The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Niklaus Vogel
On 11/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, teako170 said:

That I don't know. Sorry.

Warner released the 40th anniversary Blu-Ray so I don't see why they wouldn't release the 50th anniversary UHD of Enter The Dragon themselves.

Edited by Niklaus Vogel

46 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Shawscope voiume two arrived to me safely in the UK can’t wait to delve into this 

392D24A6-35AC-4AA5-A76A-5BD1CA5967CD.jpeg

Still waiting. Probably weekend then.

Just received my Shawscope volume 2 box set and switched it to regional A watched the Mad monkey kung fu scene where the guy swings the monkey around and smashes it against a tree blood everywhere totally sickening tbh but it’s there if anyone wants to know and I’m from the UK

Edited by Graysman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graysman said:

Just received my Shawscope volume 2 box set and switched it to regional A watched the Mad monkey kung fu scene where the guy swings the monkey around and smashes it against a tree blood everywhere totally sickening tbh but it’s there if anyone wants to know and I’m from the UK

Good to know thx, that's the version I'll be watching. 

• Like 1

I hate animal cruelty in all forms, totally needless and a stain on a great movie here. I'll watch in Region B (my set also arrived this afternoon)

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, Graysman said:

Are you saying switching regions in your player gives you two different versions of the film?

3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Are you saying switching regions in your player gives you two different versions of the film?

Yes, playing the disc in Region B shows the censored version while having the player set to Region A shows the full Monkey death scene.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, panzer said:

Yes, playing the disc in Region B shows the censored version while having the player set to Region A shows the full Monkey death scene.

I just searched for it google and found the Twitter page about what you said. Someone also mentioned about this Chinese film - Fistful of talons, in which an eagle gets ripped in half!.

So are there any other films by Arrow that are cut in Blighty but not in region 1A that will show the content?

As someone also said, that's a sneaky way around the BBFC which I completely agree.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, Graysman said:

That's the reason I only saw this movie once!

Appreciate the heads up :thumbsup

• Administrator

Regarding the above comments about MAD MONKEY KUNG FU... Yeah, a purposely horrible scene, meant to make you absolutely hate the bad guys (it works) and sympathize even more with the poor, downtrodden hero. But I wish it had been implied instead of graphically shown. I'm still not 100% sure that the real animal was killed for the scene- it may have been doubled with a fake blood-filled stuffed monkey- that's for sure what I want to believe anyway. :yociexp51:  However, after years of watching the film I'm glad to have the choice to now see it sans that nastiness. For those that don't want to search above, it's done by switching an All-region Blu-ray player to Region B where this scene is censored according to the UK's censorship rules via the BBFC. It plays back uncut in Region A.

As I mentioned in another thread, I received my SHAWSCOPE Vol. 2 set a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to watch anything from it yet, but I opened it and looked at everything. There's some amazing sounding extras on there, including more interviews by Frédéric Ambroisine (the ones I've seen by him in the past are all excellent), audio commentaries by (my late friend) Travis Crawford, Tony Rayns (select scenes), Frank Djeng and Michael Worth, and Brandon Bentley (aka. @OldPangYau), and other features by Grady Hendrix and Chris Poggiali, authors of These Fists Break Bricks, and our guy Terrence J. Brady (aka. @teako170   who also contributed to Vol. 1) dropping knowledge on the Venoms crew. It also has two versions of KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, the French TV documentary CITIZEN SHAW remastered in high definition and with English subs (finally!), just to name a few. Plus, there's some new, kick-ass original artwork included that was produced for this set. Tony Stella's pieces are my favorites once again, but there are other impressive works too.

It's thrilling that I and some of our KFF Forum members contributed to this release. Seems like just yesterday we were simply fans on this forum chatting these films up. Now we get to be a part of this prestigious set of movies that we love (and man, for me personally, the thrill is not diminishing)! Good stuff! :nerd:

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Just got a shipping notification from Grindhouse for Volume 2. Can’t wait ! I’m going straight to Mercenaries From Hong Kong first . 

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HeavenSword said:

Just got a shipping notification from Grindhouse for Volume 2. Can’t wait ! I’m going straight to Mercenaries From Hong Kong first . 

The one thing that pisses me off is they only put commentaries on the obvious movies.

The last set they didn't even bother with either Shaolin Temple or 5 Shaolin Masters.

Probably a few others I cannot remember off the top of my head. The same with 5 Super Fighters.

I don't know who is making these decisions, but they need to reassess, imo.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, AlexanderFu said:

The one thing that pisses me off is they only put commentaries on the obvious movies.

The last set they didn't even bother with either Shaolin Temple or 5 Shaolin Masters.

Probably a few others I cannot remember off the top of my head. The same with 5 Super Fighters.

Agree, the big films get major extras while others are starved for them. At the very least a commentary is good enough. It annoyed me that my favorite film in 1, Dirty Ho, only got a shared video essay with Heroes of the East (at least it was a very good one with Tony Rayns).

I think the extras per disc on Volume 2 is better compared to Volume 1,so things can only go up with 3 and 4.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

Yeah , I wasn’t expecting Frank and Mike to do a commentary though so that’s a surprise.

But yeah movies like Mercenaries From Hong Kong, Five Superfighters, Dirty Ho , Invincible Shaolin are more interesting movies so a commentary for those would have been nice .

Btw anyone, how is Magnificent Ruffians? That’s the only venom flick I haven’t seen . 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Yeah , I wasn’t expecting Frank and Mike to do a commentary though so that’s a surprise.

But yeah movies like Mercenaries From Hong Kong, Five Superfighters, Dirty Ho , Invincible Shaolin are more interesting movies so a commentary for those would have been nice .

Btw anyone, how is Magnificent Ruffians? That’s the only venom flick I haven’t seen . 

Oh, you're in for a treat! it's up there in the Venom catalog, for sure.  :thumbsup

Let us know what you think of it, I bet it gets raves. 

• Like 3

Highly recommend this one. From Disc 5. A nice analysis of the ambiguous timelines of reality and cinema.

Rivers and Lakes, a brand new video essay on Shaw Brothers’ depiction of Chinese myth and history, written and narrated by Jonathan Clements, author of A Brief History of China.

• Like 3

Shaolin Patriot

I'd be curious to know if Ten Tigers of Kwangtung is cut (the Tokyo Shock and IVL DVD versions seemed to be). Perhaps the audio commentary may give us some clues.

• Like 1