Sped up kung fu

WangYu

I was watching some youtube videos yesterday and I noticed that so many old school fight scenes are sped up. It suddenly frustrated me while I didn't notice this when I was a kid.  I'm talking about fight scenes of the prodigal son 1981 and most of the Jackie Chan videos I saw. I'm currently rewatching many early 70s kung fu films and it doesn't look like they sped up the fight scenes there. 

I can't say I like it, it feels fake to me.

It's off-putting to me also if done incorrectly, some editors can do it subtly and it's not as noticeable.. some 90s Jet Li movies do it pretty well... I believe companies starting speeding up fights to match Bruce Lee's natural speed, since everyone else looked slow motion compared to him at the time....

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
35 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

I believe companies starting speeding up fights to match Bruce Lee's natural speed, since everyone else looked slow motion compared to him at the time....

Undercranking is an old filmmaking trick predating anything Bruce Lee related both in Hollywood and HK.

• Like 2