Any love for John Frankenheimer's "the challenge" 1982?

Karlos

whqdOvsF2jY

Steven Seagal served as a technical advisor on this!

Well worth a watch, I think.

It also has the girl from PRAY FOR DEATH (the girl who plays Sho's wife)

• Like 1

According to thedigitalbits.com Kino Lorber has announced it will be releasing a digitally remastered HD blu ray version of The Challenge starring Scott Glenn & Toshiro Mifune soon. They haven't given a date for it yet but I, for one, hope soon means soon! Another nostalgic favorite of mine from the early eighties!

Speaking of which, the recently released blu ray of Chuck Norris' An Eye For An Eye is worth picking up for old school Chuck fans, nice blu ray.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I picked up the German DVD release, and it's terrific. I watched it straight away when it arrived, and I still really admire how realistic the end fight is. It doesn't have that "guy trains for a few months and suddenly can inexplicably beat an expert" bullshit. Scott Glenn is really acting like he's about to soil himself, and doing everything he can to not get sliced by his much more skilled opponent's blade. It's frantic, sloppy, and really adds to the edge-of-your-seat tension in the scene.

It's about dadblamed time. Glad they're using the original title, too.

Agreed! I may... double-dip and get this on BD. :angel:

Not sure I've heard this one referred to by a different title... what is the alternate one?

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Not sure I've heard this one referred to by a different title... what is the alternate one?

I think it was something like "Sword of Destiny" or "Sword of Doom". I believe there are legitimate films by those titles also. It was "Sword of ?" or something along those lines. Whenever I use to search for it years ago, it often came up under the alternate title first. The synopsis and cast was always the same, but I never understood the reason for the title change.

• Like 1

I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it 2 years ago. The film has the Japanese icon Toshito Mifune in it and everything is supposedly choreographed by Steven Seagal.

It's a serious film, no comedy with Scott Glenn doing a very good job as the main actor and Mifune being Mifune. Loved the end battle in the office.

• Like 2

Is it the story in which a young "gwailo" boy learns to use a sabre in order to get revenge for his father's or I don't remember who murder ?

If so, I think that I saw it in a cinema when it was released in France, and i only remember that at a moment, he was half buried on the ground, or am I mistaken ? And there was a blonde woman in the movie, right ?

• Like 2

Well it has been some years for me as well but the movie is about a feud between two brothers and somehow our western hero gets involved. I have to rewatch it sometime myself.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Recently re-watched this one and it still holds up really well. It shares some similarities with The Last Samurai story, but its given a then up-dated 1980's setting. Scott Glenn holds his own, but it's Toshiro Mifune who really steals the show here. Just watched this one for fun, and wasn't going out of my way to really critique/review it.

Well just got through watching this many years after seeing it,I loved it back then and although a bit dated still found it enjoyable,and totally forgot the guy who played Lin Chung in the tv series Water Margin is in it.Well worth a look if you haven’t already seen it.👍👍👍

• Like 2