The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

HeavenSword

Yea I gotta admit, I’m really only excited for this second volume because of The Boxers Omen. My Young Auntie , Return to The 36 Chambers & Disciples Of The 36 are three of the worst Shaw movies in my opinion. 

• Like 3

FightingFool
12 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

So for vol. II we have:

My Young Auntie

The Boxer´s Omen

36 Chambers Trilogy

any more unveiled?

I think invincible shaolin, 10 tigers of kwantung, magnificent ruffians and kid with golden arm are confirmed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FightingFool said:

I think invincible shaolin, 10 tigers of kwantung, magnificent ruffians and kid with golden arm are confirmed.

As a hardcore Venoms fan, this is Music to my Ears!!! :yociexp108:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Woah, there´s only one we do not know of then...

Volume 1 included 12 films. Wouldn't Volume 2 follow suit? Or is it just 10?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, michaelNH said:

Volume 1 included 12 films. Wouldn't Volume 2 follow suit? Or is it just 10?

I was about to ask the same question.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Yea I gotta admit, I’m really only excited for this second volume because of The Boxers Omen. My Young Auntie , Return to The 36 Chambers & Disciples Of The 36 are three of the worst Shaw movies in my opinion. 

MY YOUNG AUNTIE seems to be widely regarded as one of the best SB films, and the trailer is totally badass, so I’m greatly looking forward to that one.

• Like 4

FightingFool
28 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

MY YOUNG AUNTIE seems to be widely regarded as one of the best SB films

Would not go that far, but damn good one it definitely is. I think Lau Kar Leung gave more depth to characters Wang Lung Wei played than CC almost never did. He is great in Auntie(also in Martial Club and return to 36th chamber). 

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I wonder why they release movies that already have blue ray releases, such as 10 tigers and the others...

I assume we will get a good number of new restorations like we got with the first shawscope set.

• Like 2

HeavenSword
18 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

MY YOUNG AUNTIE seems to be widely regarded as one of the best SB films, and the trailer is totally badass, so I’m greatly looking forward to that one.

Just know your gonna have to sit through a lot of comedy before you get to any of those action scenes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Just know your gonna have to sit through a lot of comedy before you get to any of those action scenes. 

But see I like those comedy bits so we’re good 👍🏻 

• Like 2

On the contrary I'm very excited for this release. I do wish a bit the 36th Chamber Trilogy was a separate box set (it really deserves its own). But I think people are tending to forget that Arrow caters more to cinema aficionados than us kung fu fandom folks. These boxsets help expose those people more into the world of Shaw Brothers. At the end of the day, its all a marketing strategy. You notice how they started releasing their own line of HK films too (OAB, Come Drink with Me, 8 Diagram) soon after the boxset came out? I think its great.

On a side note I'm more excited to see which films are newly restored from negatives. The first box wasnt all newly restored but the movies that were, looked amazing. I'm hoping the 36th Chamber trilogy will get that new restoration 

• Like 6

I really hope Arrow puts out The Super Inframan and gives it a fresh restoration with no framecuts or DNR, and uses the same style English dub track that 88 used, keeping the entire film intact and just dropping in the English dialogue bits where necessary in order to keep as much of the original soundtrack as possible. Joe Brenner replaced the entire awesome opening credits sequence and also senselessly removed Inframan’s cool transformation animation and silenced much of the original music score.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

Chemical Lemon
15 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I really hope Arrow gives The Super Inframan a fresh restoration with no framecuts or DNR, and uses the same style English dub track that 88 used, keeping the entire film intact and just dropping in the English dialogue bits where necessary in order to keep as much of the original soundtrack as possible. Joe Brenner replaced the entire awesome opening credits sequence and also senselessly removed Inframan’s cool transformation animation and silenced much of the original music score.

Is the Super Inframan confirmed from Arrow?  Or is this a wish for a restored super Inframan?  It seems to be a reasonable chance since the mighty Peking man was in the first set. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Is the Super Inframan confirmed from Arrow?  Or is this a wish for a restored super Inframan?  It seems to be a reasonable chance since the mighty Peking man was in the first set. 

Sorry, just a wish, didn’t mean to get anyone’s hopes up! I re-edited my post for clarity.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

Vol. 1 was pretty awesome but i would wish a better artwork. The artwork on the box itself was relatively ugly. I hope they make it better in vol. 2

• Like 1

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but Arrow's THE 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER blu-ray is from a new restoration:

"The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 with its original Cantonese, Mandarin and English mono mixes. Every effort has been made to present this film in its original and complete version using the best materials available.

The original 35mm picture negative was scanned in 2K resolution at L'Immagine Ritrovata Asia and restored at L'Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna. The film was graded at R3Store Studios, London. This new restoration has used the entire film negative without resorting to the practice of "frame cutting" resulting in the loss of film frames at each negative splice point.

The mono mixes were remastered from the original sound negatives at L'Immagine Ritrovata. Additional sound remastering was completed by matthew Jarman / Bad Princess Productions.

All original materials were made available from the Hong Kong Film Archive via Celestial Pictures."

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ronin said:

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but Arrow's THE 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER blu-ray is from a new restoration:

"The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 with its original Cantonese, Mandarin and English mono mixes. Every effort has been made to present this film in its original and complete version using the best materials available.

The original 35mm picture negative was scanned in 2K resolution at L'Immagine Ritrovata Asia and restored at L'Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna. The film was graded at R3Store Studios, London. This new restoration has used the entire film negative without resorting to the practice of "frame cutting" resulting in the loss of film frames at each negative splice point.

The mono mixes were remastered from the original sound negatives at L'Immagine Ritrovata. Additional sound remastering was completed by matthew Jarman / Bad Princess Productions.

All original materials were made available from the Hong Kong Film Archive via Celestial Pictures."

Figured that it would be a new restoration when they mentioned the correct SB logo sequence would be included. Can't wait for it to arrive!

23 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

It’s here ! 😁 Haven’t seen this one in forever 

3478E8F3-4F7E-4D1E-9065-289BA23CBE73.jpeg

Lucky! The US store exclusive just started shipping. Is it a new restoration?

Edited by lilmanjs
  • Like 2

HeavenSword
32 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Figured that it would be a new restoration when they mentioned the correct SB logo sequence would be included. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Lucky! The US store exclusive just started shipping. Is it a new restoration?

Im getting all my Shaw flicks from Arrow/ 88  on Amazon, they’re doing discounts on most of them . This shipped Monday and got here super quick . Thinking about getting 8 Diagram Pole Fighter now . I said I wouldn’t double dip but the screenshots I saw from a blu ray site look great .

But the CDWM booklet dosen’t mention this being a new restoration .

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 3