The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

Killer Meteor
47 minutes ago, Knetan said:

The Criterion Channel streaming version is pretty much black in that shot. The surrounding temple structure reads as black, you see the courtyard. The archive stream was brighter in comparison, more blue/purple.

Good to know, thanks!

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

nyUd7Pj1Vk0VBImJZDMA2nIi0CnySk_large.jpg

Do you guys buy this or wait for a UK release? Is a UK release even likely?

Edited by lastninja

Chemical Lemon

Given how long they’ve been sitting on this one, and the fact there were no UK releases In the meantime.  I’m assuming criterion is releasing this in both regions. Although that is an assumption.

So it is being released on 20th Feb 2024. Fingers crossed for a UK release as well. 

Spec on Criterion website. Not sure if having the 2 films on one 4K UHD is going impact the video quality (French 4K was on 2 separate discs and DolbyVision)

4K digital restorations of The Heroic Trio and Executioners, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks

In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the films and two Blu-rays with the films and special features

Alternate 5.1 surround Cantonese and English-dubbed soundtracks

New interview with actor Anthony Wong

New interview with film critic Samm Deighan (cohost of the podcast Twitch of the Death Nerve)

Trailers

New English subtitle translations

PLUS: An essay by critic Beatrice Loayza

New cover by Alice X. Yang

Edited by BLfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Given how long they’ve been sitting on this one, and the fact there were no UK releases In the meantime.  I’m assuming criterion is releasing this in both regions. Although that is an assumption.

Yeah, someone either here or on the Blu-ray.com forum mentioned that a recent UK screening opened with the Janus Films logo.

• Like 2

Niklaus Vogel

Frank Djeng confirmed on another forum that he redid the English subtitles for these two films, but for whatever reasons didn't do a commentary this time.  A hugely missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BLfan said:

Not sure if having the 2 films on one 4K UHD is going impact the video quality (French 4K was on 2 separate discs and DolbyVision)

New cover by Alice X. Yang

I have exactly the same concerns about loss of quality if both films have to fit on a 4k UHD.

Unfortunately there is obviously no booklet and especially no poster. Look at this beautiful cover. That screams for a poster, damn it.

• Like 1

Regarding The Heroic Trio, @Irongod2112 posted the following at the Blu-ray.com forum

The French release of the first film is actually cut by 30 seconds and doesn't have the original Cantonese mono track. This upcoming release has the original mono and the 30 seconds were added back. In addition, it was also given a new color grade.

• Like 8

Not related to "Heroic Trio" but a general question:

Criterion only ships within the US and to Canada. What is the best way to buy their releases from europe?

11 hours ago, lastninja said:

Criterion only ships within the US and to Canada. What is the best way to buy their releases from europe?

When ordering directly from label is not possible, Diabolik is one to go for. They ship quickly and pack things with extreme care. Other realistic alternative is wowdh, if you wait. their list prices are bit higher but offer free shipping and there are quite often coupons 15% off from instock items Edit:if buy 3 things.

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/heroic-trio-executioners-criterion-4k-uhd-blu-ray-preorder/

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

B&N during the two 50% off sales used to be a good option, but they stopped shipping outside the US in 2019.  Amazon.com does price match this sale, so they are still an option for those outside the US/Can.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lastninja said:

Ebay and Amazon.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:25 PM, Niklaus Vogel said:

Frank Djeng confirmed on another forum that he redid the English subtitles for these two films, but for whatever reasons didn't do a commentary this time.  A hugely missed opportunity. 

The more glaring error for Criterion is this set is not HDR/Dolby Vision unlike the Carlotta 4K UHD French set. Apparently the restorations were orignally done in SDR & as per Criterion policy they just issue the SDR.  But the Criterion comes out ahead with the Canto mono audio and it has 30 seconds of missing footage that is not found on the French disc of Heroic Trio in addition to the cleaned up subs by Frank.

• Like 2

Lam Nai-Choi's The Cat is going to be added to the Criterion Channel next month. Interesting to see if they also picked up the home video and theatrical rights to it, like they did with Riki-Oh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Lam Nai-Choi's The Cat is going to be added to the Criterion Channel next month. Interesting to see if they also picked up the home video and theatrical rights to it, like they did with Riki-Oh.

Definitely would be excited for an official Blu ray release with Frank Djeng commentary. One of my personal faves as some of you can probably guess by now. :BL-OK:

• Like 2

The Cat is much, much better than Story Of Ricky and The Seventh Curse. So am glad it's being made available again.

Don't @ me ;)

In a perfect world, the physical release would have both the Hong Kong and the unique Japanese version included. Didn't know until recently they made two films.

55 minutes ago, Knetan said:

The Cat is much, much better than Story Of Ricky and The Seventh Curse. So am glad it's being made available again.

You have every right to be wrong, but this is just too much :tongueout

• Haha 4

Criterion's been making some real interesting moves recently. Look, I love The Cat, but I never thought I'd see that film with any association with Criterion. :laugh

Killer Meteor
On 11/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, Knetan said:

The Criterion Channel streaming version is pretty much black in that shot. The surrounding temple structure reads as black, you see the courtyard. The archive stream was brighter in comparison, more blue/purple.

I can happily confirm Criterion's blu-ray also fixes this issue!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, nahnahnah said:

This is now up on the Channel. Encouters and Mr. Vampire 1-3 open with the Criterion/Janus logos, while Mr. Vampire 4 does not. Curious if someone else has the rights to that one.

I watched Mr. Vampire IV last night and they added the Criterion and Janus logos.  I assume that their initial absence was a mistake.  Really would make no sense for FS to break up and license the series (or any series) to separate companies.  (I know they did this with Police Story and the Lucky Stars movies in the US, but some of those titles being with Miramax is the reason why that happened.)

Edited by dwk

Yggdrasil
On 12/13/2023 at 7:49 AM, Knetan said:

Don't @ me ;)

In a perfect world, the physical release would have both the Hong Kong and the unique Japanese version included. Didn't know until recently they made two films.

Well with webrips and streaming, who knows. Maybe a company with any sense would release it physically, with commentary.

• Like 1