The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

kungfumaniac
1 minute ago, ShawAngela said:

I hope that there won't be too much movies like Boxer's Omen in this boxset !

I do think Boxer's Omen is he only horror film in the box. The HKFA have finally found og trailers that were thought lost for 2 films on the box. This will be the first time they appear since they were originally screened!

• Like 5

So for Vol 2 so far we have:

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians 

Kid with the Golden Arm 

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung 

My Young Auntie 

36th Chamber of Shaolin 

Boxers Omen

36th Chamber 2 (speculation)

36th Chamber 3 (speculation)

Mad Monkey Kung Fu (hinted at)

That leaves 4 more!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Graysman said:

I would imagine Boxer’s omen will be cut to remove the beheading of a live chicken?

This will potentially be case where the Boxer's Omen will be uncut if played in a region A player, but cut if played in a region B player. This has happened with other Arrow discs like The Grand Duel and Savage Three in the Eurocrime box. 

• Like 2

kungfumaniac

Invincible Shaolin,

Ten Tigers,

Magnificent Ruffians,

My Young Auntie,

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Boxer Omen

36th Chamber Trilogy

I know people are tired of the 36 Chamber releases but this will be the definitive release. What you will be getting will be as close to owning a pristine print of the movie as you can get. Other scans were not cross checked against other sources or prints. They just scanned what was on hand. 

Arrow scanned a trailer from my collection and sent me back an 8 GB file. That's for a trailer that's 2 minutes long. The color is amazing and the resolution fantastic. the HKFA is finding stuff for these releases that they thought was lost. 

I tip my hat to Arrow for finally giving these movies their due. My hope is that they put out some lesser known films to go with the blockbusters. I would like to see the David Chiang/Ti Lung/Chang Cheh movies. Other films from the Shaolin cycle. Bells of Death, The Assassin, maybe some Chang Pei Pei movies...

• Like 16
  • Buddha Bless You 2

HeavenSword

This volume seems to be Lau Kar Leung heavy also so gonna take another guess and say the other two movies will be either Lady Is The Boss, Spiritual Boxer or The Shadow Boxing .  Two out of the three.  I’d like if Lady Is The Boss was included , since that’s a far superior version of My Young Auntie in my opinion .

• Like 3

I hope they decide to make a superior coverart for the box itself which we can present on the shelf. Vol 1 is magnificent but the box looks pretty boring.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AslanBey said:

I hope they decide to make a superior coverart for the box itself which we can present on the shelf. Vol 1 is magnificent but the box looks pretty boring.

The packaging for Shawscope Vol. 1 is anything but boring — love it or hate it, it’s definitely not boring. I think it’s lovely.

• Like 4

FightingFool

It`s bit weird Boxers Omen will be in the box. Yup, it`s quite high profile and much hoped title but not all asian horror fans love kung fu movies. Must be very rare individual who buys Shawscope II for sake of BO only. Maybe there is standalone version eventually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FightingFool said:

It`s bit weird Boxers Omen will be in the box. Yup, it`s quite high profile and much hoped title but not all asian horror fans love kung fu movies. Must be very rare individual who buys Shawscope II for sake of BO only. Maybe there is standalone version eventually.

Yes I was thinking exactly the same, the odd movie out is Boxers Omen, classic & must have for some, but, could turn out to be a very, very expensive must have!

Bless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrevrend said:

Yes I was thinking exactly the same, the odd movie out is Boxers Omen, classic & must have for some, but, could turn out to be a very, very expensive must have!

Bless

Same here. For me Boxer's Omen is gonna be the best film in the set (since it's my favourite Shaw film of all time!), but I don't really care for the rest of the films announced so far except for 36th Chamber. And I'm sure many classic kung fu fans are gonna feel the opposite. Putting putting an extreme horror film in a classic kung fu box set isn't really going to please anyone.

It should really have been a stand alone release. Or in a Horror / exploitation / modern day action Shaw set, which would have been a fantastic idea.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Chemical Lemon

Aside from my general dislike of the huge boxset dimensions I definitely prefer getting the box sets as it’s way cheaper than buying them individually. It is definitely unfortunate for anyone looking to pick up just one or two of the movies though. I think that’s built in to their calculations though. I’m guessing they know a lot of these movies have already been picked up by fans through import and they’ll lose a ton of purchases by selling them individually. I suspect they will release most of these individually at some point. Especially boxers omen since that’s one not available anywhere else. I’m guessing until the box sets have sold through we won’t see any individual releases other than the few that are US only releases. That’s just a guess but otherwise a couple of these would have made more sense as separate releases. Boxers omen being one of them

• Like 2

Someone from Arrow said the box sets are for titles that they have both US and UK rights, and the stand-alone releases are US only.

• Like 3

I’m glad Arrow is mixing it up a bit with the genres. I was equally puzzled by the negative reaction to the inclusion of THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN in volume 1. Variety is the spice of life, guys. You can deal. Something for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I’m glad Arrow is mixing it up a bit with the genres. I was equally puzzled by the negative reaction to the inclusion of THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN in volume 1. Variety is the spice of life, guys. You can deal. Something for everyone.

This was my take on Vol. 1

Not a "kung fu" set per se, (Although most the films are) but a tribute to the Shaw Brothers studios in general. I hope they do include some titles from other genres, in all the sets.

• Like 7

On 4/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Takuma said:

Same here. For me Boxer's Omen is gonna be the best film in the set (since it's my favourite Shaw film of all time!), but I don't really care for the rest of the films announced so far except for 36th Chamber. And I'm sure many classic kung fu fans are gonna feel the opposite. Putting putting an extreme horror film in a classic kung fu box set isn't really going to please anyone.

It should really have been a stand alone release. Or in a Horror / exploitation / modern day action Shaw set, which would have been a fantastic idea.

I am with you bro, I really care only about that movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, De Ming Li said:

Will there be advantages to getting both the Eureka and Arrow versions?

"Region A viewers, don’t despair - we’ve partnered with our friends at Eureka to bring you the ultimate edition of Johnnie To’s gangland duo, and an identical Arrow package will be announced very soon!"

I don't see the point of getting both if, beyond Region coding, they are "identical".

• Like 3

Chemical Lemon

The “identical” part is the most intriguing to me. Arrow and 88 are both releasing discs in the US now. If Eureka is partnering with Arrow maybe we’ll see some Eureka martial arts titles getting distributed by Arrow in the US

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chemical Lemon said:

The “identical” part is the most intriguing to me. Arrow and 88 are both releasing discs in the US now. If Eureka is partnering with Arrow maybe we’ll see some Eureka martial arts titles getting distributed by Arrow in the US

Someone needs to seize the opportunity for North America. There is a lot of money to be made and nobody has really capitalized on it yet like in the UK. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Hadn't this already started with ONE ARMED BOXER?

• Like 1