Which countries/regions have produced MA movies so far?

WangYu

Question

So the common ones are China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and the USA. The last couple of decades there have been movies from Indonesia and Thailand (don’t know about the 70s). I personally can’t remember a European MA film unless those Scott Adkins films are British (which they probably are). The French have done some action films with MA in it but a full on MA film I’m not sure about it. The Australians have at least one with “the man from hong kong”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some African country had a very low budget fight film, maybe the same for Brazil, the Philippines, Cambodia, Mexico.

Enlighten me!

• Like 3

South Africa had a few:

The Karate Witch (Nigeria) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mJDYBMPmIk
Invisible Legend 5 (Nigeria) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6FuL92TOc
Invisible Legend 6 (Nigeria) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRylqS2_QkY
The Legend (Nigeria) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvyMs4pEsF0
Jackie and Bruce (Nigeria) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNCPD02tJ2I
Hii Ni Zaidi Ya Ulingo Wa Moto (Malawi) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV5DCyZdskk

• Like 3

This one is from Sweden, Skills, starring parkour champion Marcus Gustafsson and is choreographed by Tim Man

Jade Warrior (Finland)

Fighter (Denmark)  -Kung Fu's answer to Bend It Like Beckham co-starring Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon's Gao Xian.

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden

There's plenty of Filipino MA movies, but none I would recommend. Jade Warrior was from Finland, which didn't have much to offer except super-kicker Tim Man being the lead's stunt double. The Fighter from Denmark featuring acting and action direction fom Gao Xi-An. I believe Ron Smoorenberg did some stuff in The Netherlands. I can't vouch for the quality but there are MA films from unusual places. One that I can recommend is The Rebel from Vietnam, it's not on same level as HK but it's good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

@AlbertV were you reading my mind just now :P

Fighting Fish, the Netherlands' martial arts film with Ron Smoorenburg and Kim Ho-Kim

The Purifiers (Scotland)

Karate Warrior (Italy)

• Like 3

Italy also a number of Spaghetti Westerns with martial arts in them: Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe; Return of Shanghai Joe; Tiger at the River Kwai; 

Spain had a "paella" Western with karate: Robin Hood, Arrows, Beans and Karate; also La sombra del judoka contra el doctor Wong (which had footage from Seven to One in it)

Brazil has: Besouro; Bruce Lee vs. Gay Power; Shaolin do Sertão; Gaiola da Morte

Cambodia: Jailbreak

Malaysia: The Four Dragons

France: Les Fils du Vent; Samourais; Banlieue 13; Banlieue 13: Ultimatum; and however you want to count The Transporter films, Unleashed, and Kiss of the Dragon

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

edher_M.A.

Panamá:

Kimura (2017) I was in this one as an extra lol

Atrápalo Vivo o Muerto aka Catch him Death or Alive (2019) I played a supporting character, help in production, and other things. Its a ultra low budget experiment and we manage to get at least a week in Cinema lol

https://trakt.tv/movies/atrapalo-vivo-o-muerto-2019

prueba-POSTER-OFICIAL-FINAL.jpg

vivo o muerto.jpg

Pelicula cine.jpg

Edited by edher_M.A.
  • Like 3

Puerto Rico's martial arts entry is El Testigo (The Witness)

Nepal has The Man from Kathmandu

• Like 2

ShawAngela
On 5/5/2021 at 10:08 PM, DrNgor said:

Italy also a number of Spaghetti Westerns with martial arts in them: Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe; Return of Shanghai Joe; Tiger at the River Kwai; 

Spain had a "paella" Western with karate: Robin Hood, Arrows, Beans and Karate; also La sombra del judoka contra el doctor Wong (which had footage from Seven to One in it)

Brazil has: Besouro; Bruce Lee vs. Gay Power; Shaolin do Sertão; Gaiola da Morte

Cambodia: Jailbreak

Malaysia: The Four Dragons

France: Les Fils du Vent; Samourais; Banlieue 13; Banlieue 13: Ultimatum; and however you want to count The Transporter films, Unleashed, and Kiss of the Dragon

There is a Return of Shanghaï Joe ?! Is there a legit DVD release ?

The transporter and Unleashed (I don' t remember the French title) are French movies ?!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

There is a Return of Shanghaï Joe ?! Is there a legit DVD release ?

The transporter and Unleashed (I don' t remember the French title) are French movies ?!!

The transporter is definitely French. Luc Besson is the writer and producer, I think they had 2 directors a Frenchman and Corey Yuen. It is also filmed in France

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WangYu said:

a Frenchman

That would be Louis Leterrier. He directed the first two Transporter films and Unleashed before moving to Hollywood and directing that crappy Clash of the Titans remake and the first (and only) Hulk movie in the MCU.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, WangYu said:

So the common ones are China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and the USA. The last couple of decades there have been movies from Indonesia and Thailand (don’t know about the 70s). I personally can’t remember a European MA film unless those Scott Adkins films are British (which they probably are). The French have done some action films with MA in it but a full on MA film I’m not sure about it. The Australians have at least one with “the man from hong kong”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some African country had a very low budget fight film, maybe the same for Brazil, the Philippines, Cambodia, Mexico.

Enlighten me!

Almost every country that makes movies would have made some sort of Kung Fu / Martial Arts flick. It was and still is a popular genre globally. This is the latest I've seen from India : The actress Neeta Pillai is impressive.

The-Kung-Fu-Master.jpg.bbea00e8493bec4fc1063c8b4f5a517a.jpgThe-Kung-Fu-Master.jpg.bbea00e8493bec4fc1063c8b4f5a517a.jpg

Edited by Kwok Choi
  • Like 3

Turkey made some as well and here is some artwork for Fighter a European Co-Production which already has a trailer in this thread

Fighter.jpg

fighter 2.jpg

Fighter 3.jpg

Edited by Kwok Choi
  • Like 3

Majin Android

there seems to be tons of lost Filipino martial arts films from the 60's to the 80's. i only see titles on imdb and some posters on video48. they seem to follow current trends with a lot of karate/samurai flavored ones in the 60's, kung fu flavored ones in the 70's, ninja and kickboxing ones in the 80's, girls with guns type films in the 90's. some seem like genuine action films, some look like comedic spoofs. some are pure filipino productions. some are co-productions with other countries. some of the filipino release versions are edited differently. through out the years films with specific filipino martial arts styles are highlighted. reviews and information on these films are hard to find.

• Like 4

On 4/29/2021 at 5:37 AM, WangYu said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if some African country had a very low budget fight film,

The thread below might of interest to you?.

Here's a trailer for Singapores only Martial Arts movie Ring of Fury (1973).

On 11/2/2021 at 6:39 PM, Majin Android said:

here's a sample of an international martial arts film from the Philippines late 60's

First time I'v heard about this title.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Majin Android said:

tons of stuff like this on the video48 blogspot

Could you share a link for this site please?.

• Like 2

Australia 
The Man from Hong Kong 9starring the late Jimmy Wang Yu; directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith)
Day of the Panther (Edward John Staszak and Jim Richards; directed by BT-S)
Strike of the Panther (Edward John Staszak and Jim Richards; directed by BT-S)
Black Neon  (Edward John Staszak and Jim Richards; directed by JR)
Among Dead Men (Avelino Lescot and Ron Vreeken; directed by Jim Richards)

New Zealand
The Dead Lands (James Rolleston and Lawrence Makaore; directed by Toa Fraser)

Germany
Roots of Evil (co-production with Spain; starring and directed by Christian Anders)
Romantic Fighter  (Christian Oliver and Thure Riefenstein; directed by Rainer Matsutani)
The Challenge (Mathis Landwehr and Volkram Zschieschie; directed by Johannes Jaeger)
The pilot of Codename: Puma (Mickey Hardt and Mike Lambert; directed by Axel de Roche)
Urban Fighter aka Arena of the Street Fighter (starring and directed by Mike Moller)
One Million K(l)icks (Mike Moller; directed by Alex Padrutt and Oliver Juhrs)
Plan B (Can Aydin, Cha-Lee Yoon, and Phong Giang; directed by Michael Popescu and Ufuk Genc)

Canada
On the Ropes (Can Aydin and Phong Giang; directed by James Mark)
Twin Dragon Encounter (Michael and Martin McNamara; directed by Paul Dunlop)
Dragon Hunt (Michael and Martin McNamara; directed by Charlie Wiener)
Kill Order (Chris Mark; directed by James Mark)

Mexico
Garra de Tigre (Tiger Claw) (Rodolfo de Anda and Jorge Luke; directed by Hernando Name)
El Ninja Mexicano  (Leonardo Daniel and Felicia Mercado; directed by Jesus Fragoso Montoya)
Chinango (Marko Zaror and Hugo Stiglitz; directed by Peter van Lengen)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Turkey
The Last Warrior aka Holy Sword (1982) Cuneyt Arkin
Death Warrior (1984) Cuneyt Arkin
Hatchet (1986) Nihat Yigit
Trouble  (1986) Nihat Yigit
Death Shot (1986) Nihat Yigit
Karate Girl (1973) Filiz Akin (known for one of the funniest death scenes ever shot - pun intended...Sean Stone and Alexander Wraith's Fury of the Fist paid homage to the scene)

• Like 3

ShawAngela
On 11/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, DragonClaws said:

Here's a trailer for Singapores only Martial Arts movie Ring of Fury (1973).

Does anyone ever found or watched this movie ? It looks interesting, but what a silly voice presenting the movie !! ::))

• Like 2