Treasure Hunt (1994)

Guest morgoth

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey,

as all over the map as you've come to expect from Jeff Lau but positive points exists in the mentioned roles for Liu and Kwok (as an exceptionally rude taxi driver) while Chow Yun-fat and Wu Chien-lien have absolutely wonderful chemistry.

Guest moviegyrl

Sans the other genres (action, international intrigue, etc.) this film attempted to incorporate into its story, the romantic portion was truly enchanting! And I loved the "Priestling Grasshopper" character.

Guest morgoth

The kid was great as was Gordon though Kwok was the best. If you have seen Treasure Hunt and 2 Shaolin Kids From Hong Kong looks interesting to you I beg you not to see that movie. Of course if you want to see Master Killer liplock with Lung Fei(I think), then that is the movie for you.

One Armed Boxer

I got through giving this one a long overdue watch for the first time recently, and have been meaning to post on here specifically about the Gordon Liu vs Philip Kwok pole fight, but it seems Morgoth beat me to it by a whole 8 years.:tongue:

On a serious note though, is this the only movie that features a member of the Shaw Brothers Lau Kar Leung team vs Chang Cheh's Venoms Mob squaring off against each other? I'd presume this fact alone would make it a must-see for just about everyone on here.

What's interesting though is that this scene is essentially the only martial arts sequence in the movie, the rest of it would easily belong more in the Hong Kong Cinema forum rather than the Modern Martial Arts one. I'd heard mixed things about this for years, however I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jeff Lau has created a movie which is pretty much the epitome of the Hong Kong 'everything and the kitchen sink' style of film making - there's romance, heroic bloodshed, kung-fu, comedy, melodrama, juvenile comedy, supernatural, mystery, and just about anything else you can think of crammed into the 105 minute run time.

Of course we have Chow Yun Fat anchoring proceedings, made in an era when if he spent 2 hours watching paint dry it would probably be enough to make a movie worth a viewing, and here he does what he does best. Definitely a flick I'd be happy to watch again, this one was a pleasant surprise.

My best friend had one of those cloth posters (I forget what they're called) of this movie in his house. I never did see it, though. I need go watch City War and Flaming Brothers first.

• Administrator

I saw this on VHS way back around 1996-97, and can hardly remember it. I have a vague memory of enjoying it, and recall that my wife's friend (back before she was even my wife) was over visiting. After taking a casual look to see what I was watching, she became mesmerized, standing next to the couch trying to take it all in. Finally I said "Come on, sit down and enjoy it." She hadn't seen a Hong Kong film before and the genre mix/anything goes quality wouldn't let go of her attention. Eventually my wife watched a bit with us too, but then they started talking and I politely said "Hey, if you two aren't into watching this, every single other room in the house is available for talking about work and shoes." :tongue: LOL

I don't even remember Gordon and Phillip having a fight or even being in it! :smile:

Good point about the Chang's guy versus Lau's guy thing One Armed Boxer. Hmmm... I guess Johnny Wang Lung-Wei was directed a lot by both directors, and fought with both director's best guys. So he fits that bill.

I'm not sure if I ever bought TREASURE HUNT on DVD. I'll have to take a look, as it sounds like it's worth revisiting.

On a serious note though, is this the only movie that features a member of the Shaw Brothers Lau Kar Leung team vs Chang Cheh's Venoms Mob squaring off against each other? I'd presume this fact alone would make it a must-see for just about everyone on here.

Gordon Liu has gone against both Lo Meng and Lu Feng in tv series' I believe, but I can't recall a moment where someone from the Venoms mob went against someone from Lau Kar Leung's camp in a movie. Not unless you consider Fu Sheng a member of Pops' team.

I think Pops (or Gordon Liu...or even Kara Hui) traded blows with Sun Chien in LADY IS THE BOSS. Gordon Liu also starred alongside the Venoms in CRAZY SHAOLIN DISCIPLES, although I haven't seen it yet.

Morgoth Bauglir

Kwok and and Gordon Liu fight eachother in 2 Shaolin Kids in Hong Kong.

Does Kara Hui fight Lo Meng in Naughty Boys? I can't remember for sure.

I'd heard mixed things about this for years, however I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely a flick I'd be happy to watch again, this one was a pleasant surprise.

Yes....

I revisited this one two years ago (to keep track of what I watch I put a slip of paper in with the dvd and the date - makes things easier .. anyway). Each time I see this film I like it a little more. Kwok is great as the cabbie. Sure, its not for someone looking for a fu-fest but it has a quality that just makes it enjoyable with repeated viewings.

I don't even remember Gordon and Phillip having a fight of even being in it! :smile:

Thought I had a bigger pic of this Bob.....

gordkwok.jpg

One Armed Boxer
Hmmm... I guess Johnny Wang Lung-Wei was directed a lot by both directors, and fought with both director's best guys. So he fits that bill.

Not unless you consider Fu Sheng a member of Pops' team.

Fair points. Personally I wouldn't consider either Johnny Wang Lung-wei or Fu Sheng as being exclusively part of Pops' team or the Venoms Mob - both worked on a number of movies directed by Lau Kar Leung & Chang Cheh, as well as starring in plenty of other Shaw movies outside of these directors.

I think guys like Gordon Liu, Philip Kwok, Lu Feng, Hsiao Ho, and alike are always connected to either Kar Leung or classed as being a Venom, even though they also did work on other movies as well, as it's what they're most fondly remembered by.

I don't even remember Gordon and Phillip having a fight or even being in it! :smile:

Shame on you, that's like saying "I don't even remember Pops being in Pedicab Driver!"

In the movie Chow plays an American agent who's sent to Mainland China in order to investigate a mysterious treasure. He stays at the Shaolin Temple, of which the abbot is played by Liu, and every time he needs to go somewhere he ends up in the same taxi, driven by an extremely grumpy Philip Kwok. Does that ring any bells?

I'm not sure if I ever bought TREASURE HUNT on DVD. I'll have to take a look, as it sounds like it's worth revisiting.

Definitely worth checking out KFB, I think you'd enjoy it.

• Administrator
Yes....

I revisited this one two years ago (to keep track of what I watch I put a slip of paper in with the dvd and the date - makes things easier .. anyway). Each time I see this film I like it a little more. Kwok is great as the cabbie. Sure, its not for someone looking for a fu-fest but it has a quality that just makes it enjoyable with repeated viewings.

Thought I had a bigger pic of this Bob.....

gordkwok.jpg

Sounds great, and love the photo. Thanks!

Fair points. Personally I wouldn't consider either Johnny Wang Lung-wei or Fu Sheng as being exclusively part of Pops' team or the Venoms Mob - both worked on a number of movies directed by Lau Kar Leung & Chang Cheh, as well as starring in plenty of other Shaw movies outside of these directors.

I think guys like Gordon Liu, Philip Kwok, Lu Feng, Hsiao Ho, and alike are always connected to either Kar Leung or classed as being a Venom, even though they also did work on other movies as well, as it's what they're most fondly remembered by.

I see what you're saying. So... I guess I've got nothing in answer to your initial question then. :crossedlips:

Shame on you, that's like saying "I don't even remember Pops being in Pedicab Driver!"

Oh come on now! :smile: Surely you're pulling my leg. I seriously doubt that's a fair comparison. Pop's stuff in PEDICAB DRIVER is just about as good as Hong Kong cinema can ever be (as far as I'm concerned). Is this scene really comparable to that?! :tongue:

In the movie Chow plays an American agent who's sent to Mainland China in order to investigate a mysterious treasure. He stays at the Shaolin Temple, of which the abbot is played by Liu, and every time he needs to go somewhere he ends up in the same taxi, driven by an extremely grumpy Philip Kwok. Does that ring any bells?

Yes, as I read that it definitely all felt familiar.

Definitely worth checking out KFB, I think you'd enjoy it.

Thanks, I'll see if I can watch it again soon. :nerd:

One Armed Boxer
Oh come on now! :smile: Surely you're pulling my leg. I seriously doubt that's a fair comparison. Pop's stuff in PEDICAB DRIVER is just about as good as Hong Kong cinema can ever be (as far as I'm concerned). Is this scene really comparable to that?! :tongue:

Ok ok, I'll rephrase. That's like saying -

I don't even remember Gordon Liu and Yuen Biao having a fight in 'The Peacock King'.:tongue:

ShaOW!linDude
Ok ok, I'll rephrase. That's like saying -

I don't even remember Gordon Liu and Yuen Biao having a fight in 'The Peacock King'.:tongue:

Hmmm, I don't remember that. Of course to me, that movie is so bad I've tried to forget everything about it.

Morgoth Bauglir

Peacock King is not bad. Try watching the sequel.

Whose dad was in Pedicab Driver?

Timmy Hung's dad and many others.

One Armed Boxer

Disclaimer: Ok, so none of the below relates to 'Treasure Hunt', but it's an interesting discussion so I'll roll with it.:tongue:

"Pops" is a nickname (UK based I believe) for Lau Kar-Leung.

That's interesting, I always thought 'Pops' was American slang for father, so I'd be curious to know if its origin was from the UK. Does anyone know the history behind the nickname?

Peacock King is not bad. Try watching the sequel.

I remember reading that both 'Peacock King' and 'Saga of the Phoenix' were aimed at the Japanese market thanks to Biao having quite a significant fan base there. Hence the inclusion of all the Manga styled monsters and alike, but agreed they're definitely a pair of unique movies in his filmography.

• Administrator
Disclaimer: Ok, so none of the below relates to 'Treasure Hunt', but it's an interesting discussion so I'll roll with it.:tongue:

You're a damn rebel against conformity aren't you? :bigsmile:

That's interesting, I always thought 'Pops' was American slang for father, so I'd be curious to know if its origin was from the UK. Does anyone know the history behind the nickname?

Are you calling me a liar?! :ooh::xd:

Actually, I didn't realize Baron K was just messing with me and totally knew what was going on. Ya got me bro! :wink:

As for that nickname, perhaps I'm wrong about it's origin. But I hadn't ever heard Lau Sifu called that before I heard my UK friends say it. "Pops" is something that I first heard in the early '70s as a reference to a father (though I know it was used way earlier than when I heard it!). My dad called his grandfather "Pop", and he was "Pop Pop" to his great grand-kids. I called my grandfather "Grand Pop". When I asked why Lau Sifu was called that, I was told something like because he's like the patriarch of kung fu cinema. Made sense to me.

I remember reading that both 'Peacock King' and 'Saga of the Phoenix' were aimed at the Japanese market thanks to Biao having quite a significant fan base there. Hence the inclusion of all the Manga styled monsters and alike, but agreed they're definitely a pair of unique movies in his filmography.

The concept- Yuen Biao doing kung fu and fighting supernatural monsters- sound great. But it's execution is just... :sad: It's all over the place. And the special make-up FX are especially poor. :squigglemouth: Shame, as they could've been extremely entertaining films.

Fitting in with CC vs LKL pups battling, there are these. Not in the movies but tv.

jcQIRfJM4bQ

540RPmhPbpU

Not nec. against each other

u2Zn7A70bgE

Archived