Where's Officer Tuba

Guest morgoth

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

I liked it. It's a comedy with some action about a bumbling cop played by Sammo who is encouraged by the ghost of a deceased hero cop played by David Chiang to catch the crooks responsible for murdering him. The comedy isn't bad and the endfight with Sammo taking on Hwang Jang Lee who plays one of the villains was pretty good with Hwang dishing out some great kicks though one-sided because Sammo's character has no fighting skill. Jackie Cheung also fights the eye-patch wearing villain from The Victim in the finale as well.

Guest theportlykicker

I thought the finale between Sammo and HJL was really good. IMO HJL moved better in that fight than he ever has! He should have been in more modern HK films.

Guest kungfusamurai

It's not wall to wall fighting, but it does have a great little story and the end fight scene is well done. I'd also recommend Paper Marriage, a similar type of film with not so much fighting, but well worth watching for the finale.

KFS

Guest Chinatown Kid

I'll second that recomendation for Paper Marriage as I really enjoyed it too. It features a kickboxing match midpoint in the movie between Sammo and Billy Chow, and also features a great finale with Sammo taking on Dick Wei and his thugs in a big mall with indoor water slides located in Edmunton, Canada. You also get to see Maggie Chung mudwrestle!

Loved this movie! I found it absolutely hilarious! David Chiang and Sammo had great chemistry. HJL was a big plus and I agree, he looked extremely sharp in the few fights! The fight scenes are great, though it's not action packed, it doesn't matter. I strongly recommend this for the comedy alone.

The thing is, the youtube clip is it. Nothing else. Should also be mentioned that the YT clip was the final, edited as one long fight. It doesn't really go like that.

Save the dough and just watch that clip.

Guest Chinatown Kid

There is also a short fight early to halfway in the movie where David Chiang fights some thugs and HJL. That's the only fights but they are high quality.

Guest hangman96

Theres a scene near the start which makes make cringe look for when the guy does the flying kick thru the car window he obviously times it wrong and the top part of the window frame catches his leg and from what i could tell snaps his leg,take a look

One Armed Boxer

I finally watched this last night, after it's been sitting in my pile of unwatched Joy Sales Legendary Collection DVD's for what feels like forever. Lately I've been on a heavyweight crime & revenge Korean movie kick, so I thought it would be nice to sit back with a lightweight Sammo comedy for a change of pace!

I knew that the movie is primarily a comedy, with action coming a distant second, but regardless of that, I loved every minute of it! Just to touch on the action, it really goes to show how different recent Hong Kong action movies are from back in their 80's heyday, when a movie like this one, which isn't even primarily an action movie, fits in more stunts into it's opening few minutes than any recent effort does into it's whole run time!

In the first couple of minutes, a guy falls from a second storey window, another guy is kicked down a flight of stairs, another guy is thrown out a moving vehicle, there is a truly cringe inducing stunt where a guy does a double footed flying kick head on into the windshield of the previously mentioned moving vehicle, then finally there is an impressive car stunt where it goes flying off the enbankment and into a river! This is just the opening of the movie, we're lucky if we see this kind of stuff in the finale of any recent action movie Hong Kong has prodcued, let along the beginning of a comedy!

The movie works great as a comedy, and it always feels like something special when you see so many HK legends on screen at the same time...in this movie we get Sammo, Yuen Wah, Hwang Jang Lee, David Chiang, Chang Yi, Joey Wong, & Jacky Cheung. Special mention should also go to the hilarious, if barely 2 seconds, cameo from Lam Ching Ying in 'Mr Vampire' mode!

Of course, it would be a lie to say I wasn't looking forward to seeing Sammo versus Hwang Jang Lee. I heard many comments before that they have a 'brief fight' in the movie, perhaps this set my expectations extremely low, because these days when people refer to something as brief in a HK movie it literally seems to translate to a couple of seconds of punches and kicks, edited to hell. That's definitely not the case here, Hwang dishes out the punishment to Sammo for a satisfying amount of time, with Sammo getting a few licks in as well. As it is with what feels like 90% of Hwang Jang Lee's movies, Sammo as the hero concedes that he is pretty much impossible to beat, and he gets the upper hand in what some might consider a ridiculous way (but come on, think about how he was beaten in 'Ninja in the Dragons Den'!). But being that this is a comedy, I find it entirely forgivable, and as I mentioned before they go at it for a good stretch before any comedy element comes into it.

All in all I'd definitely recommend the movie for anyone that classes themselves as a Sammo fan, as it is with a good amount of his movies, it's not filled with wall to wall fights, nor is it meant to be, but what's there is complete gold, and the rest is a great comedy which has more than a few laugh out loud moments, I'm definitely glad I finally got around to it.

David Rees

Have to agree with the above. Take it as a comedy but enjoy the action because it is first class. Great to see David Chiang having fun too. I picked mine up from Ebay, is the difference that the Joy Sales is anamorphic?

WHERES OFFICER TUBA EBAY

ShaOW!linDude

Good review, OAB.

Been a while since I've watched this. The first time I didn't know what to expect. I liked the comedy in it and Sammo's "Sad Sack" character. The action was great. There's some really good choreography. I didn't like the end fight so much simply because it didn't come off the way I thought it should and that's due to the campy supernatural influences (the only movie I've ever really appreciated that was in "Close Encounters Of The Spooky Kind").

As previously stated though: The rule of thumb for watching this should be that you remember it's a comedy first, the action is a bonus......a big bonus!

Tigerstyles
Have to agree with the above. Take it as a comedy but enjoy the action because it is first class. Great to see David Chiang having fun too. I picked mine up from Ebay, is the difference that the Joy Sales is anamorphic?

WHERES OFFICER TUBA EBAY

I have the Joy Sales and the Universe one and the quality on the Universe one is better picture wise.. the anamorphic Joysales version is like all the others murky looking but Anamorphic

i saw an english dubbed version on youtube a while back .. wouldn't mind that one

Son Of A Gun

The Joy Sales version has an improved subtitle translation aswell, I think. But the subs on the Universe dvd weren't too bad to begin with.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Sammo's best comedy imo. And no, I don't think this is his best film, but in terms of the comedy, def the funniest and most competent, coherent and easily digestable for all.

One Armed Boxer

Good to see this movie is highly regarded by more than just me!

I think perhaps the reason why it took me so long to watch it that, subconsciously as an action fan, when I hear that a movie is 'mostly a comedy with little action', I automatically don't put it on my priority list. I completely overlooked the fact that, as most people have mentioned, it is in fact a very funny comedy, completely absent of any of the more grating elements of Cantonese humor, all of it transfers well.

Another bonus that I didn't mention in my original post is that, as a big fan of action movies in a modern setting, it was a real treat to see Hwang Jang Lee in an urban environment! & his kicks truly looked fierce in this movie, had any of them that Sammo managed to dodge in the finale actually made contact, I think they would have taken his head off!

I think the only other movie I've seen him in a modern setting was 1980s 'Challenge of the Tiger', made 5 years earlier. I should check out 'Iron Angels' (which I have!) & 'No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder' (which I don't have) as soon as possible!

sifu iron perm

i bought a vhs boot of this in the early 90's..typical weak subtitles but enjoyed the action.

need an update..thanks for the reminder.

Archived