Super Me (2021) - Fantasy Adventure Netflix

laagi

From the trailer one could expect a light hearted and fun movie... Unfortunately it isn't.

A struggling screenwriter discovers his lucrative ability to bring antiques from his dreams into the real world — but his new life soon unravels.

Darren Wang plays this down on his luck screenwriter. With his typical appearance of smirks and smiles. He never struck me as a good actor to be honest. I'll give him that he's charismatic. But whenever he takes an attempt at a serious role, it just feels out of place. He's got this stain of the "funny guy" in pretty much everything I've watched him.

As for the story it's a blend of inception, jumper and sfx of bright. At least that's how it appears to me. Which brings us to the biggest problem of the movie, it clearly doesn't know what it wants to be. Early on when we are faced with the screenwriter they try to make us feel for him in some way. An attempt that fails on every level. It's also worth mentioning how the producers apparently see such a character. He's got glasses (check), a wee bit of dirty clothing (check), loose hair (check) and can only afford street food (check). However his face is sparkling clean and he sports a perfect and ridiculously obvious fake goatee.  Needless to mention how he looks once he's on the upper side.

The treasure hunt by itself is OK to watch with some average sfx. Nothing too great, nothing too shabby. Thrown into this wild mix is a love story which again you never truly care about. Because everything we're presented with is just so superficial. That's my main gripe if they would've focused more on the characters and had a clear directive whether this be a serious, funny or tragic story. I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more.

In the end your left with a movie that's OK for a one time view or to waste some +90 minutes on a rainy day. Chances are you're gonna check out from it while you're still watching.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2