Can someone give me info about the jap ver. of Police Story?

Guest OHMSS006

Guest OHMSS006

Can someone give me info about the japanese version of Police Story?

i mean anything?

for example, why wasnt it released outside japan itself?

also, htis was from years ago. what ever happened to it? according to this wonderful review of Police Story:

www.loveandbullets.com/policestory.htm

its been said that its either lost or damaged.

i also like to know, the raraty of this version of the film itself.

i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me answer those and u are totally free to add any/more information about the laserdisc version of this film that i might have missed or that is interesting itself.

thanks very much, i will be looking forward to your delightful helpness.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man

Well, it is very rare since the first and only time that version has officially been released was on the Japanese laser disc that has been out of print for years now. The reason for it being exclusive to Japan was the same version Japan got exclsuive cuts to PS2, Heart of the Dragon, Naked Killer, etc... Japan was a huge market for HK films. Bigger in many ways than HK so they would usually get stuff to feed the fan base there. It also didn't hurt that the Japanese companies had more money to spend on these films for release, whereas Western releases of HK films were generally explotative and cheap.

The chances of that footage being losr or heavily damaged are very slim though. Fortune Star put out the longer version of Police Story 2 on DVD when before it was only an exclusive on the old OOP Japanese laser disc. So the footage that was only on the Japanese laser disc of PS1 still exists. All it takes is for somoen just to pull out the footage, clean it up, and put it on DVD again.

Guest OHMSS006

oh right.

cool thanks for that.

i kinda got it translated with Google:

translate.google.com/tran...safe%3Doff

i know that seems pretty long, ad the translation is ok, but not great.

i still have the feeling that the actual print is missing somewhere, or the japanese studio is jsut sayng such and such of things.

it took HKL almost a year to secure the rights jsut to show the alternate out-takes footage on their DVD. and i bet they didnt even use a great player like the HLD-X9 and send them the footage in wat way i dont know adn probably used a cheap player instead.

luckily i gotten the laserdisc myself, and for the fact its been used, its like soo new! i cant believe the condition it is in.

Guest The Running Man
it took HKL almost a year to secure the rights jsut to show the alternate out-takes footage on their DVD.

It took them a year to "secure" that footage cause no one at the offices at HKL had the laserdisc. :lol

Guest OHMSS006

ahhh yes...

precisely.

so therefore they had to get the japanese to record that only footage on a laserdisc player and send it to them by email. :D

i wonder wat player they used. hmmmm...

Guest OHMSS006

yeaahhh..

(dont know if u were serious or sarcastic :D )

(but) it was something on my mind always, cause the quality of that actual footage differs from the LD to DVD transfer a nice person did for me like a year ago.

i always thought it was due to te bitrate difference as it was recorded on SP mode and not HQ. but then it was to my realization that it may be due to the Comb Filters or different types of laserdisc.

but im not sure. ;)

any thoguhts? :D

Guest OHMSS006

well i was serious.

just today, i was working on ripping the altenate out take sequence form the HKL DVD and do the same thing with my LD to DVD transfer, and post them both here as links for you lot to see the comparision.

problem was, i used the DivX codec and at the highest compression, but it was no good, and 2:55secs was still 109MB, plus there wasnt much of a difference for you lot to point out, it can be only be telled if viewed from a TV as the files were already DVD burn ready.

but supposebly, they did record the fotage themselves and thus resulting the quality in the HKL DVD itself, can it get better than that?

also look wat i have found: cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...%3AIT&rd=1

and here is the info which is not understandable to me:www.leitch.com/custserv/p...enDocument

Guest OHMSS006

anyone?

i guess not then. its cool.

for those who dont know, a minor difference betwen them two, besides the fact the japanese version contains way more stuff in it, the scene where Jackie moonwalks, there is no music played at all, unlike in the HK versions where there was.

also, may i ask, for those who knows alot about transfers, what do you think of the transfer in the laserdisc? was it liek the better transfer than other jacie chan films on LD? was it done well or anything?

Guest The Running Man

Yeah, there are a bunch of different music cues on the Japanese version of Police Story. Same thing with Police Story 2.

As far as the LD transfer of PS1, the Japanese was subpar. There were tons of LD transfers that looked a lot better than that. Police Story 2 and Project A 2 (despite the fact they were cropped) looked beautiful and up until the recent Fortune Star DVDs were the best they ever looked. Yes, they were even better than the HKL discs because the Japanese LDs had far better colors that were true to how the film was supposed to look whereas HKL, typical of them, would just mess the colors to whatever they wanted without really knowing what they were doing.

Guest OHMSS006

ahh i see..subpar...

wat was it sub-par to? to the other LD transfer like Police Story 2 or something?

and would you say it was a decent transfer after all? like a good one?

also, this is just to know something about comb filters. having seen the out-take footage on HKL DVD was of course recorded from an LD player, but not knowing what model or kind. may i ask, if you lot might know if the quality in any way be better wat was seen? or with a better comb filter might do the job or something?

lastly, is there anyone here would like me to rip a scene from the LD version and link it here?

Guest sevenhooks

Sorry 'bout the late pass on this post.

The Japanese LD of Police Story was the first version I ever saw of the film not long after it's release (I wanna saw around '86).

And it was the only verson I had of it for a few years, so when I finaly did see another version (the US home video version), it was only then that I noticed the stark differences.

I also noticed this on the Japanese LD of Dragons Forever (Cyclone Z).

The end credits were completely different.

Lot's of great outtakes that I've never seen anywhere else.

Guest OHMSS006

ohh right.

ok then. thats very interesting to know.

thanks very much for that.

can you help me answer my question about the whole comb filter thing may i ask? :D

please?

Guest The Running Man
I also noticed this on the Japanese LD of Dragons Forever (Cyclone Z).

The end credits were completely different.

Lot's of great outtakes that I've never seen anywhere else.

They were on the Chinese laserdisc.

Guest luckystars

Hi Running Man, are those the same outtakes as seen on the HKL disc?

To Portlykicker. Great link, I've never seen the opening in full.

I really hope these extra scenes are on the Dragon Dynasty disc in their complete form, and English subtitled for the first time ever too :)

Guest The Running Man
Hi Running Man, are those the same outtakes as seen on the HKL disc?

The HKL DVD has a lot more behind the scenes and out-takes, but the ones that were on that prit with the out-takes at the end are included in there somewhere.

I really hope these extra scenes are on the Dragon Dynasty disc in their complete form, and English subtitled for the first time ever too

Do they have the rights to it? When it was aired on Spike TV, it had the Miramax logo.

Guest luckystars

Sorry for a confusing post RM. I was mixing topics. :)

I was hoping DD's Police Story has the Japanese LD scenes' subtitled into English.

Guest OHMSS006

hey everyone!

its been awhile.

as u might know, a new Police Story DVD is coming out by Dragon Dynasty.

i was hoping someone might know any informatio if it might at all have the japanese print as the film itself at all?

Archived