How many big budget MA films are made these days?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Let's say the last 10 years. How many martial arts movies are made nowadays? 

5? 10? 15? 

Whenever I search "Martial arts movies of 2010" and so on on Google the number of films listed decreases with each year. I'm sure Google isn't listening every MA movie but they are listing the main big budget mainstream ones. 

So it got me wondering if in 2020 and 2021 we are now down to single digit films being released per year.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 1

edher_M.A.

Yes, stand alone martial arts movies have been on decline. The martial arts theme projects have moved to TV series. Martial arts have been present in action and superhero movies though.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 5/2/2021 at 3:19 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

So it got me wondering if in 2020 and 2021 we are now down to single digit films being released per year.

I'd say big budget MA films have been in single digit numbers per year since the mid-90's, unless there's been a year where I've missed something?

• Like 3

Every year dozens of new MA movies (wuxia, fantasy, action, etc...) are made and released in China. Korea too release many action movies with lot of emphasis on MA. So many available on YouTube and Avistaz. Must be easily over 100 just since 2020. Many TV series too.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
11 hours ago, bigrogie said:

Every year dozens of new MA movies (wuxia, fantasy, action, etc...) are made and released in China. Korea too release many action movies with lot of emphasis on MA. So many available on YouTube and Avistaz. Must be easily over 100 just since 2020. Many TV series too.

Over 100 movies in just a year and a half?? Are you sure? 

• Like 1

edher_M.A.
8 hours ago, bigrogie said:

Yes my friend, but I thought he was talking about BIG budget movies. Most of those chinese movies are low budget streamming movies and the only ones who are bigger budget are Donnie Yen's or Jackie chan and those doesn't come often nowdays.  When was the last time Jackie Chan made a martial arts movie?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Over 100 movies in just a year and a half?? Are you sure? 

Just check YouTube and Avistaz (requires membership by invitation).

• Like 2