How many martial arts films have you seen in your life?

WangYu

If you don’t have an exact number just take a rough guess. Modern fight films by the likes of Michael Jai White or Jean Claude Van Damme count just as much as some mid 70s forgotten gangster basher or a wuxia.

I’d say all together I have seen between 150 and 200 films so that is not too much. These include almost all Chuck Norris, jcvd, Bruce Lee, Scott Adkins, Jackie Chan, Angela Mao, King Hu, Sho Kosugi films. A whole bunch of Jimmy Wang Yu, Sammo Hung, Donnie Yen, Tony Yaa. i have seen all of the true classics ( heroes of the east, 36th chamber, 84 diagram etc etc) and a lot more

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 5

Just for the Shaw Brothers, among my 766 movies (all genre, all formats, including downloads and their Malay movies and also coproductions), I watched 624 movies (all genre, some of them, several times), and among these 624, I watched 371 martial arts movies (I include in these all the action movies, and the ones that aren't specially mentioned as martial arts, but have still a lot of fights during the movie).

To this total must been added all the Golden Harvest and Taiwanese, Korean, Thaï (few) movies I watched, and the series too...

I told you that I was a Crazy Collector...!! :monk_laughing:

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Just for the Shaw Brothers, among my 766 movies (all genre, all formats, including downloads), I watched 624 movies (all genre, some of them, several times), and among these 624, I watched 371 martial arts movies (I include in these all the action movies, and the ones that aren't specially mentioned as martial arts, but have still a lot of fights during the movie).

To this total must been added all the Golden Harvest and Taiwanese, Korean, Thaï (few) movies I watched, and the series too...

I told you that I was a Crazy Collector...!! :monk_laughing:

Talking about lists, is there a list of the Golden Harvest Martial Arts / Action Movies somewhere on this forum ?

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

Can I inspire you ShawAngela to create a thread where you discuss let’s say your top 10 favorite MA films? Since you have seen so many obscure forgotten films it must be very interesting.

I agree it would be interesting to see a list of all GH MA productions, does this mean there is one here for Shaw Brothers films? If yes, where can I find it?

• Like 3

Regarding the Shaws' list, I had found a site a while ago, with the movies listed by genre which were at Celestial, or something like that. I must have the pdf somewhere on my hard discs.

I can't find the site anymore.

I also just found this :

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/gigiriva/complete_list_of_shaw_brothers_martial_arts_movies/1/

And this, but it looks less interesting.

http://www.shawbrothersuniverse.com/shaw-brothers-classic-film-collection/

If I create a thread, it won't be only 10 movies, I had way too many favorite movies !

And I need time to do this, and also, I still haven't gathered the lists of the other studios' movies I watched in order to answer your first post...

I'll see what I can do.

• Like 3

I've seen 715 (give or take 3) films from Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea (old school), and Mainland China.

Probably another 200 or so films spread out between the USA, Japan, Europe, South Korea (modern), SE Asia, etc.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk

This is a very, VERY rough estimate...

I own approximately 450 martial arts movies and I've probably seen 100 or so I don't own. So, 550 to 600?

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Duel to the Death

I'd have no clue how many i have seen. But it's nowhere as many as other members. I'd like to say over 100 at least. 

• Like 2

I have about 3000 Asian films in my collection ranging from drama, martial arts, samurai, yakuza, and new waves stuff. As a kid, I would watch a lot of the 80's ninja and karate films before I seriously started collecting. I can't say for sure how many martial arts films I've seen, but I would estimate around 1500. Now, if you include Japanese and Korean cinema, it would be a little over 3000. However, I don't watch films like I used to in my teens and 20's.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

Hard to say, I've never kept a list of all the Martial Arts productions I've watched. Viewed so many over the years, from U.S Hollywood/Indie productions to Hong Kong Classics and everything in between. When I compare myself to some older fellow fans on the forum, Im still only dipping my toe into the genre. I'm lucky I still have a lot of classics still to see, I was never in a rush to watch everything, never had the budget to. Yet this means I've still got older stuff to look forward to.

10 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

IF you count re-watches....half a million

When I was younger, I'd spend more time re-watching titles than viewing new ones. Now I prefer to see a new movie, over one I've watched a lot.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

I started watching fu at the tender age of 15. I'm 63 now. I gave up counting when I got to 50...still in my teens then!

• Like 4

I don't have any idea. Probably over a hundred if I had to guess. Way lower than a lot of people on here, I'm sure. 

• Like 2