How likely is it Bruce Lee was aware of the impact of Fist of Fury (1972) in the West before he died?

Josh Baker

Josh Baker

This topic was inspired by my recent watching the doc 'Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks'  which really hit home to me the extent of the cultural impact of Fist of Fury and to a certain extent the Big Boss, had in the US that was similarly powerful to its equivalent in Asia. It particularly gave ethnic minorities a sense of power and cultural pride analogous to the oppressed, angry young Chinese men that first watched Fist of Fury on its release in 1972. In a way, it seems the line 'We are NOT sick men' and the kicking of that godamn sign changed the world in a way that any American or Chinese politician could only dream of.

He empowered angry and oppressed young men all over the world with Fist of Fury and my question is, how aware do you think Bruce was of the impact he had before his untimely death?

FoF and BB were both released in March 1973 in the U.S.  so he had a window of three months to find out.

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor

A Chinatown screening of FOF was reviewed by the New York Times in late 1972 - https://www.nytimes.com/1972/11/08/archives/the-screen-a-chinese-fist-of-furystark-tale-of-revenge-opens-at.html

This was before it was picked up by National General. Lee apparently was mad at Raymond Chow for selling the films so cheaply to a fly-by-night distributor.

• Like 2

Josh Baker
5 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

A Chinatown screening of FOF was reviewed by the New York Times in late 1972 - https://www.nytimes.com/1972/11/08/archives/the-screen-a-chinese-fist-of-furystark-tale-of-revenge-opens-at.html

This was before it was picked up by National General. Lee apparently was mad at Raymond Chow for selling the films so cheaply to a fly-by-night distributor.

Bruce got mad at Raymond quite frequently so this doesnt surprise me!😂

• Like 2