The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

For those that subscribe to the Criterion Channel Comrades: Almost a Love Story and Ngai Choi Lam's The Cat are both leaving on June 30th. Comrades is going back in WB's Golden Harvest jail.

Yggdrasil
9 minutes ago, dwk said:

For those that subscribe to the Criterion Channel Comrades: Almost a Love Story and Ngai Choi Lam's The Cat are both leaving on June 30th. Comrades is going back in WB's Golden Harvest jail.

Hoping one day The Cat will make an appearance on shiny blu.

• Like 1

Knetan

Comrades did at least make it onto a bare bonus Warner blu in Asia.

Yihetuan

Is Eiichi Kudo's Castle of Owls streaming on the Criterion channel or is this just wish fulfillment?

GPRawX6XYAArXcK.jpg

• Like 1

Knetan
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Is Eiichi Kudo's Castle of Owls streaming on the Criterion channel or is this just wish fulfillment?

GPRawX6XYAArXcK.jpg

It is not.

Super Ninja
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

GPRawX6XYAArXcK.jpg

Could this mean a Criterion BR release?! 

No, they have no deal with Toei. 

Tony Stella confirmed on twitter that it is just wishful thinking because he wants someone to release it on Blu-ray,

• Like 1

nahnahnah

Janus is touring the 4K restoration of Seven Samurai, which is starting next month in LA and NYC. Hopefully a 4K disc is on its way later this year.

image.png.01e4366609b9ef8261a1849f74f81780.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

nahnahnah

Supposedly Criterion is acknowledged in the opening credits of the new 4K restoration of Raise the Red Lantern. If this means they have the rights, then hopefully it mewns they got the rights to Johnnie To's The Mission since they both are owned by the same producer.

BigDruDogg

Just a heads up, Criterion is having their annual 50% off sale through Barnes&Noble, I believe Amazon usually matches the prices as well

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
8 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

Just a heads up, Criterion is having their annual 50% off sale through Barnes&Noble, I believe Amazon usually matches the prices as well

Thanks! I've wanted to pick up the 4K of Bound. There's no Barnes & Noble near me anymore so I'm waiting until Amazon price matches.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Thanks! I've wanted to pick up the 4K of Bound. There's no Barnes & Noble near me anymore so I'm waiting until Amazon price matches.

Just order from the B&N website. You don't have to go to their brick and mortar store.

Drunken Monk
18 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Just order from the B&N website. You don't have to go to their brick and mortar store.

I doubt they offer free two-day shipping :wink

This might make me capitalist scum or something but I'll take that bullet.

Yihetuan
3 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I doubt they offer free two-day shipping :wink

This might make me capitalist scum or something but I'll take that bullet.

Point taken. I've never paid for shipping since the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping is $40 but it's definitely not two days. Pretty quick though, usually less than a week.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 08-52-39 Criterion Collection All New Releases.png

Drunken Monk
Just now, Yihetuan said:

Point taken. I've never paid for shipping since the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping is $40 but it's definitely not two days. Pretty quick though, usually less than a week.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 08-52-39 Criterion Collection All New Releases.png

Sold! I'll order from B&N.

Yihetuan

Coming from in October is Masahiro Shinoda's DEMON POND in 4K UHD + blu ray.

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Masahiro Shinoda and actor Tamasaburo Bando, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • New interview with film scholar Dudley Andrew
  • Program on the film’s special effects
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Atkinson

New illustration by Yuko Shimizu

YEklB8Asaa5odZKbP7JMSdaHL9z5IG_large.jpg

• Like 3

Super Ninja

Coming to 4K UHD 10/22 from Criterion 

New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Harmony Korine, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features

New interview with Korine

Conversation from 1997 between Korine and filmmaker Werner Herzog

Projections episode from 2000 featuring Korine in conversation with Split Screen host John Pierson

Trailer

English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

An appreciation by filmmaker Hype Williams

New illustration by Joao Rosa

FB_IMG_1721111848951.jpg.d91430cba2cd24c6aeef6e2d20cc877a.jpg

• Like 1

nahnahnah
Posted (edited)

Why is Radiance included in that? A lot of their releases don't even have that many new (or even old) extras and I doubt they have many releases where they add an extra film in there. Not to mention that none of those labels aren't even paying the people who do special features proper wages (though obviously no one is going to mention that). And this is coming from someone who is buying releases from those labels.

Edited by nahnahnah

On 8/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, nahnahnah said:

...Not to mention that none of those labels aren't even paying the people who do special features proper wages (though obviously no one is going to mention that). And this is coming from someone who is buying releases from those labels.

If any one is interested in this topic, there is a short thread at the Criterion Forum about  it,  The Economics of Extras. Truthfully, it is pretty dire situation, and one reason that I try not to bitch about either the quality or amount of special features from any label (can't say I always am successful.) It helps to be mindful of the actual costs that go into these releases.

• Like 1

A user on the Bluray Forum predicted that a Miracles release would be announced for December and @OldPangYau replied with a picture of a baseball field. I'm going to say that the picture means that they are "in the ballpark", and that it will be announced soon.

• Like 2