The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Chemical Lemon
49 minutes ago, wmcguire18 said:

Hadn't this already started with ONE ARMED BOXER?

Maybe. Is the one armed boxer an identical release though?  Maybe their use of identical isn’t a strict interpretation of that word. I’d be fine with Arrow just scooping up the rights to films in the US that Eureka have in the UK but running out of time sounds more like a cooperative situation where Arrow is just distributing distributing eureka disc in the US. 

id be up for either version of this relationship to become more frequent. It seems like there’s more and more cooperation between labels to get good quality releases out. Third Window Films has been partnering with other labels a lot recently in order to afford the restoration and rights for several 90s and 00s Japanese films that would have never made it to disc otherwise. 

It’s really a great time for blu ray

• Like 2

Watch the end of this video where they talk about what Frank is working on next. It sounds like the rumored Bruce Lee 4K set is confirmed. He also mentions a Jackie Chan box set. This definitely has to involve at least Police Story 3 UHD. Maybe Arrow will put that out if it's just the single film. But, if it is indeed a box set, then maybe Eureka is going back and re-releasing 1 & 2 in UHD and including 3.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 4

actionfan93
1 hour ago, bickle14 said:

Watch the end of this video where they talk about what Frank is working on next. It sounds like the rumored Bruce Lee 4K set is confirmed. He also mentions a Jackie Chan box set. This definitely has to involve at least Police Story 3 UHD. Maybe Arrow will put that out if it's just the single film. But, if it is indeed a box set, then maybe Eureka is going back and re-releasing 1 & 2 in UHD and including 3.

Police Story 1-3 UHD box set hopefully

• Like 4

Are any of the UK labels working on a girls with guns boxset or a John Woo(86-92)boxset? I really want good quality hd versions of these movies for my collection,I have some on dvd but the quality is lacking.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, side__on said:

Are any of the UK labels working on a girls with guns boxset or a John Woo(86-92)boxset? I really want good quality hd versions of these movies for my collection,I have some on dvd but the quality is lacking.

I dont know the answer to your question but I would love a gwg boxset.

A nice and plausible boxset could have Devil Hunters, Fatal Termination, Angel Terminators 1 and 2, Dreaming the Reality, A Serious Shock Yes Madam, Godfathers Mafia Blues and Widow Warriors. And maybe other movies like Lethal Panthers, Angel Enforcers, Princess Madam, Beauty Investigator, Way of Lady Boxer, and Dream Deadly Woman. Keep in mind I'm naming movies that I know have HD masters, that why I left out some others, like Killer Angels.

Another boxset I'm dreaming is a 90's wuxia collection, with movies like Deadful Melody, Moon Warriors, Zen of Sword, 13 Cold Bloded Eagles, Handsome Siblings, Three Swordsmen, The Assasin, Invincible Constable, Legend of Liquid Sword, Deadend of Besiegers* and Sword Stained with Royal Blood*. Again, I'm naming movies with HD masters, maybe there are more I'm missing. 

*These movies are HD but from some prints with dual hardsubs. At least those are the copies I saw on the internet.

Edited by manuhugo
  • Like 7

actionfan93
2 hours ago, manuhugo said:

I dont know the answer to your question but I would love a gwg boxset.

A nice and plausible boxset could have Devil Hunters, Fatal Termination, Angel Terminators 1 and 2, Dreaming the Reality, A Serious Shock Yes Madam, Godfathers Mafia Blues and Widow Warriors. And maybe other movies like Lethal Panthers, Angel Enforcers, Princess Madam, Beauty Investigator, Way of Lady Boxer, and Dream Deadly Woman. Keep in mind I'm naming movies that I know have HD masters, that why I left out some others, like Killer Angels.

Another boxset I'm dreaming is a 90's wuxia collection, with movies like Deadful Melody, Moon Warriors, Zen of Sword, 13 Cold Bloded Eagles, Handsome Siblings, Three Swordsmen, The Assasin, Invincible Constable, Legend of Liquid Sword, Deadend of Besiegers* and Sword Stained with Royal Blood*. Again, I'm naming movies with HD masters, maybe there are more I'm missing. 

*These movies are HD but from some prints with dual hardsubs. At least those are the copies I saw on the internet.

Dreaming the Reality is coming soon from Shamrock Media in Germany from a new HD Master,Beauty Investigator's HD version is cut and cuts down some important scenes as well unless another HD version which is uncut exists,Princess Madam from whats been said on here has rights issues, I assume Killer Angels could come in the future and as for boxsets I assume In the line of Duty 1-4 will come and besides it Angel 1-3 as well maybe or just Angel and Angel 2 but who knows what label will put them out I assume only the most well known films will get releases 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

wmcguire18

I really hope Police Story 3 is getting a separate  blu release because I'm not double dipping on the first two and I've got the HKR for 3, which I'd like to upgrade but don't have to.

• Like 3

JanPospisil
On 5/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, manuhugo said:

That'd be pretty sweet! We know Spectrum are working on Fire Dragon, that'd be my pick for your boxset.
(also Burning Paradise, but that doesn't fit the theme so well)

Edited by JanPospisil
  • Like 2

Here is the Arrow Region A version:

Coming August 30

UTJctm4.jpeg

Quote:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentations of both films, scanned and restored in 2K
- Original lossless Cantonese and Mandarin 5.1 audio options, plus lossless English mono (Running Out of Time) and lossless English 5.1 (Running Out of Time 2)
- Optional English subtitles, newly revised for this release
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Lucas Peverill

DISC 1 - RUNNING OUT OF TIME
- Brand new audio commentary by Hong Kong film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Audio commentary by writers Laurent Cortiaud and Julien Carbon, moderated by Hong Kong film expert Stefan Hammond
- Archival interview with screenwriters Julien Carbon and Laurent Courtiaud
- Archival interview with director Johnnie To
- Archival interview with star Lau Ching-wan
- Archival interview with composer Raymond Wong
- The Directors’ Overview of Carbon and Courtiaud, an archive featurette
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery

DISC 2 - RUNNING OUT OF TIME 2
- Brand new audio commentary by Hong Kong film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- The Making of 'Running Out of Time 2', an archive featurette
- Hong Kong Stories, a 52-minute documentary from 2003 by director Yves Montmayeur (Johnnie Got His Gun!) about Hong Kong cinema mythology via Julien Carbon and Laurent Courtiaud’s experience as screenwriters in the HK film industry, working for Wong Kar-wai, Tsui Hark, Daniel Lee and of course Johnnie To
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the films by David West
Edited by bickle14
  • Like 5

Their release schedule has just been completely shifted due to changing up QC + restructuring. I wouldn't be worried about Shawscope at all.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ShawAngela
28 minutes ago, panzer said:

Their release schedule has just been completely shifted due to changing up QC + restructuring. I wouldn't be worried about Shawscope at all.

What happened ? 

FightingFool
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

What happened ? 

Some of their recent releases have flaws and it`s not good for reputation+disc replacement programs cost money so they are improving Quality Control to avoid such happening again.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
6 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

Some of their recent releases have flaws and it`s not good for reputation+disc replacement programs cost money so they are improving Quality Control to avoid such happening again.

Thanks. I hope that the Shawscope volume 1 isn't concerned by these flaws ! I only watched one of the movies !

• Like 2

FightingFool
Just now, ShawAngela said:

Thanks. I hope that the Shawscope volume 1 isn't concerned by these flaws ! I only watched one of the movies !

Nope. Line or two missing and some tiny errors in Shawscope subs otherwise stellar work. 12 monkeys and Henry are at least movies with issues, maybe there is more.

• Like 4

Anyone else find some of the content in the Shawscope volume 1 booklet to be poorly written and just downright weird - particularly within the “film notes” sections on the movies?

For the Chinatown Kid section, we get two paragraphs about how the scene of Fu Sheng spitting symbolizes Cheng and Shengs relationship, and also “illustrates Changs definition of good film making.”

There were several other times I could hardly make sense of what was written, but hey, maybe I’m just a bit slow.

I enjoy much of the booklet, the pictures and the more factual writings are cool…

….but I hope they get someone else to write the “film notes” next time, and/or stick to more fact based writings on more of them…. I noticed all of them were written by “Simon Abrams.”

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 1

Just a heads up to my US Kung Fu brethren, Arrow is having a 50% off sale at all barnes and noble stores & online :cool

• Like 4

Congrats to Celestial/L'Immagine Ritrovata Asia for being recognized for the work they did on the Shaw Brothers box set put out by Arrow.

Screenshot_2022-06-25 FOCAL International on Twitter.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 7

Super Ninja
On 6/24/2022 at 11:22 PM, nahnahnah said:

Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash is getting a release?! Hell yeah, I'll have my money ready! 

• Like 2

FightingFool
6 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash is getting a release?! Hell yeah, I'll have my money ready! 

If you have seen movie is it good in fight department?It look ok but action cut short in trailer...tho dialogue scenes are not bad at all..

• Like 1