The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

FightingFool
10 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

The Chinese boxer is one of the baddest films ever! 

Hard to say which is "badder" CB or King Boxer as they have fair amount of similarities(Wang Ping as love interest, iron hand and japanese villains. And Lo Lieh appears in both). Story in KB is better but on the other hand just have to love CB a lot...CB has little bit superior end  fight..

45 minutes ago, Django said:

It's not about scratches, Blu-Rays are very resistant to scratches, however fingerprints is not avoidable with this packaging! You need to get your finger in under the disc to get it out, which is something I always want to avoid.

If you have little bit of nails it`s possible to slide it off from the pocket by grabbing centre and edge of disc without leaving fingerprints. It`s ankward tho, wish box would not be like this but it is what it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Django said:

It's not about scratches, Blu-Rays are very resistant to scratches, however fingerprints is not avoidable with this packaging! You need to get your finger in under the disc to get it out, which is something I always want to avoid.

Those can be easily wiped off, in the rare instance that I get one on a disc; however, I often see comments like “OMG my discs are gonna get scratched to high heaven, gee thanks a lot, Arrow!”, etc.

• Like 2

I hope they propose a new box that is more practical externally and internally. I didn't buy it at that high price especially for this problem.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
4 hours ago, Django said:

I solved the disc housing problem like this. With all the great extras and everything these will go in and out of the player for a good while now so this will be way more practical! Mighty Peking will remain untouched in it's cardboard jacket, where it belongs 😄

IMG_20220106_191738_558.jpg

So you’re not going to watch Peking man at all? Why not just get the arrow streaming service, it’s in there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

So you’re not going to watch Peking man at all? Why not just get the arrow streaming service, it’s in there. 

I have seen it in the past and  I hated it..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Django said:

I have seen it in the past and  I hated it..

Can’t relate — wonderfully entertaining giant monster film with great miniature destruction effects and one of the sexiest blondes I’ve ever seen onscreen, pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

No art on the discs ? I'm disappointed !!

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon

A weird thing that may have been mentioned but I hadn’t realized. I thought at first there were no legit English subs translated from the original language. Only just realizing now that the sub options are specific to your choice of audio.  So mandarin/Cantonese only gets translated subs, and the English dub only gets English SDH.  This makes sense in some ways, like the timing of the audio is frequently different between the Chinese track and the English track. At the same time I genuinely prefer watching with the English dub and translated subtitles. It’s sort of the best of both worlds for me. Wish both subtitle options were available on both audio options. The only situation I really see a benefit to splitting them is if the two versions of the film are different with different cuts etc. 

a minor complaint, I’m glad that the translated subs are available even if not for the English dub. 

Edited by Chemical Lemon
Fixed typo
  • Like 2

I feel the opposite. I have to watch English with subs as I’m a little hard of hearing, and I can’t focus at all when releases use the ‘sub’ subs instead of SDH and they don’t match up.

Edited by Stewart
  • Like 3

Chemical Lemon
21 minutes ago, Stewart said:

I feel the opposite. I have to watch English with subs as I’m a little hard of hearing, and I can’t focus at all when releases use the ‘sub’ subs instead of SDH and they don’t match up.

I totally get that, and I also frequently have difficulty hearing (probably more understanding than hearing) the tv. I always have subtitles on when I watch tv.  I usually don’t have a difficulty with old school kung fu dubs though. Possibly because the language is always simplified and 90% emotion over information, definitely a little because I’ve seen them so many times, but possibly because of the dubbing process and the fact I’m so familiar with the voices (same dozen or so dubbers on hundreds of movies) so I don’t struggle to understand them. 

I love that we have both the SDH and translated subs (I wish they always did). I just wish we had both options regardless of which audio option we picked. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

A weird thing that may have been mentioned but I hadn’t realized. I thought at first there were no legit English subs translated from the original language. Only just realizing now that the sub options are specific to your choice of audio.  So mandarin/Cantonese only gets translated subs, and the English dub only gets English SDH.  This makes sense in some ways, like the timing of the audio is frequently different between the Chinese track and the English track. At the same time I genuinely prefer watching with the English dub and translated subtitles. It’s sort of the best of both worlds for me. Wish both subtitle options were available on both audio options. The only situation I really see a benefit to splitting them is if the two versions of the film are different with different cuts etc. 

a minor complaint, I’m glad that the translated subs are available even if not for the English dub. 

I figured you could switch subtitle options on the fly — not the case, eh? I haven’t tried it myself.

• Like 3

Chemical Lemon
7 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I figured you could switch subtitle options on the fly — not the case, eh? I haven’t tried it myself.

Actually that’s a good point, I was picking from the setup menu, but never bothered to try switching through the players subtitle functions. I bet that works. 

• Like 3

Accidently leaked on Canadian site:

49587_5_the-8-diagram-pole-fighter_3d_bd

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
• Original lossless Cantonese, Mandarin and English mono audio
• Optional English subtitles, plus hard-of-hearing subtitles for the English dub
• Brand new commentary by Jonathan Clements, author of A Brief History of China
• Newly filmed appreciation by film critic and historian Tony Rayns
• Interviews with stars Gordon Liu, Lily Li and Yeung Ching-ching, filmed by Frédéric Ambroisine in 2004
• A Tribute to Fu Sheng, a short film commemorating the late actor that played before early screenings of The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, presented via a German-dubbed telecine (the best available copy) with English subtitles
• Alternate opening credits, as The Invincible Pole Fighters
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Aspinall

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the film by Terrence J. Brady

Edited by nahnahnah
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Optional English subtitles, plus hard-of-hearing subtitles for the English dub
• Interviews with stars Gordon Liu, Lily Li and Yeung Ching-ching, filmed by Frédéric Ambroisine in 2004
• A Tribute to Fu Sheng, a short film commemorating the late actor that played before early screenings of The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, presented via a German-dubbed telecine (the best available copy) with English subtitles
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Aspinall

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the film by Terrence J. Brady

I have the 88 Films release, but will probably double-dip since it has both Cantonese and Mandarin tracks (I think 88 only has the Cantonese track), and I'm interested in the "Tribute to Fu Sheng". Always love getting bonus material that I've never seen before.

• Like 6

This one is worth a double dip IMO, as I also have the 88 release.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:22 AM, Chemical Lemon said:

Actually that’s a good point, I was picking from the setup menu, but never bothered to try switching through the players subtitle functions. I bet that works. 

It does. Worked for me anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

Could you give the link, please ?

• Like 1

That is beautiful cover for 8 diagram. While characters(and movie) save Abbot are fierce, blue adds lot feeling of calmness to art. May be too expensive to double(or triple actually as own dd dvd besides 88 br) to EU because of handling fees+taxes+shipping but if some shops imports it, sure purchase. Nice extra materials.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dshooker said:

Whoa, that’s a fantastic SB logo, very ‘80s indeed! Even more reason to double-dip now, thanks Arrow!

How many other SB films on Blu currently have the incorrect logo?

• Like 5

A new 2k remaster is also a huge reason to double-dip! Their remasters for the Shaw Brothers Boxset are fantastic, so I wouldn't be surprised if their remaster for Eight Diagram is also spectacular! Especially since they do their best to restore the film to how it was originally presented, including the time-accurate logo!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 5