The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

I cannot believe my favorite movies of all time are getting these kind of releases. I've been in school this year and I'm catching up on a ton of releases but this one I got for Christmas and it was so fantastic. The news that COME DRINK WITH ME is the follow up, and there announced titles in the new box set have me convinced this is the golden age for kung fu collectors. I hope we get KILLER CONSTABLE at some point because I can't find the 88 Films or the German blu ANYWHERE.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ronin said:

According to my "source" with inside info, there is no Chor Yuen movie in the second Arrow SB set.

Your source must have wrong information, this is from the horses mouth itself 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FlipOtaku said:

I really have no idea why that posted three times lol

One for last year, one for this new year and one for the fun...or for those who wouldn't be convinced....:monk_laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

Is there more?  Because this tweet alone doesn’t confirm a chor Yuen movie in the boxset. It could confirm 1 from each director but I would interpret that as one movie in the boxset from either director.  I’ll be happy either way. Im surprised that Arrow has included so many top tier movies in their first boxset and can’t wait for the second  

btw.. I enjoyed your interview with Frank Djeng, thanks for sharing it  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Is there more?  Because this tweet alone doesn’t confirm a chor Yuen movie in the boxset. It could confirm 1 from each director but I would interpret that as one movie in the boxset from either director.  I’ll be happy either way. Im surprised that Arrow has included so many top tier movies in their first boxset and can’t wait for the second  

btw.. I enjoyed your interview with Frank Djeng, thanks for sharing it  

You’re totally right, I just took it as a Chor Yuen movie for some reason. I’m super shocked how stacked boxset two already is, might be better than volume 1 for me personally 

and thanks so much for watching! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

I really have no idea why that posted three times lol

Fixed. Yep, the forum must have really wanted to get a 'happy new year' out of that post! 

• Like 1

FightingFool
19 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

Guessing it will be Boxers Omen. Or if 88 rights have lapsed, Killer Constable. But BO stronger bet...Vol#2 looks interesting because only Venom have movie imported from Germany was Kid. Hopefully they have some earlier Shaws planned as single releases..

Watched King Boxer...even as was expected jump up in PQ it almost shocked to see it 1st time as HD when had gotten used first to so-so ivl and better DD dvds...Wang Ping interview was nice, Wish someone would release "5 billion dollar legacy" she mentions. Great murder mystery, but so unlikely it happens.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 5

On 12/31/2021 at 7:18 PM, FlipOtaku said:

My source is working on the Arrow sets. The tweet above is confirming that there is a film directed by Kuei Chih-Hung in the Volume 2 set, and it is indeed a "banger."

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Ronin said:

My source is working on the Arrow sets. The tweet above is confirming that there is a film directed by Kuei Chih-Hung in the Volume 2 set, and it is indeed a "banger."

My guess is Killer Constable, Boxers Omen or Bewitched. 

• Like 3

Shaolin Patriot
On 12/31/2021 at 12:02 AM, KenHashibe said:

Absolutely love this set, as everyone has been saying! The new restorations done by Arrow look phenomenal, while the ones by Celestial have a slightly softer look, but are still great. I always love it when kung fu Blu-ray's contain the classic theatrical trailers, and this release is PACKED with them! I have barely been able to watch any of the films and special features because there is so much to get through. I was still able to skim through each disc to see what features are on there, and how the transfers look.

I did get to watch Heroes of the East all the way through with my girlfriend. I had seen it many times but it was her first time seeing it, and she loved it! Looking forward to getting through the rest!

My curiosity peaked and I had to listen to the Five Venoms commentary. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is full of factual errors. I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but he starts off by stating that Dick Wei plays the old Poison Clan leader at the beginning of the film (which is true). But then he "corrects" himself later and states that Dick Wei actually played a fruit vendor and Ku Feng plays the Poison Clan leader (at 16:23-17:08 in the commentary track).

In all fairness, I've never done a commentary and I assume it's much harder than I might think, but I'm sure even a casual fan can recognize Dick Wei, one of the most prolific actors in HK action movies. He excuses himself by saying it's hard to recognize these actors with makeup, but IT'S DICK WEI.

Besides the factual errors and direct quotes from Chang Cheh's memoir, he spends most of the commentary analyzing the film like a movie review instead of being an informative piece. However, keep in mind that this commentary is the one flaw in an otherwise perfect set.

That's why research is so important!  Sorry to hear of this single blemish on an otherwise spectacular set. Hopefully Arrow is aware of this and he won't be invited back to record another commentary.  At least we still have Bey Logan on the Dragon Dynasty release. 

• Like 3

MaskedAvenger

Just received my set yesterday, I don't normally upgrade my movies as I have all these movies already on dvd (some of them I own 3 different versions) but this set was too good to pass on and I wasn't disappointed once I opened it. 

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 2

3 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

The Chinese boxer is one of the baddest films ever! 

And by bad you mean really "not good"? Or bad= sth. like badass nice ??

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, MaskedAvenger said:

Just received my set yesterday, I don't normally upgrade my movies as I have all these movies already on dvd (some of them I own 3 different versions) but this set was too good to pass on and I wasn't disappointed once I opened it. 

great!!

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 3

sifu iron perm
34 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

And by bad you mean really "not good"? Or bad= sth. like badass nice ??

Brilliant!!

• Like 4

I solved the disc housing problem like this. With all the great extras and everything these will go in and out of the player for a good while now so this will be way more practical! Mighty Peking will remain untouched in it's cardboard jacket, where it belongs 😄

IMG_20220106_191738_558.jpg

Edited by Django
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can’t relate to the packaging complaints  on this set — I have no issue with removing and replacing the discs without scratching them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

My only complaint about it is that I wish Arrow would standardize their limited packaging. This set next to their Daimajin, Yokai, and Gamera sets (plus Criterion’s Godzilla) is just a big ol’ mess on my shelf. I’m sure I won’t mind as much once we get a few volumes in to the Shaw sets.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WaverBoy said:

Can’t relate to the packaging complaints  on this set — I have no issue with removing and replacing the discs without scratching them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not about scratches, Blu-Rays are very resistant to scratches, however fingerprints is not avoidable with this packaging! You need to get your finger in under the disc to get it out, which is something I always want to avoid.

• Like 1