Missing Scene from Drunken Master

Rubber John

Question

Rubber John

During the final fight of Drunken Master, when Jackie uses the nut cracking move on Hwang Jang Lee's throat, he also attacks his head where a clip is shown of Jackie tearing what looks like a pot or something similar. This is a deleted training scene perhaps.

I have owned the film in multiple formats since the Rank VHS release and have never seen this scene featured in the film or even as an extra. I can't find anything relating to what the scene might be and have always wondered if it still exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

KenHashibe

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

For your question, it seems likely that there was a deleted training sequence, but it’s very unlikely that we may ever see it. Many film studios had little regard for any unused material, and they saw no use in holding onto them. This was very common for Hong Kong movies, including prominent ones like Eastern Condors which has extended scenes that were likely destroyed. And the older the film, the more likely that the unused footage was destroyed or lost unfortunately. I think if this training sequence was ever released, it would have already been discovered and shared at this point.

The only surviving deleted scene from Drunken Master (that I know of) was this, which I believe was featured in an old documentary (I think it was Cinema of Vengeance):

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 3

Rubber John

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I agree with what you say and it's a shame there wasn't wore of an effort to preserve unused footage back then.
If they only knew.

• Like 3