Warrior King (tyg) Premier Asia UK

Guest David G Rees

Guest David G Rees

Finally had a look at the forthcoming UK release of Tom Yum Goong, aka Warrior King, aka The Protector!!

Firstly the disc is excellent quality, anamorphic widescreen, uncut and original language, no awful English dub on this disc.

The 2nd release to have English subtitles, the other is the hard to get Korean release.

The extra's are all on disc 2 and there are some goodies on there.

There is an Interview gallery with Tony Jaa, Petchtai Wongkamlao, Bongkoj Khongmalai, director Prachya Pinkaew, stunt co-ordinator Panna Rittikra. All are long and interesting talking in detail about the film and why they are keen to promote Thai culture on all there movies.

Revolution Uprising': pre-production action. This is great. Shot on videotape this shows the fight scenes being practised with stuntmen in a warehouse and show some amazing stuff that was not used in the final film shoot.

Making The Warrior': interviews with cast and crew. More interviews on set with the cast including Johnny Nguyen and Nathan Jones.

On the press trail with Tony Jaa. Footage of Tony Jaa and team on the promotional tour for Ong Bak, a little repetitive but worth a watch.

Overall a great disc, uncut proper subtitles and good extras.

My thoughts on the film after watching it again? A must have for any fan reading this forum, slightly overlong, its a shame that the good scenes set early in Thailand were spoilt as soon as the production switched to Australia with poor acting and worse dialogue.

The action scenes are brilliant, my only gripe is they are a bit too long, sometimes less is more, if you know what i mean.

Is the disc worth buying....most definately!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man
Firstly the disc is excellent quality, anamorphic widescreen, uncut and original language, no awful English dub on this disc.

That's such a funny sentence when it's put into consideration how on your lil' reviews you complain that the original "classic" English dubs aren't there on HKL and those dubs are god awful. :)

By the way, the only reason there's no English dub on this is because HKL isn't spending that much money on their discs nowadays. Back when Brian White was there, he would commission English dubs to be produced by some British company. Granted, the dubs were not good, but it's still interesting to see how much less money is being put into the releases now that he has gone and sold out to Harvey Weinstein.

Btw David, can you give the running times for the features you listed? I am wondering if they put at all the making of doc that was on the Korean disc that everyone was saying was great.

There's a video on Youtube that shows a longer version of the bonebreaking screne (called 70 against 1 or something) that I've not seen on any dvd release.

Any chance this is on the new UK dvd ?

Guest David G Rees

I wa comparing the dub to the one on the HKL disc of Ong Bak which we all agree was awful.

Will check out the you tube scene and try and get the running times of the extras

Guest Kwok Choi

I get your point The Running Man which I was aware of previously but what I wanted to know is whether the American and British Theatrical releases were trimmed.If so were the cuts significant or it really doesn't matter because so far there is a 100,105 and 110 mins version of TYG on dvd.If the Premier Asia version is uncut,is it any different from anything we know so far ie is it the definitive cut?

Guest The Running Man

Well, again...he wrote "uncut" so that means that the Premier Asia release is the full Thai version.

The French release is the international version of the film which is approx. 15 minutes shorter than the full Thai version. There is also a new musical score in this version.

The US release from Harvey Weinstein's Dragon Dynasty company is the international version with an additional 10 minutes of cuts. On top of that the musical score has mostly new music by rapper the RZA with, I believe, some music from the international version.

Guest gfanikf

So was the additional new orchestral music in the film done by the French and not DD? I must say I happened to enjoy some of the new action music.

Guest The Running Man

I like how Tarantino's name rivals the size of the name of the label and movie (not that either of those names are exactly good). |I

A preview of things to come when they start putting out the Shaw Brother titles.

Guest Chen Zhen

i dont care if they change the name of the movies to "Quentin Tarantino".

as long as the dvds themselves are good quality, im sold.

Guest VenomsFan

Does this version have the flying elbow stike on the bridge? It is seen in trailers, but has been cut out of all the DVD releases to date.

Guest VenomsFan

He is in the air it is a wideshot with 2 people at street level. Looks like he has the jumping ability Bruce Lee had. I think of the 8 feet in the air in scenes like WOTD and Marlowe.

Anyways there is an obvious jump cut which switches right to him running up to the girl.

Guest tigerstyles

of all the cuts and snips seen in this film no one ever mentions the scenes of Capero fighte going upto Big Giant after losing his fight and asking for Giants help. just before Giant attacks Jaa,... int he church of water..

this is seen in the Korean Special features dvd

Guest The Running Man

I don't think it's a matter of it being "cut out" just simply that probably was not intended to be in the film. Just cause something is in a trailer doesn't mean it HAS to be in the film. Heck, sometimes they film stuff just for it to be used in a trailer.

Guest bertie wooster2

The director said he removed about 6mins of action after some test screenings, but that he intends to release a special version of the movie incorporating those scenes for the action fans. I'm waiting for that edition!

You can actually see the longer cut of the bone-breaking scene on youtube, and I think it definitely flows better.

Guest The Running Man

Longer cut of the breaking scene?

Far as I know only the Weinstein cut actually shortened it. Surely what's on youtube is sourced from the uncut Thai version.

The difference in the bone breaking scene between the uncut Thai version and the HK version is about 10 seonds. It really doesnt make much difference. The UK Warrior King dvd is uncut aswell.

I can definitely see an 'Ultimate' edition coming. Good way to eek out more money from the fans.

Archived