The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

Yes I did supply the audio tracks. :)

Cool.  Say, has there been any movement on the mystery title that you love that Criterion has?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Yes I did supply the audio tracks. :)

That's good to hear! Are they the same audio tracks that are present on the Eureka release? Do you also know if John Woo was contacted to do an interview?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, nahnahnah said:

That's good to hear! Are they the same audio tracks that are present on the Eureka release? Do you also know if John Woo was contacted to do an interview?

Yes I gave them the exact same tracks. :) No idea about the Woo interview.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, dwk said:

Cool.  Say, has there been any movement on the mystery title that you love that Criterion has?

Unfortunately not yet. Hopefully some time this year. I will say that Eureka has already released this title but I wanted another crack at it. It's probably my favorite HK film. Fingers crossed we can pull off a miracle and find some rare lost footage for it. :)

• Like 7

On 1/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Unfortunately not yet. Hopefully some time this year. I will say that Eureka has already released this title but I wanted another crack at it. It's probably my favorite HK film. Fingers crossed we can pull off a miracle and find some rare lost footage for it. :)

That would be amazing! If it's what I'm thinking then the extended prison scenes and basketball match would be great!

• Like 1

Criterion is releasing Branded to Kill on UHD in May.  As with all their UHDs so far, it has the same special features as the Blu-ray.

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Interviews with director Seijun Suzuki and assistant director Masami Kuzuu
  • Interview with Suzuki from 1997
  • Interview with actor Joe Shishido
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic and historian Tony Rayns

Bit of a surprise that the first Japanese title to get a UHD from Criterion is a Seijun Suzuki film.

• Like 3

Just some harmless speculation but there are rumors going around that Warner Bros will license Pedicab Driver and The Blade to Criterion and will be released next year:

There is also a rumor from the person that revealed Janus/Criterion had the rights to Eastern Condors that Criterion will be doing their own scan of it, though there is a chance that they just reuse the restoration found on the Eureka disc.

Edited by nahnahnah
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

Just some harmless speculation but there are rumors going around that Warner Bros will license Pedicab Driver and The Blade to Criterion and will be released next year:

There is also a rumor from the person that revealed Janus/Criterion had the rights to Eastern Condors that Criterion will be doing their own scan of it, though there is a chance that they just reuse the restoration found on the Eureka disc.

That bloody Hassan and his propagander! 🤣🤣

ironfistedmonk

I would love a blu ray of Pedicab Driver, I don't even have a DVD of this just a VHS but no VHS player :coveredlaugh

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
25 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

I would love a blu ray of Pedicab Driver, I don't even have a DVD of this just a VHS but no VHS player :coveredlaugh

The Pedicab Driver DVD can still be bought from Amazon here, but I'm with you. A Blu Ray would be very nice.

• Like 1

thundered mantis

That would be so great news.

BTW Warners vaults do also contain Tsui Siu Ming's Mirage of Martial Arts and License to Steal don't they? Maybe they will become more flexible to lend their goods go? A pristine License to Steal HD has surfaced anyway on chinese stations but can't find it for the life of me. We need our @NoKUNGFUforYU to make his magic on this one... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Pedicab Driver DVD can still be bought from Amazon here, but I'm with you. A Blu Ray would be very nice.

But highly unlikely. Its stuck in a vault. 

New Michelle Yeoh collection added to the Criterion Channel featuring Yes, Madam! (1985), Royal Warriors (1986), Magnificent Warriors (1987), Police Story 3: Super Cop (1992), The Heroic Trio (1993), Executioners (1993), The Stunt Woman (1996), and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000).

All appear to be the new 4k remasters, except for The Stunt Woman which is standard definition.

• Like 3

I know Criterion is supposed to release Heroic Trio 1 & 2 on blu ray sometime soon (I hope) but man, wish they would release it on 4K UHD like Carlotta Films recently did for their steelbook June release.

Screenshot_2023-05-04 The Heroic Trio + Executioners by Johnnie To.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-04 The Heroic Trio + Executioners by Johnnie To(1).jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

legendarycurry
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

I know Criterion is supposed to release Heroic Trio 1 & 2 on blu ray

Is there any region B bluray for the Heroic Trio duology? I only have the Fortune Star boxed set DVDs which I have owned for a very long time at this point, pretty packaging but they cut snippets of the first film unfortunately.

2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Is there any region B bluray for the Heroic Trio duology? I only have the Fortune Star boxed set DVDs which I have owned for a very long time at this point, pretty packaging but they cut snippets of the first film unfortunately.

Not that I'm aware of if you want English subs. Of course, these aforementioned Carlotta 4K UHDs are also going to be available as standard Region B blu rays as well but French subs only.

19 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Someone on the Blu-ray.com forums said they went to a screening of Heroic Trio in the UK and it opened with the Janus Films logo. So I'd expect Criterion to release them in the UK shortly after they get around to releasing them in the US.

• Like 5

The Criterion Channel will be adding the Once Upon a Time in China series next month. They will also be adding Jackie Chan's Miracles and Stanley Kwan's Love Unto Wastes.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 2:56 PM, nahnahnah said:

They will also be adding Jackie Chan's Miracles and Stanley Kwan's Love Unto Wastes.

Both of these titles open with the Criterion Collection and Janus Films logos, which signifies that they own the home video and theatrical rights. Even though 88 already released Miracles on blu in the U.K, it would be great to see Criterion releasing it on 4K, though it's most likely that they will just sit on the rights just like they have with the other Jackie Chan titles that they have the rights to.

• Like 1

Darth Kermit
16 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Both of these titles open with the Criterion Collection and Janus Films logos, which signifies that they own the home video and theatrical rights. Even though 88 already released Miracles on blu in the U.K, it would be great to see Criterion releasing it on 4K, though it's most likely that they will just sit on the rights just like they have with the other Jackie Chan titles that they have the rights to.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do someday do Love Unto Wastes. They did Rouge, and that is Kwan too right? I firmly believe the Golden Harvest 4K 88 Films has teased is going to be a Miracles 4K. They already upgraded Dragons Forever, and this is the other big Jackie film they own that was restored in 4K. I doubt Criterion would give it a 4K treatment, let alone decent extras and a Djeng commentary.

• Like 1