Nobody (2021) - Bob Odenkirk / Derek Kolstad (John Wick)

Drunken Monk

5 hours ago, DarthKato said:

That looks like its going to be incredible! Is this set in the John Wick universe?  

The gold he has matches the gold from John Wick and it’s from the same producers. I wondered the same thing.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The gold he has matches the gold from John Wick and it’s from the same producers. I wondered the same thing.

I hope it is. John Wick is my favorite movie franchise, so getting more in that universe would be great. 

• Like 2

Entertaining action vehicle from the writer of John Wick. Apparently Bob trained over 2 years for this role with Daniel Bernhardt and members of the 87Eleven stunt team. It shows, mad props to them! Most of the action is exciting and bloody. Pretty much what you'd expect. Unfortunately that's about it. There's really no story or any characters of interest. Basically just a guy killing off some mad russians. The last 30 minutes almost feel like John Wick meets Home Alone. Watch it for the action but ultimately the movie will be forgotten right after.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

I watch it last night. Good movie for that, a saturday night with beers and nachos. Nothing exceptionally good or bad, just solid entertainment.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 4/18/2021 at 5:40 AM, laagi said:

Watch it for the action but ultimately the movie will be forgotten right after.

I watched this one recently as well, and pretty much of the same opinion, so much so that I unintentionally paraphrased you in the last paragraph of my review. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/nobody-2021-review-bob-odenkirk-ilya-naishuller-action-movie/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Nobody (2021: Ilya Naishuller)  

Watched in the theater for the fourth theater viewing of the year (I think more than last year already). I was in Footlocker yesterday morning (yeah a surprise, yeah I'm sarcastic) and a customer stated he saw it but it was too violent for his kids. That was a plus in my book (plus he ended up liking it). After small argument about theater (my side) vs. HBO (his side) -- also I'm wondering why I'm arguing with someone I don't know, but it is movies damn it, I decided I was going to see it in the afternoon (I was wavering). 

I have heard good things about it from several tweets and reviews (though I tend to avoid reviews as much as possible until I see the film). I just knew that some action fans liked it. I was worried it was going out of the theater soon so I had to see it. It was showing in one of the smaller theaters at Brenden Theaters, but there was a decent amount of people there to watch it (I changed seats to be even further away from people, since one guy was coughing). 

I liked this movie. I had a lot of fun with it. I liked that the audience (like when I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter; both directors from the former USSR) clapped at the end of it. Going into it almost blind I had no idea what to expect other than some John Wick homages. 

When you start off the film in the present, after all the carnage (hey doesn't John Wick do this), Bob Odenkirk's character calls himself a nobody. This has multiple meanings, but at first you think it is because he has a monotonous job and life, misses the garbage on Tuesdays and has coworkers and a boss that thinks he is a bit of a soft weenie. Heck, his family gets robbed and he does not do much. A cop makes fun of him. The mistake here is that he is so much more than just a weenie. He's a deadly weenie. Actually he's not really a weenie. He like John Wick is just trying to live a life. It gets interrupted, but not in the way you initially think. The robbers who took some money, his watch and possibly his daughters bracelet (this like killing the dog in John Wick is a no-no) sets him off on a quest. What is actually pretty cool is that it is not the quest he is on. You first learn he is a badass in an unpredictable but funny way (there is a good amount of humor in this movie), but then you really learn he is a badass (a bit rusty, though he is a bit of a masochist) when he gets to confront Russian mob connections (and family just like John Wick). There he gets to have a bit of fun and learn more about himself. Of course he almost kills the son of an important, but flashy and bad singer Russian which starts a war. 

The fight scenes are decent-to-good. Definitely fun and sometimes inventive (oh the ending is awesome). I liked his character which is not quite as deadly as John Wick, a bit more human, but still you don't want him with a knife. Heck he is not even in his prime. Throw in several good supporting roles (he that's Christopher Lloyd, definitely old, but still some good scenes) and fun to see RZA. A film that got me hyped up so it was successful. You can certainly see its limitations, but heck it is fun. 

Other John Wick noticeables: nice car, animal (thank goodness nothing happens to the cat, please don't hurt it in the sequel). Probably some Taken references there (obviously Russian gangsters are quite popular to use, did not here "suka" spoken which I tend to hear every Russian gangster say. Even talked to a Russian yesterday about this -- Why is it that every conversation I get ends up about movies? So I'm glad I saw this. I'm sure I'll have more to say on this later. 

• Like 4

From the writer of John Wick, this is a lot of fun. There is a brilliant bus fight and it's fluid camerawork and no shakycam!

I'd actually advise against seeing the trailer and going in knowing as little as possible. Odenkirk makes for a great action hero!

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 3

This was great fun,violent and bloody but but very entertaining ,well worth checking out👍👍👍👍

• Like 4

The Ghost Face Killah

I like Bob Odenkirk and it was entertaining, but it did seem a little too much like John Wick which I consider one of the best pure action (non martial arts) franchises you can watch, so that's tough competition. But overall it was a solid popcorn flick.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Ghost Face Killah said:

I like Bob Odenkirk and it was entertaining, but it did seem a little too much like John Wick which I consider one of the best pure action (non martial arts) franchises you can watch, so that's tough competition. But overall it was a solid popcorn flick.

I personally think that was what they were aiming for,you have elements of John Wick,The Equaliser,Taken and even the A.Team.for me it works because of that but also because it was well done fun and some great violence

• Like 4

The bus fight will surely go down as one of the best action sequences of the year. I need to rewatch actually because my face lit up when I saw among the names of the goons Daniel Bernhardt and Alan Moussi, I'll look out for them next time.

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

The bus fight will surely go down as one if the best action sequences of the year. I need to rewatch actually because my face lit up when I saw among the names of the goons Daniel Bernhardt and Alan Moussi, I'll look out for them next time.

Too bad they already spoiled that fight in the trailer. The impact and wow effect would've been far greater if they had left it out.

• Like 4

I found this much better on a rewatch. I liked the little touches Kolstad adds to the characters, they feel like real people, even the evil Russian, introduced going into a club and having the time of his life dancing and singing. It's a cut above other films of its ilk. Odenkirk is fantastic, the bus fight is exceptional. I really hope we get a sequel to this at some stage.

• Like 4

Watched this again last night, really enjoyable. Doesn't outstay it's welcome at 91 minutes.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

Really enjoyed this movie. What starts as a regular family drama turns into a grim and intense actioner after just 10 min into the story. The shootouts and car chases were all well made but the empty-handed fighting is the icing on the cake, especially the bus fight scene (brutal, visceral, and quite gritty). Surprised to see good old Christopher Lloyd participate in the final action scene, and RZA showing up from nowhere (he looks good in his action moments).

• Like 2