Day Shift (2021) - Karla Souza, Jamie Foxx, Snoop Dog, Scott Adkins

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

This Netlfix produced horror thriller will mark the directorial debut of stunt coordinator, Martial Artist and actor J.J Perry. Click on the link below for further details regarding this up-coming production.

Day Shift sees Jamie Foxx play a hard-working, blue-collar dad who just wants to provide a good life for his quick-witted daughter, but his mundane San Fernando Valley pool cleaning job is a front for his real source of income, hunting and killing vampires as part of an international union of vampire hunters.

source- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/snoop-dogg-scott-adkins-join-netflix-vampire-thriller-day-shift?fbclid=IwAR2AHieHs6JYfLf3RqiKRoXHfNawySU8kDut5YT0pzl_Su2Un_N0FV2PmqU

• Like 3

Entertaining enough with some bloody action!

Although "Day Shift" dose lose a lot of momentum especially towards the end and eventually ends up feeling incredibly generic.

Some good laughs here and there with Dave Franco as the comic-relief. Good soundtrack which I think deserves a quick mention.

Our man Scott Adkins gets some screen time as one of his stereotype characters. But at least he can show off some of his skills.

Jamie Foxx was OK. Taking out Vamps he kicked ass! As for his acting it was pretty hit and miss. Which I would say goes for most of the cast. Some funny reference to producer and stunt team. You'll know when you hear or see it.

Story... Well there's really nothing here to discuss. Although I did enjoy the first half A LOT more than the rest of the movie.

Basically what we're left with is another forgettable Netflix production with at least this time around some good action. Courtesy of 87eleven again. These guys are keeping themselves busy!

• Like 2

Either way, I enjoyed the film and could we please have a spinoff movie with the Nazarian Brothers? I would love to see Scott Adkins and Steve Howey do the one-two punch again! For Howey, he went from playing Weatherby in DOA Dead or Alive to both this and the upcoming True Lies series...okay and Shameless where he still showed his funny chops.

947-lssi3.jpg
Steve-Howey-in-Day-Shift.jpg?q=50&fit=cr

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I actually really enjoyed this one. I think I liked it more than both Prey and Carter. It's a real throwback to the 80's and 90's fun, horror-action movies like Fright NightFrom Dusk 'Til DawnVampires etc.

While none of the comedy hits (I laughed perhaps twice), the action and overall fun feel of the film is an absolute joy. I found myself smiling at the mere existence of the film. It's just so enjoyable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Either way, I enjoyed the film and could we please have a spinoff movie with the Nazarian Brothers?

I thought the same watching it! 

I was actually surprised how well JJ Perry handled the direction, Day Shift reminded me of The Frighteners (1996) in the way how it easily combines horror and comedy to such a fun effect. Perry succeeded in creating atmosphere, building tension and shifting tones, and the idea of a vampire comedy set in present day LA just has something about it. No doubt, the soundtrack helped a lot. The intro shots of LA with California Love remix for some reason felt like some of the best I've seen, partly thanks to the great color palette as well, you can feel the vibe of summertime Cali.

Had it been shorter and with a more developed story, it would have been great. It just feels so fresh from the start, and by the time the first vampire fight kicks in, I had a feeling closer to watching a jiangshi movie made in the West, rather than your typical western vampire film. Loved Jamie Foxx in the role of Bud as well as Dogg as the black cowboy. Though not a big fan of Franco, gotta say he did well here. But Nazarian bros.. if for no other reason, I'd watch Day Shift for Scott Adkins. Loved his character's choice of weapons here, some sweet kills in the hive scene as well. Also, loved the little nod to the Lost Boys.

Speaking of the action, was there ever a vampire movie featuring MMA style action? 87Eleven should be credited for this little display of brilliance.

Day Shift is both creative and imaginative, in its action and as a whole, only problem is it just feels like the second half lost the freshness and settled with some rather generic solutions. Potentially great but in the end, just very good I'm afraid.

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Speaking of the action, was there ever a vampire movie featuring MMA style action?

Check out Donnie Yen's choreography in 2003's 'Twins Effect'.

• Like 5

On 8/16/2022 at 12:53 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Check out Donnie Yen's choreography in 2003's 'Twins Effect'.

Your memory serves you well @One Armed Boxer. I've not only forgotten about Donnie, but HK in general. That choreo looks better then I remember it though, might give that one a rewatch, I remember liking the first one.

• Like 3

Watched this last night and I really enjoyed it. The Nazarian brothers really stole the movie though.  They needed to be in it way more. Hopefully they get their own spinoff movie.  

• Like 2

Decent film but like previously mentioned the Nazarian brothers should have been in it way more,worth a watch though and great action👍👍👍

• Like 2