A Battle of Wits

Guest Elhcay

A brilliant, unpretentious, earthly, no-nonsense movie that doesn't turn into nonsense, unlike those pseduo wuxia wannabes like House of Flying Daggers, The Promise or The Banquet (and I would care less for Curse of Golden Flower). Tight pacing, with unexpected twists and turns, about how Ge Li brilliantly outwits the formidable Commander and his huge troops from the marauding nation. At the same time, he has to face treachery from the politicians of the nation he is defending. This isn't a martial arts movie per se, so no exciting martial arts sequences.

The antiwar movie explores the tragedies of war (with some epic, large scales battles) in which the director does not focus on the celebration of the victorious when each battle is won or lost. Rather, he shows the outcome of the war, the miseries of the lives lost, of losing one's loved ones in war. No one is a winner in war. In a way, he's succeeded in conveying the message of peace.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Is there any quality difference between the UK (Metrodome) and US (Dragon Dynasty) Blu Rays? Thinking about buying... but not sure which to go for.

Brilliant movie, I agree, ranks about my absolute favourites when it comes to modern-day HK / Mainland co-ops. Andy Lau as the Mozi strategist is blisteringly charismatic here, one of his all-time top 10 performances in my book (and that’s sayin’ something considering the man’s generally high acting standard and his incredible work ethic!)

Dunno about differences between the UK and US Blu’s, but noted that my HK Deltamac issue definitely pales in comparism to the DD.

Guest Markgway

Anyone compared the US and UK BDs? Not sure which to go for and knowing me I always choose the wrong one!

Archived