The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

5 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Is the 50%november a fixed thing or just a rumour or hoping? And which region do they come from criterion?

Yes. There are four 50% off sales every year. Two Criterion one-day flash sales (usually in February and October) [Criterion only ships to US and Canada] and two four-week long sales at Barnes and Noble (July and November) [B&N no longer ship out of the US, but Amazon tends to price match these two sale.]

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Criterion thought the English dubs cheapen the films and I have to say that I agreed so they were left off.

The English dubs for these films are pretty horrible. 

That's fair.

I sometimes watch them with the English dubs for the novelty of it, they're campy and entertaining, but I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t “cheapen” the movie a bit. Criterion doesn’t want a bunch of snobs to watch these movies for the first time in English and then say “Wow, that sucked. What are you doing, Criterion?" instead of watching the movie in its original language.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dwk said:

Yes. There are four 50% off sales every year. Two Criterion one-day flash sales (usually in February and October) [Criterion only ships to US and Canada] and two four-week long sales at Barnes and Noble (July and November) [B&N no longer ship out of the US, but Amazon tends to price match these two sale.]

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, Barnes and Noble doesn't ship anymore to other countries than US ? That's too bad !

• Like 2

And I prefer watching the movies in the original language with subtitles, so, no English dubs doesn't affect me at all, but I would prefer Mandarin to Cantonese...

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, Barnes and Noble doesn't ship anymore to other countries than US ? That's too bad !

Thanks.

I think 2018 was the last time they shipped out of the US/Canada. And last year they stopped shipping to Canada.

• Like 1

ZenkaigerBat
3 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Criterion thought the English dubs cheapen the films and I have to say that I agreed so they were left off.

The English dubs for these films are pretty horrible. 

Any reason why the audio commentaries aren't present in this  blu-ray edition?

• Like 1

Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale has started , so the Once Upon a Time in China set is on sale for $62.49: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-once-upon-a-time-in-china-the-complete-films-bd/36889806

Unfortunately, they still are not shipping outside the US.

For those that would rather use Amazon, I assume that they will get around to matching the sale price eventually.

Edited by dwk
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, Irongod2112 said:

I had the opportunity to fix alot things that we didn't have time for on the Eureka set.

That includes:

Much better Cantonese mono track for the first film. Also includes a new stereo Cantonese track for the first film that is not on the Eureka set that uses the original sound effects.

Fixed both missing effects shots in the first film.

Located the original Cantonese stereo track for Part 3 and fixed missing day for night filter.

Not to mention parts 4 & 5 are included for the first time ever on bluray. 

Btw Once Upon a Time in China & America is included too! :)

I really hope you guys enjoy the set!! :)

I know its probably too late now as the boxset is almost released.. but there are two features that I would LOVE for one day to be released for OUATIC.

1. The original 35mm theatrical English subtitles which many fans love and were released on the MediaAsia VCD and DVD for OUATIC. This was how many fans who first watched OUATIC and fondly remember those subs.
2. The shorter theatrical cut which I personally prefer to the extended versions released on DVD and BluRays etc. I also read that Tsui Hark also prefers the shorter theatrical version of OUATIC.

Edited by Ninja Sinai
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

10 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

I know its probably too late now as the boxset is almost released.. but there are two features that I would LOVE for one day to be released for OUATIC.

1. The original 35mm theatrical English subtitles which many fans love and were released on the MediaAsia VCD and DVD for OUATIC. This was how many fans who first watched OUATIC and fondly remember those subs.
2. The shorter theatrical cut which I think personally prefer to the extended versions released on DVD and BluRays etc.

They're alot of things  i wished they did, but they made their choice on what they wanted on this edition blu-ray. It's ashame  though but hopefully it will be good.

• Like 2

Amazon just notified me that I can expect the OUATIC box set on November 16th. Not long now! Can’t wait to finally watch part 4.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

My copy of the Once Upon A Time In China set has arrived! Criterion restored IV and V according to the booklet. Warner Brothers scanned those 2 and the restoration work was done by Criterion themselves. Very much looking forward to going through the set this weekend.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

My copy of the Once Upon A Time In China set has arrived! Criterion restored IV and V according to the booklet. Warner Brothers scanned those 2 and the restoration work was done by Criterion themselves. Very much looking forward to going through the set this weekend.

I’m tempted just waiting on some positive reviews I’m wandering wether to double dip as I already have the eureka set

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Graysman said:

I’m tempted just waiting on some positive reviews I’m wandering wether to double dip as I already have the eureka set

Its worth it alone for IV and V being included in HD for the first time, plus the awful English Dubs aren't included either, so you get more space for better bitrates on the video. You can clearly tell everyone has put in a ton of work on this set.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Its worth it alone for IV and V being included in HD for the first time, plus the awful English Dubs aren't included either, so you get more space for better bitrates on the video. You can clearly tell everyone has put in a ton of work on this set.

F@%k it I pulled the trigger you convinced me now the wait :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

i've seen all of them but way back in the 90's, what's so great about part 4 again? 

I think in Part IV the action is still top notch but I don't really remember much from the rest of it, I haven't gotten to watching it again. Just finished off Part II and I forgot just how amazing the entire fight inside the British embassy just is.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Not related to Martial Arts films but still within the realm of Asian films, Criterion is to release Ann Hui's 'Boat People' in Feb. 2022:

ZgGiOOksWOICnlrW6vvvKGbjfOLnul_large.jpg

Pre-ordered that when I saw the announcement! To think it took Andy Lau only 2 movies to showcase his talent!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Not related to Martial Arts films but still within the realm of Asian films, Criterion is to release Ann Hui's 'Boat People' in Feb. 2022:

ZgGiOOksWOICnlrW6vvvKGbjfOLnul_large.jpg

Great movie! Definitely worth the purchase. I wonder if there's any chance The Romance of Book and Sword ever gets a similar release?

• Like 3

Just picked up the OUATIC Boxset from the local Barnes and Noble. Looking through the supplements and audio options right now. From what I've seen, Parts 4 and 5 look great. Mostly pristine remasters with some scratches, which I don't mind.

Random notes as I go through the set:

OUATIC - The Cantonese stereo contains the original sound effects. Both mono and stereo sound great. I might prefer the stereo since the sound effects and music are both loud, whereas in the mono, the sound effects are much louder than the music. There are probably more differences that I'm not noticing as someone who's not an audiophile. The new interview with Tsui Hark is excellent.

OUATIC 2 - I prefer the mono. In certain fight scenes, the sound effects sound somewhat muffled in the stereo. The mono sounds nice and clear.

OUATIC 3 - Same thoughts about the mono/stereo for Part 1. There are 20 minutes of deleted scenes and they're all fully restored, which I wasn't expecting. I assume these were scenes from the Taiwanese version(?). I almost wish there was an option to watch the extended cut with all the deleted scenes back in. Some range from quick insert shots to elaborate sequences with tons of extras. 

OUATIC 4 - English trailer included as a supplement, which seems to have been sourced from a VHS. Picture quality is fantastic. Also Vincent Zhao is such a badass in this one!!! This movie is so much fun!

OUATIC 5 - Same notes for Part 4.

OUATIC 6 - 5.1 Surround has added sound effects in certain scenes. I'd say stick with the mono. The extras are great, including a "making of" documentary and VHS footage filmed by Garo Nigoghossian. Watching Sammo Hung direct is super entertaining. Man, I really do not like this movie though.

• Like 11
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy shit! I had no idea this came with parts IV,V and 6? I didn’t even know there was 3 more sequels? I’m guessing Jet Li is not in them?

1130B465-7DFC-418E-B79B-B2C80342B26F.jpeg

41F9902D-6A8B-4BFF-A85A-45F39303D8D9.jpeg

• Like 6