The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I purchased the Eureka release of THROW DOWN (I haven't had a chance to check it out yet), and lent it to my son. He really dug it a lot, so he said he'll pick up the Criterion Blu-ray of it, then he can lend me his if it it has different special features. We've done this before, where one of us will get the region one release and the other will get a region 2 (or 3) of the same title so that we can both own the film, but get to see all the various extras.

• Like 9

Once Upon a Time In China 1-5 Boxset.

So as speculated upon by a few here last week, and with some reassuring teasing from the mighty @Irongod2112

Criterion have today confirmed their impending release of the Once Upon a Time in China series.

Details are looking pretty damn good!

The Boxset contains films 1-5 along with a mighty stack of extras..

Check out the full information here:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/5026-once-upon-a-time-in-china-the-complete-films

Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 18.11.01.png

• Like 13

1 minute ago, LiuYiLong said:

So as speculated upon by a few here last week, and with some reassuring teasing from the mighty @Irongod2112

Criterion have today confirmed their impending release of the Once Upon a Time in China series.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/5026-once-upon-a-time-in-china-the-complete-films

You just beat me to it! :laugh

Criterion has just announced that a Once Upon a Time in China boxset, to be released on November 16th, 2021.

For anyone wondering if you should double-dip after getting the Eureka boxset, I'd certainly recommend the Criterion set since it features Parts 4 and 5 from 2k remasters, both of which I really enjoy! Plus tons of incredible special features, including deleted scenes from OUATIC 3, which I didn't know even existed.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

And I guess that, as usual, it's not region free...:devil

I don' t have money vit but à region free Blu ray Player at this moment !

This boxset looks soooooo beautiful that I wonder if I won't still buy it and try to watch the discs on my computer with m'y Leawo Player...if it agrees to work...

• Like 2

Wish I would have held off from buying the Eureka version months ago. Oh well... I'll sell my Eureka to help pay for the Criterion box set.

Also, don't forget Barnes & Nobles 50% off Criterion sale in November.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

Wish I would have held off from buying the Eureka version months ago. Oh well... I'll sell my Eureka to help pay for the Criterion box set.

Just a heads up the Criterion release will not have the English dubs. So if you like them better keep the Eureka release. :)

• Like 4

I had the opportunity to fix alot things that we didn't have time for on the Eureka set.

That includes:

Much better Cantonese mono track for the first film. Also includes a new stereo Cantonese track for the first film that is not on the Eureka set that uses the original sound effects.

Fixed both missing effects shots in the first film.

Located the original Cantonese stereo track for Part 3 and fixed missing day for night filter.

Not to mention parts 4 & 5 are included for the first time ever on bluray. 

Btw Once Upon a Time in China & America is included too! :)

I really hope you guys enjoy the set!! :)

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 14
  • Buddha Bless You 2

11 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Just a heads up the Criterion release will not have the English dubs. So if you like them better keep the Eureka release. :)

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason why Criterion didn't include the classic dubs?

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 3

ZenkaigerBat

Ill buy this set, although Ill keep the Eureka set for the Audio Commentary. Alittle disaapointed they didn't put Mike and Arnie's commentary or have Frank Djeng do some for once and Brandon Bentley.  

• Like 2

Hopefully this is a sign that Criterion wants, and WB is willing to let them, have access to more of the Golden Harvest titles that WB owns.

• Like 3

Not sure about this one, am happy with the Eureka set. Will have to see, i'm trying to cut down on my physical media buys so could do without the double dipping. 4 & 5 included though...

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

The OUATIC set is now up for pre-order on Amazon. It’s $120, but they’ll undoubtedly lower the price to $100 to match Criterion’s site.

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The OUATIC set is now up for pre-order on Amazon. It’s $120, but they’ll undoubtedly lower the price to $100 to match Criterion’s site.

🤞

🤞

🤞

Hopefully.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
Just now, ZenkaigerBat said:

🤞

🤞

🤞

Hopefully.

The Criterion 50% off sale in November is a much better option but I forget about it every year so it’s a case of better safe than sorry for me.

• Like 3

Very excited about this, but why are they not saying Once Upon A Time In China and America is part of the series and is just a bonus feature? It confuses me unless its never been an official part of the series. Still with my next paycheck, I'm ordering it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

I had the opportunity to fix alot things that we didn't have time for on the Eureka set.

That includes:

Much better Cantonese mono track for the first film. Also includes a new stereo Cantonese track for the first film that is not on the Eureka set that uses the original sound effects.

Located the original Cantonese stereo track for Part 3 and fixed missing day for night filter.

so happy to hear the missing opticals are restored!!!

• Like 4

ZenkaigerBat
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Criterion 50% off sale in November is a much better option but I forget about it every year so it’s a case of better safe than sorry for me.

I agree with you, I much prefer it than to rush on to spend money blindly on it till a better deal comes by. Besides i just pre-ordered the Shawbrothers blu-ray set that tapped me out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

That includes:

I'm going to double dip for this one!

• Like 3

Very much looking forward to this set. Very much indeed. So much Kung Fu to get from now up to Christmas! Three box sets with this, Eurekas Vengeance collection and the Shaw Brothers set! Plus the 88 SB releases (particularly Monkey Kung Fu and Shaolin Mantis) and Duel to the Dea

th! Exciting times! 

I hope the score is booming out at good volume during the finale of part 1 as Eurekas audio was very quiet except for the bloody English track.

I usually watch in Cantonese (except OUATIC & America). What is the correct way to listen to these films? Should part 1 be in Mandarin to hear jet's real voice?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Is that a poster or just a banner for the ad?? It looks great, it would definitely affect my decision.

And the booklet looks like a hardcoverbook like in youngmaster deluxe.

100$ for double dipping next to the other releases leads to overthink. But I dont have parts 4 and 5. But I hate watching whole movies with subtitles i just dont have the abilitiy to do it. Why dont they include english dubs???? 

Is the 50%november a fixed thing or just a rumour or hoping? And which region do they come from criterion?

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
19 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

OMG, I'm so getting that! I still have the UK version from Asian something video with ok transfer quality. If all these films are on criterion channel even better, lol. I love Jet Li fight scenes, they are so smooth and he is as fast as Donnie yen. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Is that a poster or just a banner for the ad?? It looks great, it would definitely affect my decision.

I think that's the reverse side of the interior disc tray section of the boxset laid flat.

They presented the set the same way when they brought out the Bruce lee boxset.

So where you see the Criterion Spine and Text on the long image, that would be the edge of the boxset when all folded up.

if that makes sense ;)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, venom10463 said:

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason why Criterion didn't include the classic dubs?

Criterion thought the English dubs cheapen the films and I have to say that I agreed so they were left off.

The English dubs for these films are pretty horrible. 

• Like 8