Slumber Party Massacre (2021) - Hannah Gonera, Frances Sholto-Douglas, Alex McGregor, Mila Rayne, Reze-Tiana Wessels, Rob Van Vuuren

AlbertV

slumber-part-massacre-title.jpg

The shadow of Rob van Vuuren as Russ Thorn next to the OG Russ Thorn, Michael Villella.

Slumber-Party-Massacre-Reboot-Killer-.jp

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, nectarsis said:

"original movie"  lol

LOL they mean its a SYFY original movie as despite the debut at Fantastic Fest, it will premiere on Syfy. The general consensus among the fanbase is that the film is actually a very good remake. This comes from those who went to Fantastic Fest and saw it there. They paid homage to the original, added a bit of campiness, and goes for the jugular when it comes to the kill scenes. They even flipped the script on certain aspects seen in horror films. 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Looking forward to the podcast, can't wait!!! 

Awesome! We're hoping to do the episode just after the film comes out so the cast can discuss making the film and whatnot. Hopefully it will be as long as my last episode, which nearly runs an hour and a half. :)

• Like 3

With the movie premiering tomorrow night, co-star Michael Lawrence Potter did a mini-reaction to the original Slumber Party Massacre and plugs the remake.

• Like 2

Well, I made it an hour in before I had to turn it. I tried to find something to like about this movie. I really did. But man, this is the biggest pile of nothing I have seen since the Star Wars Sequels. Awful characters, obnoxious fake scares(I counted from 6 to 8 in just the short time I watched it), bad writing, boring kills, and devoid of any charm at all. I guess the  people who made this spent so much time trying to prove their '"point", that they forgot to make a movie that would actually be entertaining. I recommend just staying away from this trash and watching one of the classic slasher films like Halloween(1978) or "Friday the 13th". 1/5 Avoid. 

Well, It has made me want to see what the original is like. So I guess it did that much right. lol

• Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, DarthKato said:

I recommend just staying away from this trash and watching one of the classic slasher films like Halloween(1978) or "Friday the 13th". 1/5 Avoid. 

Well, It has made me want to see what the original is like. So I guess it did that much right. lol

On the other side, I actually found this to be entertaining. There are definitely references to not only the original film, but even the 1987 sequel. The kills to me were reminiscent of the 2018 Halloween movie, a mix of subtle and graphic. There is even a satire bit about "toxic masculinity" and "kick ass women" that amps up the film's attempt at making this a feminist slasher. And Rob Van Vuuren I thought was a great Russ Thorn. He looked scary with his expressions and the final act of the film I was totally thrown off because it was so unexpected, but in a way predictable. And they do flip the switch on certain tropes used in the original film as well. 

Rita Mae Brown originally intended the screenplay as a "parody" or "satire" of slasher films so Suzanne Keilly in essence, brought out what Brown wanted to nearly 40 years ago. 

I give this a solid 4.5 out of 5

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Such polarizing views on KFF! I might give it a rental just to see which way I lean.

It is a good thing for the polarizing views....it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay :) 

Update on the podcast episode; Schedule permitting, I have one of the cast members interested in being a guest. 

• Like 3

Update on the podcast episode: It looks like we are gearing up to record next Friday (11/12) and I will tell you two of the guests: Michael Lawrence Potter ("John") and Rob Van Vuuren ("Russ Thorn") will be appearing on the episode. 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2021 at 6:53 AM, AlbertV said:

Here's the video portion of the podcast:

Fun stuff we learned from this podcast:

• Rob Van Vuuren did his research by watching clips and a BTS interview with original Russ Thorn, Michael Villella, and basically copied his movements (Rob comes from a physical comedy background so it helps he was able to emulate the character, which according to a lot of reviews I read, got praised for)
  • The film only took 18 days to shoot. According to both Michael and Rob, it was one of the smoothest shoots with virtually no issues happening. They credit Danishka Esterhazy, who knew exactly what she was going for and got the full support of cast and crew. 
  • The scene where Russ attacks the nine people in the cabin (with the strobe-light effect) was deemed one of the funniest scenes to shoot where even Rob couldn't help but laugh. 
  • Rob originally read for Dave (the mechanic character), but eventually got the role of Russ Thorn himself. 
  • Michael Potter had no clue what movie he was auditioning for. He only learned about the character at first, and it was after he won the role, he learned what the movie was. 
  • Michael and I told Rob he needs to see "Slumber Party Massacre II", as he would get a kick out of the reborn Thorn, now a leather jacket wearing rock and roller with the guitar with the drill bit.
  • Aside from established shots that Danishka Esterhazy used from the original into the remake, there are some MacGuffins, such as the goose lamp from the original and the guitar from SPM2.
  • Rob said if he is asked to return for the sequel, he would gladly do it as he saw the film for the 1st time two days before we recorded the podcast, when it premiered at South Africa's HorrorFest event. 

A few reviews praised the first hour of the film, but were turned off by the final act of the film, which provided a shocking twist in the vein of another classic horror film. 

• Like 2

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3693767/years-fun-slumber-party-massacre-reboot-coming-scream-factory-blu-ray-alternate-ending/

The film will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on February 1, 2022. The extras include commentary by Danishka Esterhazy, the trailer, and an alternate ending. Not too fond of the cover, but maybe they'll do a reversible cover with the more kick-butt cover.

slumber-party-massacre-blu-ray.jpg?resiz

• Like 2

The film scored a whopping 11 nominations at the South African HorrorFest Awards and it won two: Best Production Design (Bobby Cardoso) and Best Make Up FX (Clinton Smith). Danishka Esterhazy was nominated for Best Director, Mila Rayne and Jennifer Steyn were nominated for Best Supporting Female, and Rob van Vuuren was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Russ Thorn.

• Like 2

SLUMBER_PARTY_MASSACRE_2000x3000.jpg?w=3

The film is now on Digital platforms in the UK and Ireland courtesy of Lightbulb Entertainment and will be released on DVD on January 10 (before the U.S. DVD/Blu-ray release on February 1) 

• Like 2