The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Unfortunately most people with either big egos or weak egos can't seem to take criticism, constructive or not... integrity is a rare trait in the internet era. Also, from my many years of being a diehard fan of this genre, I've come across alot of Arrogant know-it-all types, more so then in other genre's i follow...

Lastly damn this blizzard in the Pacific Northwest... my Arrow Collection is still being weather delayed :aLJFBQ00151070111C:

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Lol... what a sensitive little douche. Why can't these guys just own up to their mistakes.... it ain't that hard. Especially when it's pointed out to them in a cordial manner like it is here. 

I wasn’t even going to bring it up to him because people make Mistakes. But my buddy (FanaticalDragon on YouTube) had messaged him just letting him know what the mistakes were and was blocked by him. Found that so arrogant 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Angry 3

17 minutes ago, FlipOtaku said:

I wasn’t even going to bring it up to him because people make Mistakes. But my buddy (FanaticalDragon on YouTube) had messaged him just letting him know what the mistakes were and was blocked by him. Found that so arrogant 

Sinking deeper and deeper. I'm not glad but that's no way to handle this, it's gone from bad to worse. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

• Administrator
13 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

Here’s a link to the tweet thread: 

Thanks for the link.

As for his response... Um, okay.

4 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Unfortunately most people with either big egos or weak egos can't seem to take criticism, constructive or not... integrity is a rare trait in the internet era. Also, from my many years of being a diehard fan of this genre, I've come across alot of Arrogant know-it-all types, more so then in other genre's i follow...

Lastly damn this blizzard in the Pacific Northwest... my Arrow Collection is still being weather delayed :aLJFBQ00151070111C:

Strange, isn't it?

That sucks! I hope some sled dogs come to the rescue soon with your set.

56 minutes ago, FlipOtaku said:

Really? Um, okay. :wondering

• Like 4

Received my copy the other day. Its really a nice package. Very beefy. Hope the fans enjoy. I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with Arrow on this box-set and I'm planning to do some additional work on V2. No, not another full length commentary. I never realized how much work one of those involved (lol) but it was a unique experience. Happy New Year everyone....

shawvol1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

12 hours ago, teako170 said:

Received my copy the other day. Its really a nice package. Very beefy. Hope the fans enjoy. I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with Arrow on this box-set and I'm planning to do some additional work on V2. No, not another full length commentary. I never realized how much work one of those involved (lol) but it was a unique experience. Happy New Year everyone....

shawvol1.jpg

When there will be announced the titles in Vol 2?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mantid said:

I don’t have it on me to list them, but 5 or 6 upcoming titles were listed in the book for Volume 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mantid said:

Here’s what’s announced so far 

My young Auntie

-Invincible Shaolin 

-Magnificent Ruffians

-Kid with the golden arm 

-Ten Tigers from Kwangtung 

-36th chambers of shaolin

-return 36th chambers 

-mystery Chor Yuen movie 

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Absolutely love this set, as everyone has been saying! The new restorations done by Arrow look phenomenal, while the ones by Celestial have a slightly softer look, but are still great. I always love it when kung fu Blu-ray's contain the classic theatrical trailers, and this release is PACKED with them! I have barely been able to watch any of the films and special features because there is so much to get through. I was still able to skim through each disc to see what features are on there, and how the transfers look.

I did get to watch Heroes of the East all the way through with my girlfriend. I had seen it many times but it was her first time seeing it, and she loved it! Looking forward to getting through the rest!

On 12/29/2021 at 3:23 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Thanks for the link.

As for his response... Um, okay.

Really? Um, okay. :wondering

My curiosity peaked and I had to listen to the Five Venoms commentary. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is full of factual errors. I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but he starts off by stating that Dick Wei plays the old Poison Clan leader at the beginning of the film (which is true). But then he "corrects" himself later and states that Dick Wei actually played a fruit vendor and Ku Feng plays the Poison Clan leader (at 16:23-17:08 in the commentary track).

In all fairness, I've never done a commentary and I assume it's much harder than I might think, but I'm sure even a casual fan can recognize Dick Wei, one of the most prolific actors in HK action movies. He excuses himself by saying it's hard to recognize these actors with makeup, but IT'S DICK WEI.

Besides the factual errors and direct quotes from Chang Cheh's memoir, he spends most of the commentary analyzing the film like a movie review instead of being an informative piece. However, keep in mind that this commentary is the one flaw in an otherwise perfect set.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 5

On 12/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, FlipOtaku said:

He blocked the awesome Fanatical Dragon just for pointing out factual errors? What a butthurt douchenozzle.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, BigDruDogg said:

You’re in the Pacific NW? Me too! I’m in Seattle Town! Still have snow about, although luckily my Shawscope preorder got to me on Xmas Eve, a couple days before it hit — I hope you get yours soon!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

Here’s what’s announced so far 

My young Auntie

-Invincible Shaolin 

-Magnificent Ruffians

-Kid with the golden arm 

-Ten Tigers from Kwangtung 

-36th chambers of shaolin

-return 36th chambers 

-mystery Chor Yuen movie 

I hope that the Chor Yuen movie is Swordsman and Enchantress

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mantid said:

I hope that the Chor Yuen movie is Swordsman and Enchantress

According to my "source" with inside info, there is no Chor Yuen movie in the second Arrow SB set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

According to my "source" with inside info, there is no Chor Yuen movie in the second Arrow SB set.

really? is a reliable souce? 

What a waste if it's true 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mantid said:

really? is a reliable souce? 

What a waste if it's true 

Yes, very reliable source. I would say 2-3 films in Volume 2 are a little more adventurous choices, while the rest are pretty much what everyone expects. Which is fine, they need to sell units and hopefully pave the way for more sets with more obscure films.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Yes, very reliable source. I would say 2-3 films in Volume 2 are a little more adventurous choices, while the rest are pretty much what everyone expects. Which is fine, they need to sell units and hopefully pave the way for more sets with more obscure films.

so there are no wuxia?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

You’re in the Pacific NW? Me too! I’m in Seattle Town! Still have snow about, although luckily my Shawscope preorder got to me on Xmas Eve, a couple days before it hit — I hope you get yours soon!

Awesome! I'm in the Olympia area, and my Set Arrived yesterday!!

What a perfect way to ring in the new year then by watching Shaw Bros :xd:

Happy New Years Everyone!! :monk_toasting:

• Like 4

My volume one finally shipped . Shows I should be getting it Monday….but that sucks if we don’t get a Chor Yuen.  I like those venom films, but they are also really cheap looking . Chor Yuen ( and Sun Chung also) really knew how to use those sets , so you know their movies would look really great in high quality. 

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, HeavenSword said:

My volume one finally shipped . Shows I should be getting it Monday….but that sucks if we don’t get a Chor Yuen.  I like those venom films, but they are also really cheap looking . Chor Yuen ( and Sun Chung also) really knew how to use those sets , so you know their movies would look really great in high quality. 

It’s exactly what I think, there are so many great Chor Yuen movies that I would love to have in a proper release

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mantid said:

It’s exactly what I think, there are so many great Chor Yuen movies that I would love to have in a proper release

Jade tiger would be great "mystery" Chu Yuan movie.

Maybe it's a bonus movie hidden in one of the discs, hence the source saying "no Chu Yuan' movie" ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Jade tiger would be great "mystery" Chu Yuan movie.

Maybe it's a bonus movie hidden in one of the discs, hence the source saying "no Chu Yuan' movie" ?

If we really get a Chu Yuan movie in the vol 2 it will not be a movie before the 1978 so I hope in Swordsman and Enchantress(I love that movie) but I think that Convict Killer is a title more in line with the rest of their choices

Edited by mantid
  • Like 2

• Administrator
On 12/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, teako170 said:

Glad to know you'll be contributing to Vol. 2, and I'm hoping to have time soon to listen to your CHINATOWN KID commentary on Vol. 1. Yeah, doing an audio commentary can be a massive undertaking! That's why I haven't done more (though I appreciated being asked to). I think I'll do more... someday... maybe. :itwasntme

14 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Absolutely love this set, as everyone has been saying! The new restorations done by Arrow look phenomenal, while the ones by Celestial have a slightly softer look, but are still great. I always love it when kung fu Blu-ray's contain the classic theatrical trailers, and this release is PACKED with them! I have barely been able to watch any of the films and special features because there is so much to get through. I was still able to skim through each disc to see what features are on there, and how the transfers look.

I did get to watch Heroes of the East all the way through with my girlfriend. I had seen it many times but it was her first time seeing it, and she loved it! Looking forward to getting through the rest!

My curiosity peaked and I had to listen to the Five Venoms commentary. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is full of factual errors. I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but he starts off by stating that Dick Wei plays the old Poison Clan leader at the beginning of the film (which is true). But then he "corrects" himself later and states that Dick Wei actually played a fruit vendor and Ku Feng plays the Poison Clan leader (at 16:23-17:08 in the commentary track).

In all fairness, I've never done a commentary and I assume it's much harder than I might think, but I'm sure even a casual fan can recognize Dick Wei, one of the most prolific actors in HK action movies. He excuses himself by saying it's hard to recognize these actors with makeup, but IT'S DICK WEI.

Besides the factual errors and direct quotes from Chang Cheh's memoir, he spends most of the commentary analyzing the film like a movie review instead of being an informative piece. However, keep in mind that this commentary is the one flaw in an otherwise perfect set.

So cool that you got to share HEROES OF THE EAST with your lovely lady. It was one of the first ones I showed my better half, about 26 years ago (I think that's long before you were born @KenHashibe :wink:). My parents watched it recently too! It's fantastic. I only wish it had received a stand-alone release with tons of special features. It deserves that kind of release. Still, I'm happy to finally have it on Blu-ray.

Shame about that audio commentary.

14 hours ago, Asmo said:

Okay, the praise for this set has me hoping that mine gets here really soon.

I've sent out a team of Shaolin ninjas (yes, it is a thing) to expedite the arrival of your set. No @Asmo should be without it!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've sent out a team of Shaolin ninjas (yes, it is a thing) to expedite the arrival of your set. No @Asmo should be without it!

With @KUNG FU BOB and the Shaolin Ninjas on the case, I know it'll arrive soon!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1