The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

On 2/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, Yihetuan said:

I thought this was a cool pic of Yasuaki Kurata holding his personal copy.

Great picture @Yihetuan Shaw Box-Set Volume One as approved by Yasuaki Kurata.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

D6B1C6DA-D03C-4F23-8EEB-8E84214A9746.jpeg

Bonus Materials
2K restoration from the original elements by Fortune Star.
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation.
Original lossless Mandarin mono audio, alternate Mandarin soundtrack and original English dubbed audio.
Optional English subtitles, plus hard-of-hearing subtitles for the English dub.
REGION A RELEASE.
Commentary by Frank Djeng from the NY Asian Film Festival.
Career retrospective interview with Wang Yu, filmed in Nantes in 2001 and never released before, courtesy of the Frédéric Ambroisine Video Archive.
Trailer gallery, featuring the original Hong Kong theatrical trailer, a US TV spot (as The Chinese Professionals) and over half an hour of trailers for other Wang Yu classics including One-Armed Swordsman and Master of the Flying Guillotine.
Image gallery.
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly
commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady.
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Simon Abram.

• Like 7

Maybe this thread should remove "Shaw Brothers" releases and put Hong Kong... because it sounds like they will be releasing much more from Fortune Star.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Moderation Team
14 hours ago, bickle14 said:

Maybe this thread should remove "Shaw Brothers" releases and put Hong Kong... because it sounds like they will be releasing much more from Fortune Star.

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please continue to use this thread for Arrow releases of films from HK, Shaw Brothers or otherwise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

I wonder if Arrow will get exclusives from Fortune Star or the same films as Eureka and 88

It sounds and looks like they are targeting Region A with these releases, so I would assume it is things that already have gotten releases in Region B... at least for now.

Hopefully they do get some cool A/B releases that are new.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 2

Regions A+B would be better than only Region A...This cover for One armed boxer is great. Who is the artist ?

They say that the Mandarin dubbed is new. I don't remember if Eureka said the same on its own release. Does anyone know ?

If Arrow begins to release other old martial arts movies than Shaws, it's great, but if they are region A only, I'll be very angry with them !!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

If Arrow begins to release other old martial arts movies than Shaws, it's great, but if they are region A only, I'll be very angry with them !!

It is confirmed that they have a deal with Fortune Star.

Since they are a UK based company, I think it would be highly unlikely that they would do a Region A only release for something that doesn't have a UK release already (by another company). These Region A only ones are just because 88 and Eureka have have Region B rights and Arrow is moving in on the market in North America.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 3

sifu iron perm

non Fu..but they are releasing GASPAR NOE'S INSANE AND GREATEST EXP[ERIMENTAL TRIP OF A FLICK..

13681016-7934937190209460.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Director's Cut which i saw at the london film festival with the man himself!!!

• Like 4

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Regions A+B would be better than only Region A...This cover for One armed boxer is great. Who is the artist ?

They say that the Mandarin dubbed is new. I don't remember if Eureka said the same on its own release. Does anyone know ?

It's likely they'll do what @bickle14 said above. I think Arrow will remain a "UK release priority" company.

Ilan Sheady is the name of the artist that did the ONE-ARMED BOXER cover; good stuff! I'll definitely be picking up this release because of the additional special features... even though I already have the one that just came out (seems like yesterday :thinking).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'll definitely be picking up this release because of the additional special features... even though I already have the one that just came out (seems like yesterday :thinking).

lol, when this was announced, I had to do a double take thinking... didn't I literally just buy this?! I thought I was having a senior moment...oh well, even so I like to support my favorite Martial Arts movies in my Region!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

It's likely they'll do what @bickle14 said above. I think Arrow will remain a "UK release priority" company.

Ilan Sheady is the name of the artist that did the ONE-ARMED BOXER cover; good stuff! I'll definitely be picking up this release because of the additional special features... even though I already have the one that just came out (seems like yesterday :thinking).

Special features to OAB are amazing...specially wang yu trailers..

• Like 3

• Administrator
2 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

lol, when this was announced, I had to do a double take thinking... didn't I literally just buy this?! I thought I was having a senior moment...oh well, even so I like to support my favorite Martial Arts movies in my Region!!

I didn't even get to watch my Eureka one yet. :tongueout

50 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

Special features to OAB are amazing...specially wang yu trailers..

I agree! The interviews that Master Fred conducted are always fantastic! And having met and watched Jimmy Wang Yu being interviewed live at the New York Asian Film Festival special event, I know he's a great interviewee. Who knows what kind of verbal gold nuggets he's going to drop in this extra feature?!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Finally decided to order shawscope vol1. What a nice treat. But i dont get the idea behind putting mighty peking man in the set, since all other movies are martial arts movie. (Or is mighty oeking man also a MA film??)

And a very little mini deficit for me is that you cant see the productionyear of the movie on the page with the disc. For someone like me who doesnt know much a about these films it would be nice. 

But overall top-release. 5 stars.

Where can i find the first movies for vol 2 again?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Where can i find the first movies for vol 2 again?

There's a partial list on page 13 of this thread. I don't know if there's been any updates to that.

• Like 3

As a fairly new collector of this genre, I'm very excited about the upcoming Arrow releases from Fortune Star, (as well as further Shaw releases of course.) I'm sure for many of you who have been collecting for years, seeing another release of a movie you already own from region B, might be a bit underwhelming, but some of us don't have all those region B releases, so it is quite exciting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, michaelNH said:

As a fairly new collector of this genre, I'm very excited about the upcoming Arrow releases from Fortune Star, (as well as further Shaw releases of course.) I'm sure for many of you who have been collecting for years, seeing another release of a movie you already own from region B, might be a bit underwhelming, but some of us don't have all those region B releases, so it is quite exciting.

Welcome to the forum and in the marvelous world of the movies collectors !

• Like 5

FightingFool
8 hours ago, kungfumaniac said:

I can confirm a certain trilogy with the number 36 in it for box 2 :)

That is imo not exactly great news. 1st movie is superb, 2nd is ok and 3rd is uberdire. Would have rather seen those all in their own box and 3 other movies in Scope#2. Hopefully there is some surprise incentive, right now it looks like "invincible shaolin" is only real must have as upgrade(don`t have Ruffians yet on BR but can be obtained from Germany).

• Like 3