Introducing a friend to Kung Fu movies

Duel to the Death

Duel to the Death

I have a friend that i watch movies with. We usually watch Horror and Fantasy movies mostly. He has never seen Kung Fu movies so i finally started adding them to the queue. 

Sometime last year i got him to watch Project A. That was his first venture into Kung Fu movies. So finally 2 night ago i showed him Master of the Flying Guillotine and tonight it was 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. He's liked everything i have showed him so far.

He laughed at the fighting sound effects. I had to explain that all Kung Fu movies have those. That's just how it's always been. And also he found it funny that in Guillotine that Chinese actors were playing the Indian and Tai characters. Tonight i tried my best to hype up Gordon Liu and Alexander Fu Sheng. And explain Shaolin Temples. I'm terrible at explaining all this lol

Have to put some thought into what i should show him next. I could stick with Shaw Brothers and go with 5 Deadly Venoms, or go with some comedy like Knockabout or Spooky Encounters etc. Or go really crazy like Kung Fu Cult Master or Buddha's Palm. There are many other classics. Prodigal Son, Heroes of the East, 36th Chamber, Drunken Master. Or maybe i should go with my user name, Duel to the Death. I want to watch all of these. We are suppose to be starting a Godzilla marathon soon so it could be a while before we get to anything else. 

• Like 6

I showed some friends who knew nothing about the genre 5 Deadly Venoms and they actually really liked it because of the strong story.  I think Magnificent Butcher and Knockabout are also really solid picks.  

• Like 5

Super Ninja

I wouldn't go Buddha Palm crazy on the guy, or pick something Canto humor heavy. Be gentle, go with the obvious, Prodigal Son or 36th Chamber. It can be hard to understand, but these movies take getting used to for newbies. When I first introduced Japanese movies to my friends, I recommended stuff like Ichi the Killer. Most of them never asked for a recommendation again.  

Believe it or not, uninitiated viewers can't percieve Duel to the Death as one of the greatest films ever made. Yeah, go figure. I've met this woman at a festival where I had the chance to see it on the big screen. I wanted to hear her opinion later and she said something like haha ninjas flying and pretty much ridiculed the movie. I never spoke to her again.

• Like 6

One Armed Boxer
4 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Be gentle, go with the obvious, Prodigal Son or 36th Chamber. It can be hard to understand, but these movies take getting used to for newbies.

Agree. My go-to for newbies is always 'Drunken Master 2', literally works every time, it's the perfect kung-fu movie.

I'll never understand conversations where 'The Lucky Stars' movies get recommended as 'entry' movies into the kung-fu genre!

5 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

I've met this woman at a festival where I had the chance to see it on the big screen. I wanted to hear her opinion later and she said something like haha ninjas flying and pretty much ridiculed the movie. I never spoke to her again.

This is so harsh it made me laugh out loud! You're right about perceptions though. I showed my friend 'SPL' which he absolutely loved it and had his jaw on the floor after the extended finale. I told him that if he liked that wait until you see the main guy in his prime, and so we double billed it and watched 'In the Line of Duty 4' straight after. Once it wrapped I turned to him and asked what he thought, and he just said "What the hell was that!?" as if I'd just subjected him to the biggest pile of garbage he'd ever seen. After that I got it, for the uninitiated character and story matter first, it doesn't matter how good the action is, so that's been the principle I've followed since.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Super Ninja
9 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Agree. My go-to for newbies is always 'Drunken Master 2', literally works every time, it's the perfect kung-fu movie.

I'll keep that in mind. I still keep my fu to myself. I know I'll always enjoy watching it alone and I don't think I could stand someone mocking the movies I worship.

12 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

This is so harsh it made me laugh out loud! You're right about perceptions though. I showed my friend 'SPL' which he absolutely loved it and had his jaw on the floor after the extended finale. I told him that if he liked that wait until you see the main guy in his prime, and so we double billed it and watched 'In the Line of Duty 4' straight after. Once it wrapped I turned to him and asked what he thought, and he just said "What the hell was that!?" as if I'd just subjected him to the biggest pile of garbage he'd ever seen. After that I got it, for the uninitiated character and story matter first, it doesn't matter how good the action is, so that's been the principle I've followed since.

I just knew she can't be helped. 

People still care about the plot and the characters? :tongueout I forget to pay attention to these even when watching good movies.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I'll keep that in mind. I still keep my fu to myself. I know I'll always enjoy watching it alone and I don't think I could stand someone mocking the movies I worship.

I just knew she can't be helped. 

People still care about the plot and the characters? :tongueout I forget to pay attention to these even when watching good movies.

I know some people here just care for the fights and even forward the dvds to go straight to the fighting scenes, but for me, both the plot and the characters are important. And the music.

What about movies such as Dragon blows, Chivalrous robber Lee San, Furious ultimatum, Rage of the Master or Furious slaughter, or Seven indignant as introductions ?

Or, softer, Encounter of the spooky kind or Fist of legend ?

I'm also surprised that nobody talked about Big Boss or Fist of fury or Way of the dragon...

• Like 5

More than 10 years ago I made a list of suggestions (based on my tastes) for newbies:

BRUCE LEE:

Fist of Fury (Chinese Connection)

Enter the Dragon

Way of the Dragon (Return of the Dragon)

Big Boss (Fist of Fury)

JOHN LIU:

Secret Rivals 1 (w/ Hwang Jang Lee)

Secret Rivals 2 (w/ Hwang Jang Lee)

Death Duel of Kung Fu

GORDON LIU

Shaolin Challenges Ninja

36th Chamber of Shaolin

LO LIEH:

Five Fingers of Death

WONG TAO:

Fatal Needles & Fatal Fists

Challenge of Death

TAN TAO-LIANG:

The Himalayan

Invincible Kung Fu Legs (Legs Fighters)

Shaolin Deadly Kicks (aka Flash Legs)

ANGELA MAO:

Hapkido (aka Lady Kung Fu)

Lady Whirlwind aka Deep Thrust  

Deadly China Doll

Lady Constables

SAMMO HUNG:

Iron Fisted Monk

Odd Couple

Prodigal Son

Magnificent Butcher

Broken Oath ( w/Angela Mao)

JIMMY WANG YU:

Beach of the War Gods

The Chinese Boxer (Hammer of God)

Return of the Chinese Boxer

Deadly Silver Spear

The One-Armed Boxer (Chinese Professionals)

The One-Armed Swordsman

TI LUNG:

Opium Kung Fu Master

Deadly Breaking Sword

All Men Are Brothers

5 Shaolin Masters

Heroic Ones, The

THE VENOMS:

5 Deadly Venoms (5 Venoms)

Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (3 Evil Masters)

Shaolin Rescuers

Legend of the Fox

10 Tigers of Kwangtung

Invincible Shaolin

CHENG PEI PEI

Come Drink With Me

Flying Dagger 

Golden Swallow, The  

Golden Sword  

Lady hermit

Lady of Steel  

Thundering Sword, The  

LEUNG KAR YAN:

Legend of a Fighter

Warriors Two

The Victim

CHEN KUAN TAI:

Iron Monkey

Boxer From Shantung

Executioners From Shaolin

POLLY SHANG KWAN

Tigresses

A Girl Called Tigress

5 Elements of Kung Fu (Adventures at Shaolin)

99 Cycling Swords aka Lung Wei Village  

SHIH SZU

Clan of Amazons

Crimson Charm  

Heroes of Sung  

Lady Hermit

Lady of the Law

Rescue, The 

JUDY LEE:

7 Spirits of the Pagoda

Assassin

Against Drunken Cat’s Paws (No One Can Touch Her)

Crane Fighter, The  

Queen Boxer aka The Avenger

JACKIE CHAN:

Drunken Master I

Drunken Master II

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Ten Fingers of Death

Fearless Hyena 1 & 2

HWANG JANG LEE:

Hitman in the Hands of Buddha

Jade Statuette

Invincible Armour

Tiger Over Wall

JACK LONG:

7 Grandmasters

• Like 6

One Armed Boxer
45 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm also surprised that nobody talked about Big Boss or Fist of fury or Way of the dragon...

These were some of the first movies I watched when initially getting into kung-fu flicks. It took me a while to decide if it was a genre I wanted to continue exploring... :tongueout

• Like 5

Duel to the Death

Thanks everybody. 

Just to see his reaction I showed him the trailer for Buddha's Palm and his response was "That one. Let's watch that one." 

Yes I am so happy. I had a feeling he'd like the 80s special effects. This is going to be an interesting journey. :yociexp60:

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

Had a few buddies I watched HK movies with 20-30 years ago, but none since and I just like to keep it to myself. A few girlfriends asked about it but I just said it wasn't for them and left it at that. I don't need philistines chiming in with their uneducated opinions on something I love have loved for 35 years. Most people won't understand or appreciate it, so I don't wanna share it with them. They can go watch Marvel movies or Star Wars or whatever.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Had a few buddies I watched HK movies with 20-30 years ago, but none since and I just like to keep it to myself. A few girlfriends asked about it but I just said it wasn't for them and left it at that. I don't need philistines chiming in with their uneducated opinions on something I love have loved for 35 years. Most people won't understand or appreciate it, so I don't wanna share it with them. They can go watch Marvel movies or Star Wars or whatever.

Isn't it a little bit misogynist towards the girlfriends ?

Just seeing that there are a few female members here shows that "this kind of movies Isn't for you " can't be applied to women in general. I heard this kind of remarks myself, which has lead me to avoid telling anyone that I had fallen in martial arts movies since my 12's, which is a shame, because one wouldn't have to be ashamed or afraid of his tastes in life...

• Like 6

TheKungFuRobber
4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Isn't it a little bit misogynist towards the girlfriends ?

Just seeing that there are a few female members here shows that "this kind of movies Isn't for you " can't be applied to women in general. I heard this kind of remarks myself, which has lead me to avoid telling anyone that I had fallen in martial arts movies since my 12's, which is a shame, because one wouldn't have to be ashamed or afraid of his tastes in life...

yeah I would have to concur there.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Just seeing that there are a few female members here shows that "this kind of movies Isn't for you " can't be applied to women in general.

I've known plenty of ladies who like Martial Arts/Asian movies, especially during my College and University days. Men and women can love the genre, but they can also ridcule it too.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

I knew it wasn't for them based on their personality and cinematic track record, so you can all stop clutching your pearls. If I was gay and my boyfriend had the same inquiries I would have told him the same.... nothing to do with gender.

And for some reason y'all missed the part where I said most PEOPLE won't understand or appreciate it so I don't share it with them.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2

Super Ninja
6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I know some people here just care for the fights and even forward the dvds to go straight to the fighting scenes, but for me, both the plot and the characters are important. And the music.

Now that's something I'd never do. No matter how bad the movie is, I have never or would ever fast forward and watch the fights only.

• Like 4

J.J. Hayden

Completely agree with One Armed Boxer . For "normies" there's gotta be a decent plot and acting in the film or they will just tune out. I can definitly see that with ITLOD4, amazing fights but everything else, meh. I'd recomend something kind of middle of the road like Fist Of Legend, by that I mean the plot is straight forward but compelling, the acting and pacing is pretty good, plus the action is good but the more fantastic elements (i.e special powers or wire-work) isn't an issue here.

But try to aim for their tastes to try and find a good crossover, if they like to have a laugh, find a film with one of the classic English dubs, if they like Western action movies with guns and explosions etc, maybe some of the stunt heavy movies from the 80's.

But you said about your friend liking horror, so maybe Spooky Encounters like you mentioned, or if you wanna go a bit further how about Peacock King or the infamous Boxer's Omen (that one's good for a laugh too).

• Like 5

Duel to the Death
2 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Completely agree with One Armed Boxer . For "normies" there's gotta be a decent plot and acting in the film or they will just tune out. I can definitly see that with ITLOD4, amazing fights but everything else, meh. I'd recomend something kind of middle of the road like Fist Of Legend, by that I mean the plot is straight forward but compelling, the acting and pacing is pretty good, plus the action is good but the more fantastic elements (i.e special powers or wire-work) isn't an issue here.

But try to aim for their tastes to try and find a good crossover, if they like to have a laugh, find a film with one of the classic English dubs, if they like Western action movies with guns and explosions etc, maybe some of the stunt heavy movies from the 80's.

But you said about your friend liking horror, so maybe Spooky Encounters like you mentioned, or if you wanna go a bit further how about Peacock King or the infamous Boxer's Omen (that one's good for a laugh too).

I just pre-ordered the Spooky Encounters Blu Ray from Eureka. I want to show him that one for sure, but might as well wait for the Blu-ray. I do have it on dvd as well.

Would you believe i have not seen One Armed Boxer yet myself. I have seen One Armed Swordsman, also Master of the Flying Guillotine. And i have this memory that i rented Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsman 15 years ago or so. 

• Like 5

J.J. Hayden

I didn't see Shaws movies until late in the game as they were very hard to come by in UK. So it's harder for me to watch them as they're usually a lot slower and more dancey than the Golden Harvest stuff, keep that in mind too when showing them to normies. The Zatoichi movies are pretty good, they's about 20 or something and I believe I was happy with most. But I think Z meets the One Armed Swordsman was one of my least favs, so if you liked it keep checking out more because imo they just get better.

• Like 5

Super Ninja
10 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

Would you believe i have not seen One Armed Boxer yet myself.

Then the upcoming Eureka bluray is a must, perfect timing. 

• Like 5

Duel to the Death
3 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I didn't see Shaws movies until late in the game as they were very hard to come by in UK. So it's harder for me to watch them as they're usually a lot slower and more dancey than the Golden Harvest stuff, keep that in mind too when showing them to normies. The Zatoichi movies are pretty good, they's about 20 or something and I believe I was happy with most. But I think Z meets the One Armed Swordsman was one of my least favs, so if you liked it keep checking out more because imo they just get better.

I'm late to the game on most of the classics. I seen a nice handful of them about 15 years ago when i was doing netflix through the mail. And then it wasn't until last year i went crazy and i watched and bought so many movies. And now this year i have started back up again.

I have a habit of buying movies without seeing them first. I bought 4 movies today just based on the trailers. So far that has payed off. Only House of Traps was a slight letdown but i don't regret buying it. 

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden
3 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

I have a habit of buying movies without seeing them first. I bought 4 movies today just based on the trailers. So far that has payed off. Only House of Traps was a slight letdown but i don't regret buying it. 

That's cool, be careful though, I have amassed over 1000 DVDs, most bought when I was a kid and only about half are worth keeping, I kinda regret it now :P

I'd recomend trying to watch them first if you can. If you find something you really like, then get it on disc, especially since everything's being censored lately.

• Like 4

Duel to the Death

To my surprise my friend said Buddha's Palm was his favorite so far. I had my doubts. I'm also glad since i love the wacky zany ones with the supernatural stuff and lasers shooting everywhere.

• Like 4