The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

12 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I hope 36th Chamber of Shaolin is part of Vol 2???

Chances are, it'll get its own separate release. I just hope it'll be on 4K!

• Like 5

I eagerly waiting for mine to arrive, however I just watched an unboxing video on YouTube to see this monster of a box IRL. And I have some problems with it (Sorry to be negative but packaging and lay out is IMPORTANT to me)

1. The size of the actual package. 

OK, I don't mind that the box set itself is big, but why in gods name can't they put double discs in regular amaray cases? Or singles in slim cases? What is this? A childrens picture book?  The yellow pages? 

2. The Disc Cases 

Thanks Arrow. This is a piss in the face for anyone with disc OCD. Fingerprints and scratches will be totally unavoidable. 

3. The Artwork 

I do like new artwork for old films, but maybe as a slipcase, a poster or as a reversible option but when you release a Shaw Brothers Box, I want ORIGINAL S.B POSTER ARTWORK displayed for each films.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, dshooker said:

Chances are, it'll get its own separate release. I just hope it'll be on 4K!

As long it get's the 4K remastering. That's all it matters.  I hope @KUNG FU BOB does his artwork on the cover.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

While I love the artwork for the new release of Come Drink With Me, I instead went with the Original Poster exclusive version as I love the heck out of that poster. Most anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge King Hu fan, and this will be a fantastic upgrade. I'm thinking Monday I should get my Shawscope set as its less than an hour away as of today, and of course no deliveries on Sunday.

• Like 6

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I received mine today. A thing of beauty! I can’t wait to delve in as I think there are at least three films in this set I haven’t seen.

Nice. Enjoy!

Which films will be first time watches for you @Drunken Monk?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mighty Peking ManThe Boxer from Shantung and and The Chinatown Kid.

Boxer From Shantung has one of the greatest finales of all time. Haven’t seen Mighty Peking Man or Chinatown kid.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

It’s announced that The 36th Chamber of Shaolin will be on volume 2.

So far we have:

36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Invincible Shaolin (1978)
Magnificent Ruffians (1979)
Kid with the Golden Arm (1979)
10 Tigers of Kwangtung (1979)

Correct?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

So far we have:

36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Invincible Shaolin (1978)
Magnificent Ruffians (1979)
Kid with the Golden Arm (1979)
10 Tigers of Kwangtung (1979)

Correct?

Take this with a punch of aalt but I know someone who has a source that says Return to the 36th Chamber, My Young Auntie and an undisclosed Chor Yuen film will be on there too.

This is definitely not set in stone though and may just be rumors.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, lilmanjs said:

While I love the artwork for the new release of Come Drink With Me, I instead went with the Original Poster exclusive version as I love the heck out of that poster. Most anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge King Hu fan, and this will be a fantastic upgrade. I'm thinking Monday I should get my Shawscope set as its less than an hour away as of today, and of course no deliveries on Sunday.

Do you mean that Come drink with me is already on sale ?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Do you mean that Come drink with me is already on sale ?

Yes, all of the March 2022 titles announced are up for pre-order. If you look on facebook they have a separate post for every title announced with links to pre-order.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Yes, all of the March 2022 titles announced are up for pre-order. If you look on facebook they have a separate post for every title announced with links to pre-order.

THAAAANK YOUUU !!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

But I won't be able to preorder, at least from them directly, since they only ship to USa and UK, if I understood well...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, ShawAngela said:

But I won't be able to preorder, at least from them directly, since they only ship to USa and UK, if I understood well...

The USA Arrow release of Come Drink With Me is highly likely to be Region A locked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Take this with a punch of aalt but I know someone who has a source that says Return to the 36th Chamber, My Young Auntie and an undisclosed Chor Yuen film will be on there too.

I’d have no problem with My Young Auntie being left off … but fingers crossed we get some Chor Yuen on there. I think his movies would look amazing ! 

• Like 3

Shaolin Patriot
On 12/17/2021 at 4:04 AM, nahnahnah said:

Here are the upcoming titles that are going to be a part of the Shawscope Vol. 2 set:

L7XTYhLQsFJbTqit52hZG-uLwRInFFPsTY3SkBOP

I'd love to see an uncut Ten Tigers for Vol. 2.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

My Young Auntie is also 100% confirmed, it's mentioned in the book in volume 1 that it will be present in Volume 2.

The Chor Yuen title ( exact title still unknown) along with another standalone Shaw's release have both been confirmed on Twitter by James Flower from Arrow and James White (also from Arrow), does also seem to suggest that 36th Chamber will be included on Volume 2 on a recent podcast interview, albeit ratehr cryptically, some folks seem to have decided that would also include Return to the 36th chamber as well, but I've heard so many conflicting rumours about it over the past year,

I'm taking all 36th chamber info with a pinch of salt.

• Like 4

I'm impressed that so many of the films were restored for this box set. I like how the box itself follows the Shaw Logos really well. They weren't flashy with their logo sequence, and its nice to see the Chinese text on the back. This is gonna be a fun time this week watching as many as I can during my days off.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

Assuming the Chor Yuen title is from 1978 onwards, I really can't figure out which one it will be - none of the titles on his filmography stand out from this period.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Regarding the booklet, I wonder what the story is behind the large 80s-era photo of Run Run Shaw surrounded by a huge horde of his actors, all grinning wildly...except Wong Yue at the bottom, looking thoroughly miserable!

• Like 3

On 12/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, Django said:

I eagerly waiting for mine to arrive, however I just watched an unboxing video on YouTube to see this monster of a box IRL. And I have some problems with it (Sorry to be negative but packaging and lay out is IMPORTANT to me)

1. The size of the actual package. 

OK, I don't mind that the box set itself is big, but why in gods name can't they put double discs in regular amaray cases? Or singles in slim cases? What is this? A childrens picture book?  The yellow pages? 

2. The Disc Cases 

Thanks Arrow. This is a piss in the face for anyone with disc OCD. Fingerprints and scratches will be totally unavoidable. 

3. The Artwork 

I do like new artwork for old films, but maybe as a slipcase, a poster or as a reversible option but when you release a Shaw Brothers Box, I want ORIGINAL S.B POSTER ARTWORK displayed for each films.

Would be really cool if someone can make some custom covers for these discs that way we can put them in single cases just need someone who knows what they are doing lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Apparently, at 33 minutes into this podcast…

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-19-interview-with-james-white-arrow-video/id1544438366?i=1000531143281

I was hoping it and the two sequels would be part of it's own trilogy set.

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 12/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

As long it get's the 4K remastering. That's all it matters.  I hope @KUNG FU BOB does his artwork on the cover.

@ZenkaigerBat I appreciate your enthusiasm/endorsement. However, I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN being included on Shawscope Vol. 2, nor whether or not I have any artistic involvement with that release, nor any role I may or may not have played in training ninjas to hypnotize major distributors into licensing more Hong Kong films for physical releases. :angel:

On 12/18/2021 at 10:56 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Mighty Peking ManThe Boxer from Shantung and and The Chinatown Kid.

Aha.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:13 AM, KenHashibe said:

Boxer From Shantung has one of the greatest finales of all time. Haven’t seen Mighty Peking Man or Chinatown kid.

@KenHashibe and @Drunken Monk I'm excited for you guys! No spoilers- MIGHTY PEKING MAN is gonzo popcorn fun! I find star Evelyne Kraft absolutely mesmerizing (her outfit makes me swoon), and it's a trip seeing Danny Lee playing it completely straight in this outrageous movie.

THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is a little too long, and it does feel dated a bit, but still a pretty cool "bumpkin meets gangsters" story with a great climax. BTW, this film was later remade by SB in 1997 as HERO starring Kaneshiro Takashi, Yuen Biao (in a return to form), Yuen Wah, Yuen Tak, and Corey Yuen who also directed it. This later version is really violent, features some terrific action sequences, and is coming soon from 88 Films... Look out 2022!

CHINATOWN KID is unique in it's (at the time) modern-day setting utilizing many of the Venoms guys, and is one of my favorite Fu Sheng films.

Hope you guys enjoy these. :bigsmile:

On 12/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Apparently, at 33 minutes into this podcast…

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-19-interview-with-james-white-arrow-video/id1544438366?i=1000531143281

Good news! Though I'd have thought the 36TH CHAMBER trilogy would've received its own boxed set like how IVL/Celestial released them on Blu-ray. Doesn't matter though; I'll be ordering it day one. :nerd:

• Like 6