The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

26 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Evelyne Kraft absolutely mesmerizing (her outfit makes me swoon)

I've never been one much for blondes, but Ms. Kraft has always been one of those special exceptions. Yowzah!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I've never been one much for blondes, but Ms. Kraft has always been one of those special exceptions. Yowzah!!!!!

Well, I'm pretty sure she's not a natural blonde, so... :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are there any real differences between the HD restoration of Shaolin Temple and the SD transfer included aside from the different colored opening credit texts? Just curious because the HD version is shorter and I've only seen it on Dvd.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@KenHashibe and @Drunken Monk I'm excited for you guys! No spoilers- MIGHTY PEKING MAN is gonzo popcorn fun! I find star Evelyne Kraft absolutely mesmerizing (her outfit makes me swoon), and it's a trip seeing Danny Lee playing it completely straight in this outrageous movie.

THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is a little too long, and it does feel dated a bit, but still a pretty cool "bumpkin meets gangsters" story with a great climax. BTW, this film was later remade by SB in 1997 as HERO starring Kaneshiro Takashi, Yuen Biao (in a return to form), Yuen Wah, Yuen Tak, and Corey Yuen who also directed it. This later version is really violent, features some terrific action sequences, and is coming soon from 88 Films... Look out 2022!

CHINATOWN KID is unique in it's (at the time) modern-day setting utilizing many of the Venoms guys, and is one of my favorite Fu Sheng films.

Hope you guys enjoy these. :bigsmile:

Thank you for the quick reviews @KUNG FU BOB! I know Mighty Peking Man is also one of Tarantino's favorites. I've always been meaning to see it. I held off on seeing Chinatown Kid because I always heard the longer cut was the preferred version, and I wanted to wait until I could see it. I'm stoked that it's finally available. My box should be arriving in the next few days.

I also loved Hero! I've seen it more times than Boxer From Shantung. It's a wild ride with stunningly over-the-top fights by Corey Yuen. I probably like both equally. Boxer From Shantung is such a classic SB film with an amazing finale, and Hero is a fun update. Will likely buy the Hero Blu-ray when it comes out.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Are there any real differences between the HD restoration of Shaolin Temple and the SD transfer included aside from the different colored opening credit texts? Just curious because the HD version is shorter and I've only seen it on Dvd.

I haven’t watched it yet, but I’m guessing Celestial transferred the film twice:

The SD version doesn’t contain frame cuts (or as many).

The HD ones tend to have better image quality and more information at the sides.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

As long it get's the 4K remastering. That's all it matters.  I hope @KUNG FU BOB does his artwork on the cover.

Amen to that! 

On 12/20/2021 at 6:19 PM, LiuYiLong said:

My Young Auntie is also 100% confirmed, it's mentioned in the book in volume 1 that it will be present in Volume 2.

The Chor Yuen title ( exact title still unknown) along with another standalone Shaw's release have both been confirmed on Twitter by James Flower from Arrow and James White (also from Arrow), does also seem to suggest that 36th Chamber will be included on Volume 2 on a recent podcast interview, albeit ratehr cryptically, some folks seem to have decided that would also include Return to the 36th chamber as well, but I've heard so many conflicting rumours about it over the past year,

I'm taking all 36th chamber info with a pinch of salt.

That's interesting and good to know! For the record, I presumed 36th Chamber would get a separate release because it had its own teaser post card nearly a year ago (I forget which release it was included in, I'll have to dig around and find it).  Seeing as no other film in Vol. 1 had cards, I figure it was indicative of solo release verse collection. Regardless of what happens, I'm just happy these films are finally getting the treatment they deserve.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 12/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, HeavenSword said:

Cool, two of my favorite venom films plus a new one ( Magnificent Ruffians ).  I had a fear Two Champions Of Shaolin would be one chosen. 

Boring, bring some Chu Yuan in volume 2

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mantid said:

Boring, bring some Chu Yuan in volume 2

Oh trust me I’ve been the main one saying there needs to be some Chor Yuan . I’d like to see The Magic Blade and Clans Of Intrigue ! 

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Oh trust me I’ve been the main one saying there needs to be some Chor Yuan . I’d like to see The Magic Blade and Clans Of Intrigue ! 

I don’t understand how it’s possible that after this new rediscovery of the Shaw Brothers catalog we still don’t have any Chu Yuan blu ray

I hope 88 films will release a few in 2022

• Like 2

There's been a couple of HK releases of Chor Yuan movies on blu ray-Chinese Courtesan and Death Duel.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Geez how many times are 36 Chamber Of Shaolin and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter gonna be released…hate to complain but it’s like triple dipping now.  Already have the 88 films blu ray so think I’ll skip this one. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Geez how many times are 36 Chamber Of Shaolin and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter gonna be released…hate to complain but it’s like triple dipping now.  Already have the 88 films blu ray so think I’ll skip this one. 

They could be new restorations though. I'm all for new restorations considering the ones I've seen on the Vol 1 set look amazing. Even if they're not, a lot of what they're putting out doesn't have Region A releases.

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 12/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, KenHashibe said:

Thank you for the quick reviews @KUNG FU BOB! I know Mighty Peking Man is also one of Tarantino's favorites. I've always been meaning to see it. I held off on seeing Chinatown Kid because I always heard the longer cut was the preferred version, and I wanted to wait until I could see it. I'm stoked that it's finally available. My box should be arriving in the next few days.

I also loved Hero! I've seen it more times than Boxer From Shantung. It's a wild ride with stunningly over-the-top fights by Corey Yuen. I probably like both equally. Boxer From Shantung is such a classic SB film with an amazing finale, and Hero is a fun update. Will likely buy the Hero Blu-ray when it comes out.

You're very welcome @KenHashibe.

I'm sure I'll enjoy reading your thoughts on these after you see them.

You'll be glad you waited until this release to watch CHINATOWN KID so that you can see it the best way possible.

Yes, HERO (1997) is one of the less celebrated films by Corey Yuen that enjoy a lot. The first time I saw it was via a heavily edited DVD, so much so that you literally couldn't tell what happened during the climax! Seeing a later, uncut DVD of it was a revelation, even though the print quality wasn't the best. I'm excited about 88 Films working their magic on this deserving title.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2021 at 2:36 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Assuming the Chor Yuen title is from 1978 onwards, I really can't figure out which one it will be - none of the titles on his filmography stand out from this period.

Most likely will be Convict Killer, seems like arrow hates wuxia…

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mantid said:

Most likely will be Convict Killer, seems like arrow hates wuxia…

If they hate Wuxia, then why are they putting out Come Drink With Me? That's totally a Wuxia film.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is a little too long,

I agree to that. While movie is almost masterpiece if snipped sth like 4-5 mins from end it would be better. It really feels like forever and some more Ma Yung Chen chases his enemies when technically dead already. I think all of us love extreme heroism but it`s not good when overdone. Jimmy Wang Yu movies at Shaws or shaolin epics did not fall to this pitfall. Unrelalistic but did not appeal corny,

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 5:50 AM, saltysam said:

There's been a couple of HK releases of Chor Yuan movies on blu ray-Chinese Courtesan and Death Duel.

Don't forget The Web of Death. I think that might've been one of the first to hit blu ray from Well Go over a decade ago. Heroes Shed No Tears & Killer Clans have had  German blu ray releases but only Heroes Shed No Tears is English friendly.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm just happy that Human Lanterns is finally getting a decent release.

Do you mean/think that the German Blu ray Isn't decent enough ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Do you mean/think that the German Blu ray Isn't decent enough ?

I think it does not have eng subs. Artwork on 88 forthcoming release looks stellar tho...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

I think it does not have eng subs. Artwork on 88 forthcoming release looks stellar tho...

Ah, yes, you are right, no English subtitles, I had forgotten that !

• Like 4