The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

35 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Do you mean/think that the German Blu ray Isn't decent enough ?

I just meant it's barebones and is not English friendly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Don't forget The Web of Death. I think that might've been one of the first to hit blu ray from Well Go over a decade ago. Heroes Shed No Tears & Killer Clans have had  German blu ray releases but only Heroes Shed No Tears is English friendly.

Yeah, there is also Proud Twins in german blu ray with english sub, same with the convict killer that most likely will be in the Vol 2 of the arrow box set 

I just want more and hope that they will bring Magic Blade, Sentimental Swordsman, Killer Clans, Clans of Intrigue ecc.

4 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

If they hate Wuxia, then why are they putting out Come Drink With Me? That's totally a Wuxia film.

I still haven’t seen a wuxia title announced for the box set

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

If they hate Wuxia, then why are they putting out Come Drink With Me? That's totally a Wuxia film.

Maybe King Hua is pontential selling point. I do not like movie who seen it just once. In fact only thing recall there scene with group of kids stretching their vocal chords.

• Like 1

Just watched KING BOXER for the first time. I had long had the ancient non-anamorphic Steeplechase Entertainment bootleg DVD of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH, complete with cheesetastic video generated title card, but for some reason I never got round to watching it — just now popped it in to see how bad it looked by comparison, and…well, at least it was widescreen! I’m kinda glad I waited, even though it turns out I had deprived myself of repeat viewings of an excellent film — what a classic this is, love the emphasis on story and character (very sad in spots what with the unrequited love bit and the eventual fate of one character) and the fight choreography is excellent for the period. Very nice direction as well. And Arrow’s restoration looks and sounds just gorgeous, very glad they got to do a new restoration of half the films in the set at least, and this one really shines next to the usual Celestial job of a bit too much DNR, overfiltered muffled audio, frame cuts, etc. I wish they could have done new restorations of all the films!

But, yeah, KING BOXER — a sterling presentation of a stone cold classic, with a wealth of extra features, including a most welcome and informative talk by Tony Rayns on the film and the history behind it, including the rise of Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest and this film being Shaw’s response to The Big Boss, although he curiously doesn’t mention Jimmy Wang Yu’s watershed hand-to-hand film THE CHINESE BOXER for Shaw, which inspired both Bruce and obviously this film. Also loved the Celestial Shaw documentary which happily and most unexpectedly includes behind-the-scenes footage of the late great Lau Kar-Leung directing his 2003 film DRUNKEN MONKEY, which I quite like and think is underrated — I’d upgrade my old Lionsgate DVD to Blu in a heartbeat.

• Like 7

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Just watched KING BOXER for the first time. I had long had the ancient non-anamorphic Steeplechase Entertainment bootleg DVD of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH, complete with cheesetastic video generated title card, but for some reason I never got round to watching it — just now popped it in to see how bad it looked by comparison, and…well, at least it was widescreen! I’m kinda glad I waited, even though it turns out I had deprived myself of repeat viewings of an excellent film — what a classic this is, love the emphasis on story and character (very sad in spots what with the unrequited love bit and the eventual fate of one character) and the fight choreography is excellent for the period. Very nice direction as well. And Arrow’s restoration looks and sounds just gorgeous, very glad they got to do a new restoration of half the films in the set at least, and this one really shines next to the usual Celestial job of a bit too much DNR, overfiltered muffled audio, frame cuts, etc. I wish they could have done new restorations of all the films!

But, yeah, KING BOXER — a sterling presentation of a stone cold classic, with a wealth of extra features, including a most welcome and informative talk by Tony Rayns on the film and the history behind it, including the rise of Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest and this film being Shaw’s response to The Big Boss, although he curiously doesn’t mention Jimmy Wang Yu’s watershed hand-to-hand film THE CHINESE BOXER for Shaw, which inspired both Bruce and obviously this film. Also loved the Celestial Shaw documentary which happily and most unexpectedly includes behind-the-scenes footage of the late great Lau Kar-Leung directing his 2003 film DRUNKEN MONKEY, which I quite like and think is underrated — I’d upgrade my old Lionsgate DVD to Blu in a heartbeat.

Right on! It's a joy reading the "first time watch" experiences of classics by fellow fans. I feel the same about the film on all counts that you mentioned, and still enjoy it tremendously. How about those numerous, brutal, hard falls?! You can see the floorboards flexing with their impact! Lo's first scene facing some villains in the bar/restaurant after refining his training is a favorite of mine, and I enjoy him in this rare hero role.

I've watched it many times over the years, but my best experience viewing this film was in the theater alongside my son and sister, with director Chung Chang-Hwa in attendance. His Q&A was unforgettable and I will forever be grateful to the Subway Cinema heroes that put this together for the 2012 New York Asian Film Festival. :bigsmile: I was asked to create artwork to honor that year's award recipients including Mr. Chung, Choi Min-Sik and Donnie Yen. When I met him I asked if he would please sign a poster of my art, and he did something extra cool. He was on the stage, and people standing with him unrolled the poster for him to sign. But he was afraid it would get wrinkled with them holding it that way, so he asked them to place it flat on the stage, and this 84 year old man was gracious enough to get down on his hands and knees to sign it for me! I tried to protest, but he smiled and waved my worry away. I'll always remember that moment, and shaking the hand of the man behind BROKEN OATH (my number one Angela Mao-Ying film) and FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH. I refer to it by this title because Mr. Chung surprised the audience when he said that he much prefers this American title over the film's original one! :nodding I've attached a few photos. The one of Mr. Chung and Goran Topalovic holding the art/award was taken by my friend @irongut.

I'll be re-watching KING BOXER via this Shawscope set soon, and the extras sound nice. I'm pretty sure I've already seen the documentary- unless it's a newly produced one- but will happily view it again. I'm an enormous fan of Lau Kar-Leung, so any footage of him in front of or behind the camera is something I treasure.

I agree that DRUNKEN MONKEY is underrated. To me it feels like a return to form of the classic kung fu films of Shaw's Golden Years, and with the added treat of the nostalgia element (like GALLANTS has) with it featuring several veterans alongside the "new kids" Wu Jing and Shannon Yiu King. It's got some killer action! I'd also love to have a Blu-ray of this film.

Director Chung signs a poster print of my art for me. NYAFF 2012 (2).jpg

Director Chung Chang-Hwa accepts my business card. NYAFF 2012.jpg

Director Chung Chang-Hwa receives his award. NYAFF 2012 (9)- photo by Pat Chan.JPG

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Right on! It's a joy reading the "first time watch" experiences of classics by fellow fans. I feel the same about the film on all counts that you mentioned, and still enjoy it tremendously. How about those numerous, brutal, hard falls?! You can see the floorboards flexing with their impact! Lo's first scene facing some villains in the bar/restaurant after refining his training is a favorite of mine, and I enjoy him in this rare hero role.

I've watched it many times over the years, but my best experience viewing this film was in the theater alongside my son and sister, with director Chung Chang-Hwa in attendance. His Q&A was unforgettable and I will forever be grateful to the Subway Cinema heroes that put this together for the 2012 New York Asian Film Festival. :bigsmile: I was asked to create artwork to honor that year's award recipients including Mr. Chung, Choi Min-Sik and Donnie Yen. When I met him I asked if he would please sign a poster of my art, and he did something extra cool. He was on the stage, and people standing with him unrolled the poster for him to sign. But he was afraid it would get wrinkled with them holding it that way, so he asked them to place it flat on the stage, and this 84 year old man was gracious enough to get down on his hands and knees to sign it for me! I tried to protest, but he smiled and waved my worry away. I'll always remember that moment, and shaking the hand of the man behind BROKEN OATH (my number one Angela Mao-Ying film) and FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH. I refer to it by this title because Mr. Chung surprised the audience when he said that he much prefers this American title over the film's original one! :nodding I've attached a few photos. The one of Mr. Chung and Goran Topalovic holding the art/award was taken by my friend @irongut.

I'll be re-watching KING BOXER via this Shawscope set soon, and the extras sound nice. I'm pretty sure I've already seen the documentary- unless it's a newly produced one- but will happily view it again. I'm an enormous fan of Lau Kar-Leung, so any footage of him in front of or behind the camera is something I treasure.

I agree that DRUNKEN MONKEY is underrated. To me it feels like a return to form of the classic kung fu films of Shaw's Golden Years, and with the added treat of the nostalgia element (like GALLANTS has) with it featuring several veterans alongside the "new kids" Wu Jing and Shannon Yiu King. It's got some killer action! I'd also love to have a Blu-ray of this film.

Director Chung signs a poster print of my art for me. NYAFF 2012 (2).jpg

Director Chung Chang-Hwa accepts my business card. NYAFF 2012.jpg

Director Chung Chang-Hwa receives his award. NYAFF 2012 (9)- photo by Pat Chan.JPG

Thank you for your response, and, that’s just an amazing story, Bob! Wow! What a swell guy he is, how gracious can you get??? And, I hope I look that good when I’m 84!!!

The doc is indeed the existing Celestial-produced one, so you’ve probably already seen it, but yeah I’d think it’d definitely be worth a rewatch for ya. Also, I just started watching the film with the commentary by David Desser, who seems very knowledgeable on his subject and does mention The Chinese Boxer, though I must vehemently disagree with him when he says that, judging by his work on that film, Jimmy couldn’t even direct traffic! I thought the direction and camerawork were fantastic, so I’m not sure what film he saw…

And I’m glad we see eye-to-eye on Drunken Monkey, and you said it exactly, it’s a welcome return to Golden Age stylings, a nice breath of fresh air after pop stars and CGI took over in the mid-to-late ‘90s. A more than worthy swan song for the great master. My two other fave Golden Age throwbacks are SHA PO LANG and IP MAN.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 5

• Administrator
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Thank you for your response, and, that’s just an amazing story, Bob! Wow! What a swell guy he is, how gracious can you get??? And, I hope I look that good when I’m 84!!!

The doc is indeed the existing Celestial-produced one, so you’ve probably already seen it, but yeah I’d think it’d definitely be worth a rewatch for ya. Also, I just started watching the film with the commentary by David Desser, who seems very knowledgeable on his subject and does mention The Chinese Boxer, though I must vehemently disagree with him when he says that, judging by his work on that film, Jimmy couldn’t even direct traffic! I thought the direction and camerawork were fantastic, so I’m not sure what film he saw…

And I’m glad we see eye-to-eye on Drunken Monkey, and you said it exactly, it’s a welcome return to Golden Age stylings, a nice breath of fresh air after pop stars and CGI took over in the mid-to-late ‘90s. A more than worthy swan song for the great master. My two other fave Golden Age throwbacks are SHA PO LANG and IP MAN.

Yes, he was wonderful! Here's a clip to see part of Chung Chang Hwa's appearance at the NYAFF 2012 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-sGQtlSpw

Ah, okay. I will absolutely rewatch it. :nerd:

I also disagree with Jimmy Wang Yu being a poor director. I think his directing of films ranged from fair to excellent. Still, I respect Mr. Desser's opinion differing from mine, and will be checking out his audio commentary in the future.

Exactly! At the time DRUNKEN MONKEY was released I had been feeling bummed out by all the lackluster kung fu being released from Hong Kong. This film felt like a cinematic comfort blanket when I needed it most. Chi Kuan-Chun, Gordon Liu, Lau Kar-Wing, and especially Lau Kar-Leung proved they still had it. And despite the action being mostly grounded, real kung fu skills, I must say that the wirework used in the scene where Lau's character goes "mad monkey" and goes tearing up the tree looks damn good!

SPL is a favorite of mine, and I do adore IP MAN as well. Have you seen GALLANTS? There's some groan-inducing comedy, but also some genuinely funny bits, and it brought veteran actors Chen Kuan-Tai, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, Chan Wai-Man, Teddy Robin-Kwan, Siu Yam-Yam, and Lo Meng back into the spotlight. Bruce blows up the screen with the kind of action you don't expect to see being performed by a 62 year old (in 2010), and the directors said that he committed himself to the action to the point that they feared for his life! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Yes, he was wonderful! Here's a clip to see part of Chung Chang Hwa's appearance at the NYAFF 2012 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-sGQtlSpw

I also disagree with Jimmy Wang Yu being a poor director. I think his directing of films ranged from fair to excellent. Still, I respect Mr. Desser's opinion differing from mine, and will be checking out his audio commentary in the future.

Exactly! At the time DRUNKEN MONKEY was released I had been feeling bummed out by all the lackluster kung fu being released from Hong Kong. This film felt like a cinematic comfort blanket when I needed it most. Chi Kuan-Chun, Gordon Liu, Lau Kar-Wing, and especially Lau Kar-Leung proved they still had it. And despite the action being mostly grounded, real kung fu skills, I must say that the wirework used in the scene where Lau's character goes "mad monkey" and goes tearing up the tree looks damn good!

SPL is a favorite of mine, and I do adore IP MAN as well. Have you seen GALLANTS? There's some groan-inducing comedy, but also some genuinely funny bits, and it brought veteran actors Chen Kuan-Tai, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, Chan Wai-Man, Teddy Robin-Kwan, Siu Yam-Yam, and Lo Meng back into the spotlight. Bruce blows up the screen with the kind of action you don't expect to see being performed by a 62 year old (in 2010), and the directors said that he committed himself to the action to the point that they feared for his life! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Haven’t seen GALLANTS but I did just watch the gloriously old-school kitschy trailer — if the film’s half as good as the trailer I’m in!

• Like 4

Lovely set, tied with Cinematic Vengeance for best release of the year. Just really disappointed with the Simon Abrams commentary track on five venoms, when I brought it up to him on twitter he was very passive aggressive about the whole thing. But otherwise near flawless set 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FlipOtaku said:

Lovely set, tied with Cinematic Vengeance for best release of the year. Just really disappointed with the Simon Abrahms commentary track on five venoms, when I brought it up to him on twitter he was very passive aggressive about the whole thing. But otherwise near flawless set 

I’d think he’d be soooooooo embarrassed about getting so many facts wrong. I mean, he’s supposed to be an expert…

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, FlipOtaku said:

Lovely set, tied with Cinematic Vengeance for best release of the year. Just really disappointed with the Simon Abrahms commentary track on five venoms, when I brought it up to him on twitter he was very passive aggressive about the whole thing. But otherwise near flawless set 

Lining up to be new Ric Meyers if he keeps this up. If I was Arrow I would dump his ass fast.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just watched THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG for the first time. Absolutely spectacular kung fu gangster epic, and it is indeed an epic, running two and a quarter hours, but unlike some I don’t feel it’s overlong; I think it earns every frame. Brutal, tragic, operatic, and extraordinarily bloody, with one of the greatest final conflagrations of them all. Chen Kuan-tai is quite believable as the country bumpkin trying to work his way up the food chain to power and influence in the underworld of 1920s Shanghai, and is suitably impressive in the fight scenes. I quite liked the genial Cheng Kang-yeh as his best buddy too. My only minor quibble is that David Chiang as the charming Master Tan doesn’t get nearly enough screen time. What a charismatic fellow. The only other film I’ve seen him in (aside from cameo appearances like in TWIN DRAGONS) is one that I first saw on television in my late teens sometime in the late ‘80s, my beloved LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES. I know, I have so many more Shaws to see…

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Just watched THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG for the first time. Absolutely spectacular kung fu gangster epic, and it is indeed an epic, running two and a quarter hours, but unlike some I don’t feel it’s overlong; I think it earns every frame.

Celestial didn't agree, having cut frames and shots like they were going out of fashion! :coveredlaugh This was probably the longest film in the set, but it didn't feel like it dragged.

My least favourite was 'Five Shaolin Masters' (I didn't dig the choreography, except for Chi Kuan-Chun at the end).

• Like 4

On 12/27/2021 at 1:33 AM, WaverBoy said:

Haven’t seen GALLANTS but I did just watch the gloriously old-school kitschy trailer — if the film’s half as good as the trailer I’m in!

On 12/27/2021 at 12:44 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Well, I need to watch this, then ! Spectrum has a Blu ray release...

• Like 4

I watched The Boxer From Shantung- the Arrow runs 2:14:25, i looked at the IVL afterwards and it runs 2:09:50. That's a lot of frame cuts on the IVL.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

I watched The Boxer From Shantung- the Arrow runs 2:14:25, i looked at the IVL afterwards and it runs 2:09:50. That's a lot of frame cuts on the IVL.

IVLs were typically standards conversions.

• Like 3

Finally had time to watch some movies and examine box more carefully. It`s very ankward(tho looks great), discs are about forced to get scratches eventually unless put them into new cases or torn some paper away from arrow box. I decide what to do later, now need to wait if arrow sends me item they owe me..in case it arrives may keep it sealed and use one I have now as "no need to worry if damaged edition".

Watched 5 shaolin masters not sure if it`s improvement over tvp or not but good enough definitely. Shaolin temple(I am not tech expert just think what I saw) is bit inferior but still very solid. Only Shaw kung fu will watch with dub and no subs. that is first time saw it like half lifetima ago and isn`t it lot fun. Not so much drama here but all star cast and very big brawl in the end. Meanwhile some great training scenes, some brief bits of humor and some of fav shaw actors around. Try to watch some more this week but save most eagerly waited, chinatown kid international version to be last.

Despite quite bad box desing I think this would be release to get because book is excellent rather than wait more practical standard edition for a year or who knows how long..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

The blu ray IVL?

• Like 1

tantao3-son of tantao2
On 12/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, WaverBoy said:

King Boxer's shooting began April 2 in 1971...So it- for sure -is not Shaw's responese to The Big Boss...You are right it is Shaw's response to The Chinese Boxer...

Edited by tantao3-son of tantao2
  • Like 6

• Administrator
16 hours ago, FlipOtaku said:

Could you please post a link to that @FlipOtaku? I'm curious to read his response, but couldn't find anything when I looked.

12 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Just watched THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG for the first time. Absolutely spectacular kung fu gangster epic, and it is indeed an epic, running two and a quarter hours, but unlike some I don’t feel it’s overlong; I think it earns every frame. Brutal, tragic, operatic, and extraordinarily bloody, with one of the greatest final conflagrations of them all. Chen Kuan-tai is quite believable as the country bumpkin trying to work his way up the food chain to power and influence in the underworld of 1920s Shanghai, and is suitably impressive in the fight scenes. I quite liked the genial Cheng Kang-yeh as his best buddy too. My only minor quibble is that David Chiang as the charming Master Tan doesn’t get nearly enough screen time. What a charismatic fellow. The only other film I’ve seen him in (aside from cameo appearances like in TWIN DRAGONS) is one that I first saw on television in my late teens sometime in the late ‘80s, my beloved LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES. I know, I have so many more Shaws to see…

Great to hear that you enjoyed it so much @WaverBoy.

And I've got to say, I'm excited to hear that you have so many great David Chiang films to discover. :nerd: Off the top of my head, I'd highly recommend NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971, soon to be re-released by TVP- The Vengeance Pack in an English-friendly Blu), VENGEANCE! (1970), SEVEN MAN ARMY (1976, on Blu from TVP), and my favorite of his: 1978's SHAOLIN MANTIS. The last one features an involving story, great characters and performances, and IMHO by far the best action Chiang ever performed on screen. He shines bright in this Lau Kar-Leung directed and choreographed (along with Wilson Tong) kung fu classic. This one's coming to Blu from 88 Films in March. :bigsmile:

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Well, I need to watch this, then ! Spectrum has a Blu ray release...

Oh, you lucky lady @ShawAngela! I wish Spectrum were allowed to include English subs on their releases, because I've heard their stuff is great, and I'd be all over a GALLANTS Blu-ray (like a flying guillotine on a head!).

• Like 6

13 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Could you please post a link to that @FlipOtaku? I'm curious to read his response, but couldn't find anything when I looked.

Great to hear that you enjoyed it so much @WaverBoy.

And I've got to say, I'm excited to hear that you have so many great David Chiang films to discover. :nerd: Off the top of my head, I'd highly recommend NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971, soon to be re-released by TVP- The Vengeance Pack in an English-friendly Blu), VENGEANCE! (1970), SEVEN MAN ARMY (1976, on Blu from TVP), and my favorite of his: 1978's SHAOLIN MANTIS. The last one features an involving story, great characters and performances, and IMHO by far the best action Chiang ever performed on screen. He shines bright in this Lau Kar-Leung directed and choreographed (along with Wilson Tong) kung fu classic. This one's coming to Blu from 88 Films in March. :bigsmile:

Oh, you lucky lady @ShawAngela! I wish Spectrum were allowed to include English subs on their releases, because I've heard their stuff is great, and I'd be all over a GALLANTS Blu-ray (like a flying guillotine on a head!).

Here’s a link to the tweet thread: 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
54 minutes ago, FlipOtaku said:

Here’s a link to the tweet thread: 

Lol... what a sensitive little douche. Why can't these guys just own up to their mistakes.... it ain't that hard. Especially when it's pointed out to them in a cordial manner like it is here. 

• Like 5