Rob Cohen now to do a digital Bruce Lee!?!

Guest udar55

First, there was that Korean project a few years ago but, since we haven't heard anything since, I'm guessing it dead. Anyway, now Rob Cohen (who did DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY) is planning on doing a new feature with an all digital Bruce Lee that will use lines of dialogue from his old films.

Jeez, this is ridiculous. In a letter to Latino Review, here is what he said of the project.

The big headline is that I am NOT using clips from the film; I am creating an entirely photo-realistic Bruce Lee with new, advanced digital technlogy. Digital Domain who did "XXX" and "Stealth" with me are on it big time. We are in the vfx development stage.

This will be the first digital actor and I am very excited about the challenge.

We do have the rights to Bruce's films but the lines are all I am going to use. The Lee Family is also involved with me and Dreamworks.

I am doing this to further honor Bruce. It was one thing to make "Dragon" but this will be the Man himself, alive for those of us that didn't get enough and the new generations who should know what he was all about.

www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1154

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Oi, Cohen! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Leave Bruce alone, you hack.

I agree with KM about digital actors. Not a good concept at all. Most Hollywood films these days have already been taken over by CGI. Pretty soon all films will be made by geeks on their bedroom PC.

Guest ToothbrushFu

Well if they really are going to do this then hopefully DigitalBruce will get to thump Gollum. And on the next level he'll face hapkido grandmaster Jar Jar Binks... :rolleyes

Guest Chinatown Kid

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit that don't need to happen to me. A digital Bruce is all right for a video game but not a live freaking movie, you might as well be watching a cartoon. :rolleyes

Guest Daisho2004

I had heard of this project a few years ago but I thought it was a dead issue also, as far as a digital Bruce Lee, they did do a digital Guy I believe it was Oliver Reed in Gladiator, he died while they were filming it, and you never even knew that it was a digital double, so I would like to see how it turns out, if its a big budget movie it might be good.

Guest chen lung

Just make sure you get your facts right this time:\ . Next thing you know, he'll be saying Bruce was half Mexican/Portuguese and came from Australia:lol .

Wasn't Brandon a 'digital-double' in 'The Crow'?

Guest MissScarlett01

Wait, wait, wait! :eek I just heard someone talking about this project... OH! I remember! :P

I was sent a link for a interview with Star Trek's Garrett Wang (Yes, MissScarlett is a Trekkie. Sue me.) and, before they talked to him, the interviewers were babbling about what they've been doing lately. One of the guys, named Matt, is apparently an actor and he said he'd been hired to be Bruce Lee.

This is the link to the interview:

Geeks On interview

Guest limubai2000

The original CGI Bruce Lee was a film idea called Dragon Warrior from a Korean company who just finished D-War, the dragon CGI film. There was some test footage of Bruce doing his trademark "waaaahhhh" face on Aint It Cool News a few years back and it looked good for CGI tech of that time, the article is still on the site but the footage has vanished. Last I read the project is dead in the water.

As for the new one, I don't think it will ever happen and if it does it will suck.

Guest Daisho2004

I find this on Kung Fu Cult Cinema today it was posted yesterday:

Source: kaijushakedown

Welcome Back!

In a bizarre and quite possibly upsetting piece of news, it looks as though martial arts hero Bruce Lee is set to return to the screen thanks to the magic of computers. The film in question is to be directed by Rob Cohen, who was also responsible for "Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story" through DreamWorks, and has the full participation and support of the Lee family. Currently going under the title of "Rage and Fury", the plot basically runs along the lines of "The Karate Kid", with cyber-Lee in the role of a ghostly mentor. The sound you can hear is no doubt that of the legend turning in his grave.

Guest ToothbrushFu

Bruce Lee walks into a bar. The barman says to him "OK dude, what you having?"

Bruce says "Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

The barman says "So I guess you want water. I don't serve it in cups or bottles or teapots, you'll have to make do with a glass."

He pours Bruce a glass of water and puts it on the bar. Bruce just stares at the glass of water, making no attempt to pick it up.

"What's wrong?" says the barman. "I thought you wanted water. Has the water become the glass or something? Because it still looks like water to me."

"No." says Bruce. "I want the water. But I can't actually drink it because I'M A CGI CHARACTER!"

Guest Daisho2004

killer meteor, it really does sound like a remake of No Retreat, No Surrender I sure as hell hope not. I thought for sure it would be something really good. Guess I was wrong!!!!

Guest Liu chung liang
Pretty soon all films will be made by geeks on their bedroom PC.

:rollin

it really does sound like a remake of No Retreat, No Surrender

Yeah it does.

What the hell is up with Rob Cohen? One bad Lee flick isn't good enough, ...so now he wants to do a digital Bruised Lee? He must be going broke or some sh!t. 'Oh let's make more money off of Bruce.' Bastard.

Bruce Lee's family must be happy to be living off of his money. :|

Guest limubai2000
Bruce Lee's family must be happy to living off of his money.

From my understanding, and keep in mind I don't follow his legacy closely, the daughter who has now re-founded JKD is one side, then the theme park in HK is one side, and his estate is yet a 3rd. As far as I know Shannon re-founded JKD only and despite her movie roles is not involved in this new project, but that is based on 1 article in Inside Kung Fu. I also don't know what role if any Linda still plays. Maybe some Bruce expert could chime in here and help us all out!

Guest Sifu Socky

This movie sounds like the most appalling, hateworthy concept for a new movie I ever heard in my entire life.

If this is actually released, I'm going to stand outside the cinema for hours, just gobbing on the poster until it's so soggy they have to take it down. >:

Archived