The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

On 12/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, Red Lion said:

Both Hong Kong and italian movie industries were the same with no sync sound and being dubbed afterwards. Part of the reasons as stated was that yes hong kong and italy were very noisy places and also multiple languages/dialects being used by cast and crew however i think the bigger part was that they were using very outdated equipment and dont think they had suitable sound recording equipment for live sound. It meant they could churn films out very quickly with no attention paid to an actor fluffing lines and multiple retakes. Would hate to have had less of these movies just so the actors could deliver thier lines properly. Lol

I don't get how the Chinese audiences wasn't pissed off with dubbing because a general rule for dubbed movies is crap acting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Chan said:

Before Police Story 3 (1992), I know that Black Cat (1991) was filmed half with sync sound and one scene in Skinny Tiger and Fatty Dragon (1990) was filmed in sync sound. And boy, those scenes were noisy. It took a long time until Hong Kong movies were watchable in sync sound, IMO. They had bad microphones up until the early 2000s, or they had no idea on how to position and where to point them during filming.

I've got Skinny tiger/fatty dragon on Chinese DVD. I'll have to watch it to see what you mean about the noise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I don't get how the Chinese audiences wasn't pissed off with dubbing because a general rule for dubbed movies is crap acting.

I get your point but you have to remember the chinese film going audience were less demanding from thier films. They werent like us in terms of knowing film making techniques etc and you also have to remember that was the only thing they knew as all films were like that from the introduction of sound films. It just seems wierd to us as we were raised on hollywood big production values and good sound recording.

• Like 4

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

Before Police Story 3 (1992), I know that Black Cat (1991) was filmed half with sync sound and one scene in Skinny Tiger and Fatty Dragon (1990) was filmed in sync sound. And boy, those scenes were noisy. It took a long time until Hong Kong movies were watchable in sync sound, IMO. They had bad microphones up until the early 2000s, or they had no idea on how to position and where to point them during filming.

Like in any industry, once they started doing something new to them there was a learning curve. Recording sound well is an art in and of itself.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Like in any industry, once they started doing something new to them there was a learning curve. Recording sound well is an art in and of itself.

Absolutely!

• Like 1

Arrow  is releasing Knockabout in Region A.

4klTc8s.jpg

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• 2K restorations from the original elements by Fortune Star of both the original HK Theatrical Cut and the shorter Export Cut
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
• Original lossless Cantonese and Mandarin mono audio for the HK Theatrical Cut, plus lossless English mono for both cuts
• Two choices of English dubbed audio for the HK Theatrical Cut: the original export dub mono and the newer 5.1 dub created for international DVD presentations
• Optional English subtitles for the HK Theatrical Cut and English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on the Export Cut
• Commentary on the HK Theatrical Cut by martial arts cinema experts Frank Djeng & Michael Worth
• Commentary on the Export Cut by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
• Archival interview with Sammo Hung
• Archival interview with Bryan “Beardy” Leung Kar-Yan
• Archival interview with Grandmaster Chan Sau Chang (aka The Monkey King), a master of Monkey Style kung fu
• Deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release
• Original theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Simon Abrams and original press materials

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

48 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

4klTc8s.jpg

• 2K restorations from the original elements by Fortune Star of both the original HK Theatrical Cut and the shorter Export Cut
• Original lossless Cantonese and Mandarin mono audio for the HK Theatrical Cut, plus lossless English mono for both cuts
• Two choices of English dubbed audio for the HK Theatrical Cut: the original export dub mono and the newer 5.1 dub created for international DVD presentations
• Optional English subtitles for the HK Theatrical Cut and English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on the Export Cut
• Commentary on the HK Theatrical Cut by martial arts cinema experts Frank Djeng & Michael Worth
• Commentary on the Export Cut by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
• Archival interview with Grandmaster Chan Sau Chang (aka The Monkey King), a master of Monkey Style kung fu
• Deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Simon Abrams and original press materials

It's a wicked film. You lot are going to well spoilt!

• Like 2

• Administrator
3 hours ago, bickle14 said:

4klTc8s.jpg

• 2K restorations from the original elements by Fortune Star of both the original HK Theatrical Cut and the shorter Export...

Looks like this features all the same special features and audio options as Eureka's Region 2 release, with the only difference being the booklets and slipcover artwork. I'm really happy that this is getting a US release for all the fans (and also glad I don't need to double-dip on this title. Though... I do like that new artwork... :thinking :tongue: But, no, dammit. No!).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bickle14 said:

4klTc8s.jpg

Yey nice artwork. Would look nice on the presentation shelf...

🫣🫣🫣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AslanBey said:

Yey nice artwork. Would look nice on the presentation shelf...

🫣🫣🫣

Yes, A fine cover, but already have the Eureka version. Shame that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Yes, A fine cover, but already have the Eureka version. Shame that. 

Same for me... and region A is not possible for me at the moment

Chemical Lemon

I’m relieved by this. I don’t mind double dipping, and for the most part I frequently will when something is released in the US that I already purchased overseas because I want them to be releasing these movies here. But there’s just too much coming out right now too fast. So when Arrow basically releases a eureka disc over here, it’s just like an easy pass. And what seemed like a pretty easy to co-exist eco system when it was just 88 and Eureka has really exploded since arrow got on board in both the UK and US and 88 started releasing in the US. In terms of movies being released in the US, I’m honestly more excited about the stuff being released by smaller labels that are hitting the seedy side of HK movies. It’s slightly less my taste but at least it’s different than what’s being released by the big 3 in both countries simultaneously. 

Edited by Chemical Lemon
Clarification
  • Like 3

On 12/9/2022 at 2:13 PM, Red Lion said:

Both Hong Kong and italian movie industries were the same with no sync sound and being dubbed afterwards. Part of the reasons as stated was that yes hong kong and italy were very noisy places and also multiple languages/dialects being used by cast and crew however i think the bigger part was that they were using very outdated equipment and dont think they had suitable sound recording equipment for live sound. 

Yeah, I watch a far share of Italian horror movies and a lot of them are like that. I heard it explained that (for Italian & Hong Kong productions) the actors all would speak their native language and listen for the last line of another actor's line so that was their cue to say their next line.  And like you said, they didn't have to do multiple takes on set, they could do it all in the studio and get the film crew onto the next project.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rando1975 said:

Yeah, I watch a far share of Italian horror movies and a lot of them are like that. I heard it explained that (for Italian & Hong Kong productions) the actors all would speak their native language and listen for the last line of another actor's line so that was their cue to say their next line.  And like you said, they didn't have to do multiple takes on set, they could do it all in the studio and get the film crew onto the next project.

I watched Yasuaki Kurata's interveiw in the blu ray of Heroes of the East, and it's what he says : when they shot movies, some actors spoke Cantonese, when other ones spoke Mandarin and himsself spoke Japanese and he was so surprised to see that in the end, all of the actors were dubbed by someone else's voice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TigerCage1990 said:

Looked what arrive before Christmas.

20221216_143627.jpg

Considering there's postal strikes in the UK, you've done well. 

• Like 2

TigerCage1990
14 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Considering there's postal strikes in the UK, you've done well. 

At least i got it unlike my other stuff from 88 that i haven't got yet.

44 minutes ago, TigerCage1990 said:

At least i got it unlike my other stuff from 88 that i haven't got yet.

I had an email from 88 saying Iceman Cometh has been dispatched. That was on the 15th. 

TigerCage1990
2 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I had an email from 88 saying Iceman Cometh has been dispatched. That was on the 15th. 

I haven't got an email yet but maybe soon. As i said i'm greatful i got ShawScope Volume 2.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Looks like this features all the same special features and audio options as Eureka's Region 2 release, with the only difference being the booklets and slipcover artwork. I'm really happy that this is getting a US release for all the fans (and also glad I don't need to double-dip on this title. Though... I do like that new artwork... :thinking :tongue: But, no, dammit. No!).

I carefully watched the two releases contents, and it seems to me that in addition to the booklets, there is also something more in the Arrow release (but I don't remember what !), unless it's in the Eureka but it's not mentioned in the contents.

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I carefully watched the two releases contents, and it seems to me that in addition to the booklets, there is also something more in the Arrow release (but I don't remember what !), unless it's in the Eureka but it's not mentioned in the contents.

Uh... you can't just leave us hanging with this... can you? :thinking

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Uh... you can't just leave us hanging with this... can you? :thinking

Ok... I just copied both descriptions on a document and here is what I found. 

Not mentioned on the Eureka description :

·             Deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release

·             Optional English subtitles for the HK Theatrical Cut and English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on the Export Cut

·             Two choices of English dubbed audio for the HK Theatrical Cut: the original export dub mono and the newer 5.1 dub created for international DVD presentations

Mandarin mono audio for the HK Theatrical Cut,

I think that's all. I thought that only Arrow was 1080p, but I just saw that ti's also mentioned for Eureka.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

·             Deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release

The deleted scene is also in the Eureka, but the online site was just never updated. It shows up in the back of the case.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1