BornToDefense

Have been trying to cut down on movie spending but the Shawscope boxes have become a must and Vol 2 arrived in the mail. Gorgeous set, congrats and thanks to everyone here who contributed, loved the Poison Clan video essay from Teako.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

BornToDefense

Broke down and ordered the Arrow releases of Come Drink With Me and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter based on the quality of the Shawscope stuff. Somehow the more I keep up with these threads the more money I lose...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

17 minutes ago, BornToDefense said:

Broke down and ordered the Arrow releases of Come Drink With Me and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter based on the quality of the Shawscope stuff. Somehow the more I keep up with these threads the more money I lose...

Welcome to the club !

• Like 2

Got my Shawscope Vol 2 the other day, and what more can I say. I'm absolutely blown away by how amazing it is. Arrow better not stop at just 2 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. I can't stop watching Mercenaries from Hong Kong over and over

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I can't stop watching Mercenaries from Hong Kong over and over

Watched that through for the first time last night (tried to watch it on Monday but I was so tired from the day I'd had). It's a blast! No pun intended.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Asmo said:

Watched that through for the first time last night (tried to watch it on Monday but I was so tired from the day I'd had). It's a blast! No pun intended.

Literally! I watched it and honestly couldn't help but think if they went down this route until the late 90s, they would be toe to toe in the HK market against Golden Harvest. I really liked the locations in here and gosh darn- the story was hella amazing. I just wish it ran for another 30 minutes and I'd have been even more satisfied

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

Literally! I watched it and honestly couldn't help but think if they went down this route until the late 90s, they would be toe to toe in the HK market against Golden Harvest. I really liked the locations in here and gosh darn- the story was hella amazing. I just wish it ran for another 30 minutes and I'd have been even more satisfied

It's a shame in a way that it took them that long to make something in that vein. It definitely could have been the start of something new, and might have even taken Wong Jing down different avenues as a filmmaker. I agree as well, a few extra minutes would have been great!

• Like 4

On 12/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, Chemical Lemon said:

I’m relieved by this. I don’t mind double dipping, and for the most part I frequently will when something is released in the US that I already purchased overseas because I want them to be releasing these movies here. But there’s just too much coming out right now too fast. So when Arrow basically releases a eureka disc over here, it’s just like an easy pass. And what seemed like a pretty easy to co-exist eco system when it was just 88 and Eureka has really exploded since arrow got on board in both the UK and US and 88 started releasing in the US. In terms of movies being released in the US, I’m honestly more excited about the stuff being released by smaller labels that are hitting the seedy side of HK movies. It’s slightly less my taste but at least it’s different than what’s being released by the big 3 in both countries simultaneously. 

I was wondering too what what initiated this renewed interest in kung fu movies? For years we had little or nothing on the blu ray market and suddenly boom, bunch of new releases everywhere and I don't see a new market or am I wrong?

Edited by Sun Chung
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sun Chung said:

I was wondering too what what initiated this renewed interest in kung fu movies? For years we had little or nothing on the blu ray market and suddenly boom, bunch of new releases everywhere and I don't see a new market or am I wrong?

I think its to do with how successful the first batches of martial arts films on blu was. The hkl/cine asia market reduced greatly when they stopped releasing classics and more concentrated on newer films which i feel has less of an audience but when the shaws did well from 88 films and then eureka started with drunken master which lead to 88 broadening to some of the jackie films it kinda skyrocketed a bit from there. To be fair i also think germany always had a good market for martial arts, better than the uk i would say.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

19 hours ago, Sun Chung said:

I think a large part, in the US at least, is that the rights finally started to revert to the HK owners, so titles that were locked up because of existing Miramax and/or Weinstein Company deals became available to license.  Another part is the HK company's are doing better transfers, so the titles are more appealing to licensees.

Edited by dwk
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 3:37 AM, JCLegend86 said:

Thank god theres no new extras so Im more than happy with Eurekas

(Mod's Note: This is in regards to Arrow's upcoming release of MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS) Do you mean that there are also four versions of the movie on the Eureka one ? I didn't see that mentioned on the description and I don't remember to have senn it in the menu either.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 1:12 AM, Yihetuan said:

Hsiao Ho posing with Shawscope Vol 2 box set.

320530153_821814702436235_4369981027977111262_n.jpg

No idea who the bloke is but I just liked the post instead. Nice to see he appreciates Arrows release. 

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
On 12/31/2022 at 11:54 PM, Yggdrasil said:

No idea who the bloke is but I just liked the post instead. Nice to see he appreciates Arrows release. 

Oh for crying out loud...

4f4a291d7077a36a81c2901f155d54b1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Oh for crying out loud...

4f4a291d7077a36a81c2901f155d54b1.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don’t know every Chinese actor. There's only 4 well known ones that I know of but they never did anything for SB.

3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I'm sorry, but I don’t know every Chinese actor. There's only 4 well known ones that I know of but they never did anything for SB.

Hsiao Hou is the hero of the movie mad monkey kung fu with Liu Chia Liang, and he also plays in My young Auntie with Kara Hui, and in The lady is the boss as well.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

A whole four, huh.

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
49 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Who does he play in Iron Monkey?

One of monk Hin Hung's disciples.

688854454_IronMonkey1993-15-b.jpg.d0ba715c9035cd0b1a2726d9725caa0a.jpg

7 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I don’t know every Chinese actor. There's only 4 well known ones that I know of but they never did anything for SB.

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donnie Yen?

• Like 3

• Administrator

Hey people, @Yggdrasil is relatively new to exploring the genre and has said so. So why give him grief and sarcasm instead of just sharing our knowledge and love? Let's be nice.

It's been said before, but how exciting would it be for so much of this to be new again for all of us old timers? :wink:

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey people, @Yggdrasil is relatively new to exploring the genre and has said so. So why give him grief and sarcasm instead of just sharing our knowledge and love? Let's be nice.

It's been said before, but how exciting would it be for so much of this to be new again for all of us old timers? :wink:

I'm not new exploring this genre. I'm new to this board though and getting back into kung fu after a 20 year gap. I never could be bothered with SB's before as all the vhs/dvd releaes were dubbed. So i just stuck to HKL and Sammo films.

But please, I'm don't mind being a bit of a melon. Feel free to piss take to hearts content.

• Like 8